System #45 (Monolith IIIx, SL3XC, Sequel II)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonfo,
Egads, I can't imagine what your cabling looks like with all that equipment.

Actually, it's pretty embarrassing, with over 100 cables required, it’s hard to have it looking neat. Heck just getting it all wired up takes six hours and requires visio diagrams, pre-labeled ends, etc.
Fortunately the majority of that is Balanced cables.
To get this looking neat would require all new cables for just the right lengths and somebody more anal-compulsive than me ;)

Check out the garden-hose cable for component video (it’s a 35’ going to the PJ). Running that one under the floor was fun.
BTW- All speaker cables dive straight into the floor and go in the crawl-space straight into each ML. So no mess out in the room, it’s all here…

Attachments

• Rack_Back_sml.JPG
    Rack_Back_sml.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,024
Embarressing? Not to me. Impressive is more like it. That's an incredible amount of cabling to sort out and wire up, let alone pay for.

The component cable was the first thing I noticed. Garden hose? More like firehose.

More pics of the room, as my brother showed with a nice digital SLR.

Here is the front of the room, again, hard to put any light up there as the room is designed to keep that area as dark as possible:

Attachments

• HT_Front_of_Room_sml.jpg
    HT_Front_of_Room_sml.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 953
A cool 'through the speaker' shot of the room from behind the front left Monolith:

Attachments

• HT_Monolith_View1.jpg
    HT_Monolith_View1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 937
Front reflections from Monolith, those new panels sure are reflective:

Attachments

• ML_Reflection_sml.jpg
    ML_Reflection_sml.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 943
And another shot of the room from the front, this time will the 'music' scene lights on:

MT_3Qtr_Rear_4_sml.JPG

Last edited:
Screen Mount - All new steel frame

I've been using a fairly cheesy arrangement as my screen mount for seven years now, and it was overdue to engineer something solid and adjustable.

While those seem like conflicting requirements, it is indeed possible to build a frame support that meets both. Read on ...

With a CRT projector, getting the screen positioned relative to the PJ (and vice-versa) is critical. It must be vertically and horizontally centered, which means the frame must allow X/Y axis adjustments. It also must be within a fairly tight tolerance in terms of distance to the PJ (and stay there, so focus is not affected). So add the Z-axis as well (front-to-back) as needing adjustment ability.

Also, this screen sits 3 feet out into the room, as it’s acoustically transparent and has a rather large center behind it. It also places the screen in the same plane as the front of the Monoliths.

Nothing commercial that I could find to do this, so once again, a bit if DIY is required in to solve my needs (hum, there’s a theme here…) ;)

During the research, I found that adjustable framing elements actually abound and can be re-purposed to this type of need. So I chose some steel (cheap, strong) channelized framing and accessories to do this.

Using the McMaster-Carr site, I selected the elements (listed in the attached PDF) to do this. Several 6’ elements would be used to create the x/y framing with adjustable height and lateral movements to support almost a foot of variance in X or Y. Each component is tied to another with sliding fasteners, so it’s easy to loosen a set of fasteners and move the parts until they are at the right settings and lock them down.

The Z axis arms are 3’ in length and basically pretty much position the screen just about right without further tweaking. But they can be slid back and forth 4” or so to let me both square up the screen to the PJ (being square to the wall is no help, as it’s the screen that needs to be aligned with the optics from the PJ) and ensure focus range is maintained.

The screen frame itself, which is lightweight aluminum, has mounting holes that some adapter plates are screwed into. On the bottom, there are some 20” aluminum legs and adjustable feet that support the front end of this thing and let me adjust the vertical height and skew of the screen.

The end result came out better than I expected. At first, before you lock down all the junctions (so one can adjust), it felt strong, but wobbly. But boy, once I lock these fasteners down, this heavy gauge steel frame is going nowhere!, It’s rock solid.

No more worries about bumping the screen frame while vacuuming or other mishaps. The concern now is not getting hurt if you bump into the frame, it will not budge :cool:

OK, enough words, let’s see if a pic or two can do this justice:

[2009.04.12 comment: The wall behind the center is now fully treated. See newer photo's from this angle later in the thread]

Screen_Mount1_sml.jpg

Last edited:
And here is another shot of the lower portion, showing one of the Z-axis arms better:

Screen_Mount2_sml.jpg

And here is the parts list. It's an attached zipped word Doc so you can click through on the part #'s.

Attachments

• ScreenFrame_PartsList.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 246
Very cool :cool: looks like things are never done, but always improving :music: :bowdown:

Visit with JonFo

I was very fortunate this past week, while in Atlanta, to have a couple hours to visit Jonathon and his lovely wife, and get a first-hand look/listen of his INCREDIBLE system! Believe me, the posted pictures can't do justice in conveying the sheer magnitude of what they've created! The visual synergy of the purple and black decore (much of it customized by his wife), anchored with blue LED lighting and lava lamps, deserves a full spread in a designer A/V mag. I took a few pics while there, but frankly, they would be redundant to post here again.

Firstly, Jonathon lives in a gorgeous mountain-top community, just north of Atlanta, and the incredible views along the way really set the stage for what was to come.

The homes contemporary styling is carried into his home theater/listening room, which is a perfect blend of art and function.

Firstly, Jon gave me a 30 min tour of his setup, which, behind the scenes, looks like Mission Control. The "brains" of his sytem are really in his head, and all the speakers, components, and wiring, are merely tools to convey his ideas into sight and sound. And do they ever!

His incredible ML Monolith's with custom-built center and infinite baffle sub are a sight to behold. With racks and racks of power supplies and amplifier arrays, various sound and video processors, outboard crossovers and switches, all integrated with multiple computer-based and wireless remote controls, he has constructed the most elaborate system I have ever laid eyes on.

After explaining the basics of his system (which frankly, I only grasped bits and pieces of) we sat down for a listen.

I had brought my own compilation "demo CD" which I have also heard on other ML systems (Craig's and George's). Jon played the CD in pure two-channel mode (Monolith plus sub), as well as his processed "three-channel" and "surround" modes. Overall, the sound is detailed and full, with a "wall of sound" across the entire width of the room (in two and three channel mode), and total immersion of sound in the full "surround" mode. When invoked, the "butt kicker" subs embedded in his listening couch takes everything to the next level.

Overall, imaging was precise, both laterally and front to back, but "larger than life" compared to most systems I've heard. Bass was the deepest I've ever heard, and midrange vocals smooth, though a tad less "organic" sounding than some tube-based systems. By comparison, the Summit setups that Craig and I have, yield a more intimate sound, at least from within the "sweet spot". Jon's system has an immense "sweet spot" and even from a far lateral sitting position, instruments and voices are rendered accurately within the soundstage.

He next played some SACD's in full surround mode, including one of the Telarc 5.1 demos, and a wonderful Jacques Loussier Trio recording. They, likewise, totally immersed you 360 degrees.

Jon also gave me a demo of his home-grown server streaming ripped WAV tracks, and I found it hard to discern differences from his redbook CD setup. Although not as user-friendly as my Squeezebox/Slimserver, the on-screen PC based display is a lot more flexible, and (I believe) his entire setup can handle higher bit rates than mine.

Lastly, Jon pulled out all stops with his full surround sound home theater demo. Playing both DVD's and hi-res streams from his video server, and controlling ambient room lighting at the push of a button, he transported me both backward and forward in time, visiting King Kong, futuristic worlds, and myriad places in between. His theater presentation bests ANY commercial or home theater I've ever been in, except perhaps an IMAX venue.

Previously, I had commented how one of my favorite classical pieces is Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Jon ended the demo with the spectacular surround sound Animusic DVD version of that piece. It was a fitting finale to wonderful visit.

I regret that I didn't have more time (and knowledge) to further pick Jon's brain about his setup. If I could incorporate a mere fraction of his expertise into my own (maturing) system, I would be much farther along towards achieving audio/video nirvana. Alas, that's what keeps this wonderful hobby interesting!

Kudos again to Jon, and his wife, for their hospitality and friendship, and I look forward to meeting up with them again at future ML get-togethers.

Wow! Sounds like a great visit, Sleepy. I can't wait to experience Jonathan's system myself during the Southeastern Get-Together this fall.

Maybe I just need to ditch my Stage and split a pair of Summits with someone so I can have three matching speakers across the front. :p

Wow is what comes to mind for me as well and seeing Jon's set up live and acutally understanding the tweaks he has patiently tried to explain would be huge.

If you expand the SW listening to people willing to make the pilgramage, I would try as this set up (and Jon's knowlege) is as intriging to me as a visit to Lawarance or seeing a full blown Statement environment.

Amazing!

I guess I'd need a decent "reefer" to appreciate the system :D :rocker:

Kudos again to Jon, and his wife, for their hospitality and friendship, and I look forward to meeting up with them again at future ML get-togethers.

Thanks for the detailed and complimentary write up Alan, we enjoyed having you over, and likewise wish you could have stayed longer. Plenty more content and talk to enjoy. I'm sure we'll do more of it at future get-togethers.

Anytime you’re visiting your family in ATL, just drop me a line if you’d like to come on by again.

Wow! Sounds like a great visit, Sleepy. I can't wait to experience Jonathan's system myself during the Southeastern Get-Together this fall.

Maybe I just need to ditch my Stage and split a pair of Summits with someone so I can have three matching speakers across the front. :p

Hi Rich, yep, be forewarned, once you hear a clean front spread like this, especially on hi-rez discs, it's hard to go back.

I do have that spare SL3 sitting in the room as my light-stand if you want to embark on your own center adventure ;) But half a pair of Summits sounds easier :cool:

Look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks.

Wow is what comes to mind for me as well and seeing Jon's set up live and acutally understanding the tweaks he has patiently tried to explain would be huge.

If you expand the SW listening to people willing to make the pilgramage, I would try as this set up (and Jon's knowlege) is as intriging to me as a visit to Lawarance or seeing a full blown Statement environment.

Amazing!

Thanks John, Anytime you are in ATL or nearby, just drop me a line and a 'private' showing can be arranged. And you're welcome to join the SW meet as well on Sept. 8th.

Funny thing about the SW meet, is that so far, no one is from Atlanta :p
I know there are a lot of ML's in this town, as I've been buying from local dealers for >14 years and they've done good business.

As Sleepy mentioned, the sound coherence across the front is pretty good in my rig. One of the reasons why is that I pay very, very close attention to the timing alignment of all the speakers. Not just Center to Left/Right, but within a speaker (such as the center which has High/Mid-bass/Sub).

Here is graph of the impulse response of the Center channel (blue) and the Right Channel (Green). If there’s a difference, it’s below 0.05ms, in other words, none.

( I happen to have been making measurements for the Variac tests, so I caught this data point as well).

Attachments

• SystemTiming.jpg
    SystemTiming.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 570
Yeah, as for how much time I’ve spent on this, both Rich and Rampage60 asked about this during the meet yesterday. So here’s the story:

I’ve been building up the ML side of this system since I purchased my Sequels new in 1993. Slowly adding new amps, source devices, and other components over time.
I’ve upgraded several components (like going from a 565 to a 568 preamp) new transports, but in general just keep adding stuff. So it’s been evolving over quite some time.

But it is my hobby, so I spend a few hours each weekend on some functional or aesthetic improvement.
After many years, it adds up, sort of like savings (which reminds me, where have those gone :think: )

Back