System #238 (Renaissance ESL 15A, Focus ESL C18, Script I, Motion 35XT, Motion 4i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also is there a way to update the title of this thread to reflect the actual equipment that is in it now? I've tried editing it but it won't stick. LOL Thanks in advance!

Also is there a way to update the title of this thread to reflect the actual equipment that is in it now? I've tried editing it but it won't stick. LOL Thanks in advance!

I like the foam inserts you did for the windows, effective and economical!
Only one of the Moderators can update your system title to this thread.
Just email one of them what you want it to read, TomDac, Mitt, and twich54 are the moderators to the site.
Dave, aka twich54 updated mine for me, when I sold my Odysseys and picked up Summits and CLS.

I like the foam inserts you did for the windows, effective and economical!
Only one of the Moderators can update your system title to this thread.
Just email one of them what you want it to read, TomDac, Mitt, and twich54 are the moderators to the site.
Dave, aka twich54 updated mine for me, when I sold my Odysseys and picked up Summits and CLS.

Thanks for the info.

Yah the foam worked out real well and yes very economical. In fact it worked so well that I can't even pull them out barely; I mean it is a struggle. My next plan is to hang movie posters in them. Should turn out ok I think.

Nice system, Jason. What an upgrade! Going from Clarity and a receiver to Montis and separates/McIntosh. Enjoy your system :)

Thanks danvu! It has been a long upgrade and not all were done at once; but the end result is magnificent. Still have work to do on the room and minor adjustments. Worked with another member jmschnur on positioning since he has Montis speakers as well and they sound better with just moving them around a bit.

Can't wait to see what the GIK Acoustic Panels do for the sound.

How do you like your EFX as side and rear surrounds? Do they blend well with the front three speakers? Do they provide an enveloping sound stage? I believe you only have one row seating correct?

Have you considered the EM-FX2 instead of the EFX at all? If yes what where your thoughts on EM-FX2 vs the EFX?

I currently have Theos as my FL and FR with stage X center and was wondering how the FX2 vs EFX would blend with them for side and rear surrounds?

I do have two rows seating (back row is about 6 inches from rear wall on a riser) and my room is a dedicated HT room measuring 17.5 ft long by 11 feet wide so not a large room.

How do you like your EFX as side and rear surrounds? Do they blend well with the front three speakers? Do they provide an enveloping sound stage? I believe you only have one row seating correct?

Have you considered the EM-FX2 instead of the EFX at all? If yes what where your thoughts on EM-FX2 vs the EFX?

I currently have Theos as my FL and FR with stage X center and was wondering how the FX2 vs EFX would blend with them for side and rear surrounds?

I do have two rows seating (back row is about 6 inches from rear wall on a riser) and my room is a dedicated HT room measuring 17.5 ft long by 11 feet wide so not a large room.

Hey Htguy sorry for the delay in response. Been very busy and haven't even checked on this thread. The EFX's were great speakers and I loved them as my left and right Surrounds. They really did mesh perfectly with having the hybrid electrostatic loudspeakers all around you. I've since sold them because I wasn't using the room for a few years. Now I'm back in the room and I'm using my Script i's for side surrounds and Motion 35XT's as surround backs. I'm thinking of getting another set of EFX to replace the Motions just not sure if and when. As for the FX2's I looked at them but everything I read said stick with Stat panels all around. If I had the cash right now I'd swap out all of the Motions with EFX's and 4 Vanquish for Dolby Atmos above the seating. So to answer your question I think I'd go with EFX if the price point is doable but I don't think you will go wrong if you do the FX2's either.

Back in the theater room with a few updates. Added some more equipment so I updated the photos and first post to reflect. Wish I could change the title of my thread tho.

How is the Focus sound with the Montis? Was thinking about upgrading my theos to Montis.

How is the Focus sound with the Montis? Was thinking about upgrading my theos to Montis.

The Focus has really broken in and I'm blown away by its performance. It makes all of my other center channels from the past seem so dull. Sometimes I have to look down during a movie at the McIntosh amps to see which needle is moving so I know which speakers are playing the voices; if that makes any sense. LOL It just blends so well with the front stage I sometimes fear the Montis aren't being used. Before with the Cinema I and the Focal you could tell where the speaker was in the front of the theater with the lights off. Now the room and screen just seem to throw the films audio from everywhere in the front of the room.

As for upgrading to the Montis from the Theos; I'm not sure how they compare because I've never heard the Theos in person. It was a no brainer for me once I heard the Montis for the first time and coming from Clarity's it was a no contest. I came close to upgrading them last year when I heard the Expression's. But without a side by side comparison I couldn't pull the trigger. They sounded amazing don't get me wrong but I may had also been suffering from that "Wanting a New Toy" problem I have. LOL Now if my wife would let me I'd upgrade tomorrow from the Montis to the Renaissance without a doubt. And no need for a comparison because of the size difference in panels and subs. Hope this helps and sorry for the delay in my response.

Hi Jason

How does the 35XT blend with the summit? I am thinking to get 4 for side and rear. EFX is not an option for me as I don’t have power in that area

Hi Jason

How does the 35XT blend with the summit? I am thinking to get 4 for side and rear. EFX is not an option for me as I don’t have power in that area

They do well with the Montis but not as great sounding as when I had the EFX’s as sides and Script i’s in rear. Regret selling the EFX’s to be honest. I’ll most likely pick up another pair used sooner or later to replace the 35XT’s. But for know it sounds really good. All in all they are just surrounds so yah go for it; you won’t be disappointed.

If I had my way and the money I’d replace them and the Script’s with EFX, add the MX123 and 2 - MI254’s to push them all. Headed out to buy lotto ticket now.

The Focus has really broken in and I'm blown away by its performance. It makes all of my other center channels from the past seem so dull. Sometimes I have to look down during a movie at the McIntosh amps to see which needle is moving so I know which speakers are playing the voices; if that makes any sense. LOL It just blends so well with the front stage I sometimes fear the Montis aren't being used. Before with the Cinema I and the Focal you could tell where the speaker was in the front of the theater with the lights off. Now the room and screen just seem to throw the films audio from everywhere in the front of the room.

As for upgrading to the Montis from the Theos; I'm not sure how they compare because I've never heard the Theos in person. It was a no brainer for me once I heard the Montis for the first time and coming from Clarity's it was a no contest. I came close to upgrading them last year when I heard the Expression's. But without a side by side comparison I couldn't pull the trigger. They sounded amazing don't get me wrong but I may had also been suffering from that "Wanting a New Toy" problem I have. LOL Now if my wife would let me I'd upgrade tomorrow from the Montis to the Renaissance without a doubt. And no need for a comparison because of the size difference in panels and subs. Hope this helps and sorry for the delay in my response.

Thanks for the update! Haha i never got to listen to the Expressions, actually only one i listened to was the Impressions which impressed me (no pun intended lol). Still not on Montis level to me, as the Montis was the first ML speakers I heard so I always wanted to get a pair but never was able to due to the price tag since it was a year or two before ML's renaissance line, but with many popping up on the used market for decent prices I am getting that itch to get a pair. Glad to hear the focus matches well with them, if I do upgrade I know it will be a joy to listen to. Thanks!

Made some changes to the room by adding 20+ acoustic panels. Also added some new equipment. All updates have been made to the first post.

Thanks to Shawn at Davinci Media I'm a proud owner of a brand new pair of 15A's. The service and patience Shawn had with me was anything but Amazing! If anyone is in the market for Gear contact Shawn; you won't be disappointed.

As for the 15A's; I'm blown away with how they dwarf the Montis in every way. They are not even broken in yet nor have they had the ARC Setup Completed and still sound amazing! The PBK Kit from Crutchfield came in today. So If anyone has advice on the setup let me know.

Another change I made was tear down all of the gear and rerouted power and interconnects. Moved the Network cabling away from sensitive equipment and to the other side of the room. Also added a dedicated 20amp circuit just for the Speakers and Mac Amps.

I'm blown away with how they dwarf the Montis in every way.
Dwarfing the Montis is an under-statement!!!
In my previous post, when I say "slow down and enjoy your system", I meant for you to enjoy your whole system! I did not mean to slow down on the analogue (pre-amp) front, only to have you go full-steam with upgrading your speakers! Anyways, congrats on your new speakers.

Holy Moly Jason, Santa came early this year ! Congrats, look forward to your listening impression once you have them completely dialed in with your updated room acoustics.

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to sell the Montis and Clarity's I still have lying around to get some other odds and ends. Wife says I have to sell a bunch of old gear now and get it out of the house before anything else new comes in. LOL

Latest posts

Back