System #355 (Aerius i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Pratt

Reaction score
Member Name: Andrew

Speakers(s):
- Aerius i's with 2 year old upgraded panels (they have ClearSpars etc)
- MartinLogan Encore center.
- Rear speakers are simple in-ceiling's and the subwoofer is a DIY model I built around a 15" Adire Tumult XBL driver and 500 watt BASH amplifier.

Year Purchased: 2010. I got them a few days ago from a friend (original owner)

Associated Electronics:
- Marantz 5002 receiver
- Motorola HD PVR
- Samsung 52" 6 series LCD TV
- Philips upconverting DVD player (hardly ever used)
- AppleTV
- iMac contains our entire digital library (Music, Movies and Photo's etc) that gets served up to the AppleTV.
- Harmony 890 RF remote

All the AV gear is hidden out of sight down in the laundry room and the Harmony 890 remote relays the signals to the gear. All speaker, AV cords and power cables are run though the walls & floor to the crawl space below so there's no cable clutter anywhere in sight.

Comments: I've lusted after Logan's since hearing them about 15 years ago when I was just getting into Home Theater. Ever since I've been chasing 'that sound' but while I sometimes got close I never got it right till now.

Photo's
FrontView.jpg

FrontView2.jpg

RearView.jpg

Subwoofer.jpg

Last edited:
New house Jerry. We moved in here last july and its been a welcome upgrade in living space and neighbourhood. Its an interesting house as its a good sized 4 level split with this level being level 3 (half height basement) so we've got much larger windows here which makes things much more open and bright. There's a true basement down one level which may eventually turn into a dedicated theater but at this time its the kids play room.

Great new digs...and congrats on the ESL's... I know that ML's have been on your wish list. I remember the day over at NL when I got on to proudly announce my ML acquisition and your response was uncharacteristically short..."Oh"

There's still some work to be done...I have a ML center coming any day now so that will sit nicely on the floating shelf and I'm considering adding some acoustic wall treatments behind the ESL's as they are only 24" out from the front wall. I'm also switching out the Harmony 880 and Xantech to the rf based 890 so that the white wall sensor behind the left speaker will disappear and clean up the wall. Still rearranging the plants etc as well to see what impact they have on the sound stage due to dispersion / diffusion. All in all though exciting times.

There is a lot of good information here about speaker placement. The further from the "room boundaries" (front wall, side walls) the better. Changes in tilt will doi a lot for 2 ch soundstage. If you have them in tight to the front wall then think "dispersion" behind them rather than absorbtion. I use a couple of interior trees...lol

Oh...and if you do any significant 2 channel listening take a towel or something more decorative and hang it over than big shiny piece of glass between the speaks.

Last edited:
I have been doing some reading in there...and getting mixed messaging on diffusion vs absorption behind the ESL's. I figure i'll try both and see which if any make a big enough difference to warrant mitigating the WAF factors involved with either option :D

Very nice! Clean looking setup.

I'm sure you are enjoying the heck out of it.

Regards,

Bing:afro:

I have been doing some reading in there...and getting mixed messaging on diffusion vs absorption behind the ESL's. I figure i'll try both and see which if any make a big enough difference to warrant mitigating the WAF factors involved with either option :D

It depends in general on how much damping you have in the room. Heavy rugs and padded furniture absorbs lots of energy.
Based on your pictures, would I go for absorbers.
Rugs/carpets/durtains can do a lot, and can be used as wall decoration (usually good absorbers) as well.
Damping the rear wall is also worth a try.

Back