System #257 (Prodigy, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

Reaction score
Name: Steve Haycock
ML's: Prodigy's and Descents both purchased Feb. 2003
Modifications: none

Speakers and Speaker Cables

MLProdigy's
ML Descent (left & right channel)
Transparent Reference MM speaker cable (Prodigy's)
Transparent Reference single ended (subs)

Electronics

Power amp: Krell 700CX
Pre Amp: Krell Evolution 2
Front end: Krell 505 CD / SACD
Interconnects: CAST

Power Conditioning

Transparent Power Isolator Reference for each channel
Transparent Power Isolator MM for power amp and SACD (1 each)
Power cabling: Transparent reference and reference MM throughout

Tables
Finite Element Master Reference heavy duty plus cerebase feet for each channel
Finite Element HD10 Power Amp platform plus cerebase feet for 700CX

Comments
It's a never ending story....! The ML's have performed faultlessly since installation, and have survived several house / country moves. The longest serving piece of kit is the 700CX power amp which drives the Prodigy's extremely well. A testimony to the ML's is that they have responded to every system upgrade & change, which indicates just how much you can extract from these speakers. However, one thing I have learned above everything is that set up and room acoustics are absolutely paramount. The Prodigy's really thrive on space: in my experience they really come alive on the ‘long’ wall - with side walls as far away as possible. In my current set up the side walls are about 12 feet either side of the Prodigy's. I honestly have not found a speaker to replace these - at any price (not that I'm seriously looking)....
Regarding the Descents (you may ask why have subs in a music only system and with Prodigy’s?): I use the subs selectively, for example on full scale orchestral and electronic music - and they really add that extra helping of weight and power. I also have the Descent's well away from the front wall & side walls – I find that the system needs virtually no boundary reinforcement. The Prodigy's are set 68 inches forward of the front wall and with about an inch or so of toe in. The only issue I have with the Descent’s as partner subs for the Prodigy’s relates to the low pass 40HZ setting – in my view this is too high – but ML seem to have addressed this with the Descent i which has a low pass option of 30HZ…anyone heard these??
I like this set up because it plays at realistically high volumes without strain, compression or bloom and plays equally well at low volume settings. Imaging, depth and sound staging are all excellent and dynamic range is (in my opinion!) amazing. It also works well with virtually any kind of music. So what more could I ask? Well, that's the real question - because in this hobby, whatever you have you (or I) always seem to come back for more....that’s been my story for over 30 years and it’s not over yet (at least I hope not)…

Attachments

• P6060481.JPG
    P6060481.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Front right 2.JPG
    Front right 2.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 1,287
  • P6290923.JPG
    P6290923.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,246
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back, Steve!

Hey Steve,

welcome back to the site.. Been a LONG time since you were active and your system is looking very very nice. Quite a nice room you have there.

Thanks Tom - it has been a long time (too long), but my interest in music and the hobby has thankfully remained as strong as ever (and just about kept me sane)....looking forward to participating in this forum again.....

Nice Setup!

Very clean and beautiful!!! I bet those Prodigy's sound wonderful and clear. If you get the time please post some pics of your listening seat. Great system:bowdown:

Glen

Clean and well thought out. I agree with your use of the subs, to add the extra kick or to fill in the bottom. It makes the music more...present. Both of us are not writing about "Rock-N-Roll" blast, but helping any type of music to come alive. I also ran a pair of subs, though NHT Sub Two's with a pair of Odysseys.

Last edited:
Steve glad to have you back with us.:) That setup is simply amazing!

Definitely drool worthy.:drool: :drool:

Holy-Moly !!! That qualifies as a dream system....

Very nice, my friend...

~VDR

Last edited:
The listening position

Firstly - serious thanks to everyone your the comments on the system....

Attached is an image of the listening seat / position. It also shows the rear wall which is lined with books and cd's (unfortunately the picture is so compressed that the quality isn't great - the cd's occupy the centre of the book shelves - around 1200 plus about 100 SACD's)....the books plus curtains hung on side walls (out of sight) help alot with room damping. The chair and foot rest came from Ikea and have served me well enough - I just wish it had height adjustment since the fixed seat height is actually on the low side!

You can also see my modest record collection to the right hand side of the image. Sadly I haven't added to this for some years - since I regrettably sold my turntable. It's still my intention to put a turntable back into the system someday - but not whilst I'm living in the Middle East - it will have to wait for my return back home where I can do some serious auditioning!

Attachments

• Basement 1.jpg
    Basement 1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,210
:guitarman::guitarman::guitarman::guitarman:

You score 4 guitarmans! Awesome... wish I could here that 700 drive those big Prodys.

Interesting what you say about side space. The Summits I demo'd in a room with lots of it threw a very wide soundstage too.

Enjoy.

Steve, as the others have said.....VERY nice system you've put together !

Welcome back to the fold as well.

Try to place your sub in the middle (in front of the Krell amp). I have a much better bass by putting my Depth in this way. Hopefully it works.

I just saw this system for the first time. Truly impressive. It's been a long time since I listened to the Prodigies. I can't help but wonder about the dimensions of the room; seems immense. BTW what do you have behind the curtains?

Steve, your system is just breath taking! I would love to audition it. :music: Too bad you don’t live closer.

Back