System #236 (Vista, Motif, Dynamo, Vignette)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe 50 hrs on the 11a, it has been fun breaking them in. Re ARCed the basement after install. Opening of Baby Driver - whole new experience. The downshifting shift shock makes you feel like you are in the passenger seat taking a ride, never even felt or heard it before, changes whole experience. Quick, realistic. Ready Player One - opening race, OMG, reminds me of the first day working for Shawn at DaVinci Media 15+ years ago and he showed me The Matrix Reloaded with Prodigies, dual Descents, etc. SACD, DSOTM, WOW, So cool. It’s like being a kid again.

Attachments

• 829F2C62-35C3-4005-AC17-6E389E7A4A6A.jpeg
    829F2C62-35C3-4005-AC17-6E389E7A4A6A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
Took some pictures for the full set up. We wanted to design a shared space where music and movies could be enjoyed by our kids and friends. View from the bar:

1602344948391.jpeg

View from the theater:

1602344998700.jpeg

It has really been a journey getting to this point, from a receiver, a pair of sources, and an extra bedroom apartment to this. I am grateful for all the information gained through the years being a part of this site.

Where did you place rear speakers? Is that them on the side, or did you put some in the ceiling behind the seating?

When you use a projector like that, could you have used a bigger screen if you wanted? I'm wondering how that works. Is there a mathematical formula for max screen size and distance of the projector from the wall?

That room is awesome. I really like your bar. I want to build a new house in the next few years and have been thinking of how to do a media room. Having the wet bar in there is great, but wondering if I could still put rear speakers back there somewhere. The rear wall would probably be too far from the seats to put speakers?

When you use a projector like that, could you have used a bigger screen if you wanted? I'm wondering how that works. Is there a mathematical formula for max screen size and distance of the projector from the wall?

That room is awesome. I really like your bar. I want to build a new house in the next few years and have been thinking of how to do a media room. Having the wet bar in there is great, but wondering if I could still put rear speakers back there somewhere. The rear wall would probably be too far from the seats to put speakers?

We went with an 120 inch screen so I would have wiggle room down the road for sub and front speaker upgrades and placement adjustment. The bar has its own zone, and it’s nice to watch a game or stand up when I have to put Frozen II on the screen for the 20th time.

We went with an 120 inch screen so I would have wiggle room down the road for sub and front speaker upgrades and placement adjustment. The bar has its own zone, and it’s nice to watch a game or stand up when I have to put Frozen II on the screen for the 20th time.

The projector was also placed in the middle of its throw distance so it could handle a little light on if needed, be able to focus the image well, and change image size if needed down the road.

Rears are frescos and surround are Helios 100s in the ceiling.
Ok, I see them now in the ceiling in the picture. I was on my phone and the picture was too small. On my desktop now. Do you feel like having the rears in the ceiling is just about as good as in a wall? Ive never done that before.

Looks like you didnt worry about doing Atmos?

I really like the idea of the room being a gathering place too, not just a place to watch movies. That's appealing!

Do you have any problems with things in the room vibrating bad with the bass in movies? Right now I have my theater in the family room and it seems like so many things in the room vibrate. The door to the laundry room vibrates bad when it is closed and then of course wall hangings. Was the room built from scratch or was the dry wall already up? Curious if you did any sound proofing in the wall construction? Congrats on a great setup!

So there is a pair of speakers somewhere by the bar, they look to blend in well because I cant see them. How does the tile floor do in the theater? Wondering about sound reflection. I have hardwood now and can tell a difference from when it was carpet. I think the Audyssey seemed to help some though.

So there is a pair of speakers somewhere by the bar, they look to blend in well because I cant see them. How does the tile floor do in the theater? Wondering about sound reflection. I have hardwood now and can tell a difference from when it was carpet. I think the Audyssey seemed to help some though.

Floor is a polished concrete due to wild livin with 3 kids (Gives it bar feel), our large carpet square has helped that area. Panels and traps to treat the room is next on the list of things to do.

Floor is a polished concrete due to wild livin with 3 kids (Gives it bar feel), our large carpet square has helped that area. Panels and traps to treat the room is next on the list of things to do.
That polished concrete looks really good. I had considered that myself. Makes a lot of sense in the basement. I will have to consider that. From the pictures it looks like nice tile.

tsmooth, VERY nice room! Only problem is I'm not sure where I would spend my time... the theater OR the bar!!! :rolleyes:

Do you have any problems with things in the room vibrating bad with the bass in movies? Right now I have my theater in the family room and it seems like so many things in the room vibrate. The door to the laundry room vibrates bad when it is closed and then of course wall hangings. Was the room built from scratch or was the dry wall already up? Curious if you did any sound proofing in the wall construction? Congrats on a great setup!
Robert, in my room I have a ton of stuff hanging on the walls (mostly signed college football memorabilia) of different sizes and weights. I didn't build our house so we just have normal 2X4 wood studs, and 1/2" drywall. IOW, nothing special.

Whether it is a good 'blow em up' type movie... a great rock concert... or just cranking up my two channel system... it can get crazy loud (and 'bassy') in my room (and likely would be totally out of control with tsmooths bar 🤣), I don't have anything vibrating in my room. Occasionally, my wife will remotely flash the overhead lights which is the 'turn it down' signal, OR... the next day we will notice some wall hangings are no longer level, but we've never had any annoying room vibrations.

I don't know if this will help but everything hanging on our walls just has a couple of the adhesive bumper feet on the bottom two corners. Also, we did have one door that did not close tightly. I took one of the thin adhesive bumpers, and stuck it near the top of the door frame and now the door closes tightly (although, with humidity changing I occasionally have to make some adjustments).

tsmooth, VERY nice room! Only problem is I'm not sure where I would spend my time... the theater OR the bar!!! :rolleyes:

Robert, in my room I have a ton of stuff hanging on the walls (mostly signed college football memorabilia) of different sizes and weights. I didn't build our house so we just have normal 2X4 wood studs, and 1/2" drywall. IOW, nothing special.

Whether it is a good 'blow em up' type movie... a great rock concert... or just cranking up my two channel system... it can get crazy loud (and 'bassy') in my room (and likely would be totally out of control with tsmooths bar 🤣), I don't have anything vibrating in my room. Occasionally, my wife will remotely flash the overhead lights which is the 'turn it down' signal, OR... the next day we will notice some wall hangings are no longer level, but we've never had any annoying room vibrations.

I don't know if this will help but everything hanging on our walls just has a couple of the adhesive bumper feet on the bottom two corners. Also, we did have one door that did not close tightly. I took one of the thin adhesive bumpers, and stuck it near the top of the door frame and now the door closes tightly (although, with humidity changing I occasionally have to make some adjustments).
Yeah, ive gone through and put those padded bumper pads all over. There are still a bunch of places that vibrate. Just too many to hit. Thats just with one depth i sub too, and the prodigies.

Yeah, ive gone through and put those padded bumper pads all over. There are still a bunch of places that vibrate. Just too many to hit. Thats just with one depth i sub too, and the prodigies.
Hmmm... maybe I just crank it up enough so I don't hear the vibrations! :LOL: Good luck on this...

Hmmm... maybe I just crank it up enough so I don't hear the vibrations! :LOL: Good luck on this...
Its not terrible now, but during some scenes it bothers me. Some scenes and the walls rattle. Need to gave a dedicated theater room with nothing on the walls and a bit of special construction.

I am really surprised by the lack of vibrations in this space, the living room setup has more of a problem with that. Especially with the wine room glass doors, I thought it would drive me crazy, but I haven’t noticed.

I bet the concrete floor helps a lot. I can really see that helping more than most things. I would also not hang anything on the walls. There are some construction methods for building walls that I will use if I ever build again.

Back