System #460 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola Paul,

This is my point of view only, and not necessary is a statement. The electrostatic speakers are not power hungry at all. They do not drain any power from the mains AC. Their consumption is less than 5 watts. I do not see any reason why you are going to need a heavy super big AC mains cable.

This is what the manual says about the power consumption:

Mains Power Draw
Standby: <1W each Max: <5W each

Think of this: the electrostatic speakers are like a water pond. There is no drain of current at all, just a tiny bit for charging the stats, and to charge the panels time is less than a second.

It is only static electricity. The cable supplied by Martin Logan is a very nice cable. The current supply capacity by this cable is beyond the need to charge the stators. Remember that the stats behaviour is like a capacitor.
Enjoy your CLXs...to my ears, are one of the best speakers of the world!!!

Happy listening!
Thanks for the reply. I picked up my CLX’s pre owned and they came with the standard throw away cables not the upgraded cables that originally shipped with the CLX. I’m using a pair of entry level Pangea AC 14 so that is an improvement.

Thanks for the reply. I picked up my CLX’s pre owned and they came with the standard throw away cables not the upgraded cables that originally shipped with the CLX. I’m using a pair of entry level Pangea AC 14 so that is an improvement.
Paul, if you really want to improve your mains AC quality, read about a balanced power conditioner. There are more expensive conditioners, but believe when I tell you this: I have heard them all, and for the best for the buck, the balanced AC conditioner is the way to go. You should get one at least 20A of current capacity. Furman is one of the brands that offers balanced line conditioner.
Read the explanation regarding balanced power:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Furman-P-2...841898?hash=item1c68d482ea:g:MAMAAOSwhMpT0Vw-
It is a little bit expensive, but your CLXs deserves this. I use a BPT Signature Plus 3.5, and before I had the Transparent remote control power station, but the BPT smoked it by far. My noise floor is breath taking. You don't hear anything at 1:00 AM when everybody is sleeping, and the ambience is dead quiet. Not a small hiss.

This helps the nuances and the way that the musician (s) express the music. The micro dynamics and the feeling is granted. Also the stage with a truly sense of 3D. The clarity of the musical instruments, and the noise free is marvellous. Give it a try, you might like it as I do!

Happy listening!

Name - Roberto

Location - Costa Rica

Speakers - CLX, Stage x, Motion 4

Subwoofer: BF 210 with CLX crossover special filter.

Pre-amp - modded Onkyo PR-886 digital preamplifier processor

Amp - VTL stereo ST-150 .

Source - M-Dac - Mac Mini - Bel Canto CD2 Transport and a Bel Canto Reflink to convert USB to coax. Also an Oppo 103 as DVD Blu Ray player.

Center amp - Perreaux

Rear amplifier - McIntosch MC-2505. And Bedini 25/25

Also have a Harmonic Recovery System for each channel.

Cables: most Nordost Blue Heaven. Also I use DHlabs interconnects for rear channels. For digital cable, I use a DHLabs Mirage USB and D750 silver digital Interconnect

Mechanical ground for amp: Shun Mook U.D.R For DVD and preamplifier: Shun Mook S.D.R.

Room Eq: Shun Mook Mpingo discs and Spacial Control Octet.

AC line filter: Transparent PowerLink Reference.

I am using right now in my room, the speakers are, the CLXs, the Stage X for center, and for rear Motion 4. As a Pre-amplifier, I am using an Onkyo with the power supply modified, and also as a digital HT processor. For Stereo only, I use an AudioLab M-DAC, with a Mac Mini via USB to a Bel Canto Ulink coax to the DAC. Also have a Harmonic Recovery system for each channel. The main amp is an ARC VT-100 MK II modified at the power supply too. I use Kt-120 as power tubes. For the Stage X , I use a Perreaux and for the rears a McIntosch MC 2505. Cables Nordost blue heaven for main speakers. DH labs for others. Interconnect Nordost blue heaven mostly. TV- Vizio '65 " 3D DVD Blu Ray Player Oppo 103 and Bel Canto CD2 CD transport. Mpingos all over the room, and on top of all my system components.

Hola Chicos,

My system had changed with so many items that I would like to make and updated

Martin Logan:
CLXs main speakers
Stage X: center channel
Motion 4; rear speakers
Sub woofer: BF-210

Main preamplifier: Conrad Johnson ET-7
Main power amp: Conrad Johnson Classic One Twenty SE

For surround sound:
audio processor: Anthem MV-60
power amp 3 channel: Anthem MCA325

Turntable: Linn Sondek LP-12 with Goldmund vinyl plater
Tonearm: Unitrack tonearm by Magnepan
Cartridge: Denon DL103R

DAC: Holo May KteUSB
USB Cable: LushˆV3

Cables: Nordost SPM Reference, speakers and Interconnects RCA, single ended.

Accessories: Shun Mook Mechanical Grounding, Shun Mook discs, Spatial sextet.

Audio Halograph: Shakti Halograph
Electromagnetic stabilizer: Shakti Stone

DVD Player: Oppo BDP203

CD PLAYER: Bel Canto CD3t

Computer for music only: Mac Pro late 2014 cylindrical shape and 22 Teras of good music. 7 Hard drives.

A.C. Line Conditioner: BPT BP-3.5 Signature Plus

Last edited:
Name - Roberto

Location - Costa Rica

Speakers - CLX, Stage x, Motion 4

Subwoofer: BF 210 with CLX crossover special filter.

Pre-amp - Conrad Johnson ET7V2

Amp - Conrad Johnson Classic One Twenty SE

Source - DAC Holo May KTE, Turntable Linn Sondek LP-12, cartridge Sumiko Blackbird low output MC, phono preamp: Vincent PHO 300,

Center amp - Anthem MCA325

Rear amplifier - Anthem MCA325

Audio and Video Processor - Anthem AVM60, Oppo Blu Ray BDP-105.

Cables: Nordoat SPM Reference speaker and IC.

Mechanical ground for amp: Shun Mook U.D.R For DVD and preamplifier: Shun Mook S.D.R.

Room Eq: Shun Mook Mpingo discs and Spacial Control Octet.

AC line Conditioner: BPT BP SIGNATURE 3.5 Plus

Computer - Apple Mac Pro late 2013 with Lush V3 USB cable.

Hola Chicos,

I just upgrade my preamplifier. I have now an amazing Conrad Johnson ET-7V2. All I can say is that this is the best sound system that I ever own. It's like magic. Transparent, huge stage and a truly sense of 3D, the right tonal timber, the harmonic texture of the musical instrument is breathtaking. The signal to noise ration is jaw-dropping.

I just finished to listen the first concerto for violin by Nicolo Paganini played by Mr, Salvatore Accardo. Oh boy, you can feel the movements of the bow, and the quality sound with an enrichment and outstanding definition. My Holo May Kte DAC shines with this new preamplifier.

The voices are projected to the air and stay there...I am seating in the best place of the theatre. There isn't any congestion at all. All good recordings, old ones and new ones are played like magic. This is a truly high end goods.

Guys, you can't go wrong with ML and CJ stuff. My ears are very happy. I am rediscovering all my music again.

The bass is robust with much definition, the piano is beautiful, with energy everywhere...and what a coherence!. The cymbals shine and also are where the drummer is located. You can call easily when the drummer is using wooden tips or nylon tips in the sticks. What a definition!!!

Happy listening!

Hola Chicos,

I just upgrade my preamplifier. I have now an amazing Conrad Johnson ET-7V2. All I can say is that this is the best sound system that I ever own. It's like magic. Transparent, huge stage and a truly sense of 3D, the right tonal timber, the harmonic texture of the musical instrument is breathtaking. The signal to noise ration is jaw-dropping.

I just finished to listen the first concerto for violin by Nicolo Paganini played by Mr, Salvatore Accardo. Oh boy, you can feel the movements of the bow, and the quality sound with an enrichment and outstanding definition. My Holo May Kte DAC shines with this new preamplifier.

The voices are projected to the air and stay there...I am seating in the best place of the theatre. There isn't any congestion at all. All good recordings, old ones and new ones are played like magic. This is a truly high end goods.

Guys, you can't go wrong with ML and CJ stuff. My ears are very happy. I am rediscovering all my music again.

The bass is robust with much definition, the piano is beautiful, with energy everywhere...and what a coherence!. The cymbals shine and also are where the drummer is located. You can call easily when the drummer is using wooden tips or nylon tips in the sticks. What a definition!!!

Happy listening!
This Pre-amp?

https://conradjohnson.com/et7-enhanced-triode-preamplifier/

Hola Chicos. I was using a SPM Nordost Reference RCA interconnect, but it was 1.00m long. I just got a silver coat 1.5m long with 8 AWH. Also had Rhodium RCAS made in Germany. Really sounds great. With this cable, I am getting more sense of 3D, the sound is more like having a stage behind the speakers...the speakers totally disappear. Now I have a bigger room, this is fantastic. IMG_6997.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my system with all new toys that I have added.
Nice to see someone else running CLXs in less than a huge room. 👍 Like me it appears you have plenty of diffraction with stuff in the room. I am guessing it sounds great.
I too have a round table between CLXs and catbird seat. Might I suggest putting a round rug on the table top to reduce direct reflection. I found that it helped sound.

Thanks for the advice...and yes, I am in heaven. The truth is that my room has a lot of tweaks too. I use Shun Mook Discs and also the Mechanical Grounding sets. Also, the walls have a lot of stuff too. Believe me when I say this is a great sound quality. I have friends that have bigger rooms with the CLXs and I am not going to say that they sound bad, but I do like more what I am getting.
Thanks for your kind words!

Happy listening!

Cheers Robbo mate!

I certainly do believe you're enjoying some very fine tunes, especially with the CJ pre-power combination and Nordost cables, as you said, you're in heaven!

Your room (batcave) now looks much neater and tidy, compared to when I first saw it... good stuff, keep up the good work 👏

Keep those fine tubes glowing!
Woof! RJ

Thanks dear friend RJ...now I am listening a new silver plated coated with an AWG8 thick. It comes with a Rhodium RCAs. I don't know the brand. It was a gift from my brother. I can't asking how he got it because it is a gift. I like very much the size. It is a 1.5m and one of my Nordost Reference SPM is 1.00m. I do like a lot what I am hearing.

I retuned to adjust my Shun Mook Spatial Control Sextet...during the time, they were not measuring the same height and this height is very important. Once I did it, everything collapsed in a wonderful sense of 3D...it Is incredible. Your ears can tell a difference of moving them 1/4 inch easily.

http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct_4.html
Happy listening!

Last edited:
Thanks dear friend RJ...now I am listening a new silver plated coated with an AWG8 thick. It comes with a Rhodium RCAs. I don't know the brand. It was a gift from my brother. I can't asking how he got it because it is a gift. I like very much the size. It is a 1.5m and one of my Nordost Reference SPM is 1.00m. I do like a lot what I am hearing.

I retuned to adjust my Shun Mook Spatial Control Sextet...during the time, they were not measuring the same height and this height is very important. Once I did it, everything collapsed in a wonderful sense of 3D...it Is incredible. Your ears can tell a difference of moving them 1/4 inch easily.

http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct_4.html
Happy listening!
Collapsed is not right. Snapped is much better word to give a better understanding of what happened for good and right!

Back