System #236 (Vista, Motif, Dynamo, Vignette)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas to me...

I am now Blu Ray capable with the Samsung BD-P2550 thanks to the in-laws (they asked the Best Buy guy for the one to get a audio/video nut). This model comes with netflix and pandora streaming, which is quite cool but needs a little work. The best movies are slightly behind DVD quality, but with development and firmware updates hopefully I will be able to click and have HD quality movies streamed into the theater. Pandora music quality is below CD quality but it is nice to have something going while entertaining.

To comment on the blu ray movie experience. The first movie watched was the "Dark Knight" with the player set to audiophile bitstream and the movie set to the HD 5.1 setting. The video quality was obviously excellent and the audio was much improved over the DVD version. Sound had a location and moved with the screen in a fashion I have not heard before. You became a part of the movie instead of watching something on the screen with sound effects all around you.

First impressions are quite positive, I think they made a great choice.

Last edited:
Your room looks awesome now! you really did a nice job with it! The acoustical panels look very nice - alot better than the foam for sure! I am sure it sounds sooo much better now too. Enjoy!

Your new room looks really great, and although some of us gear-heads would love to see a rack full of your equipment in the theater room, I'm sure hiding it away has a much higher SAF!... ;)

The paint job looks very nice, and I'm sure the darker walls help keep the "theater" ambiance just right when you're watching movies. Those acoustic treatment panels look like they were meant to be on the walls--very slick and professional looking. Great job all around!

I do have one question. Where did you get that cool "Welcome" sign? Did you have it made locally, or did you get it through some on-line source?

Thanks for posting all those cool pics! I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from your new home theater, in your new home, in this new year!

Thanks for all the positive feedback :eek:.

I picked the sign up a few months ago on ebay from a guy that would put whatever stuff you wanted on it. The username and store are "bettersigns" but I do not see him offering anything like what he made. I am sure you could ask and he would be more then happy to put something together.

New Subwoofer

The SVS PB12-NSD replaced the Dynamo for the low frequency duties. I have to say it has made quite a difference in the sub 30hz area. Blue-ray explosions and kick drums sound and feel excellent. Measured tonight and the system is basically flat from 20hz up until over 10khz. The thing is a beast, over 75lbs and 25 x 21 x 18 inches.

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 385
  • sub3.JPG
    sub3.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Nice addition Tim, I bet 'Masters and Commanders' really sounds awesome now !!

The first movie after calibration was the BR copy of “Transformers”. Wow, the artillery from the bots sounded awesome. I have a lot more to explore, but changing the front speakers to small and allowing the sub to take it all on under 80hz seems to work extremely well in my room. This sub handles music and is fast like the dynamo, but can deliver the really low frequencies I was missing before. I originally was looking at a Depth or Depth I, but when I saw the graph for this sub and the B-stock price tag I made the move (who isn't looking to save a little money).

Might be a 'Masters and Commanders' night, we will see how things play out.

Last edited:
Thanks, it took me a while to see someone posted on my system link. The studies have gotten in the way of me being on the site more - and buying more upgrades :(. It will all be worth it in the end...

Your comment made me go back and read through this whole progression. It was amazing how much I have learned from this site and the great people that are a part of it. It really turned a little hobby into something that is a big part of my life.

Tim,

Wow! After checking out your system thread, what an amazing evolution of your HT (room and equipment)- very impressive and well executed. I'm sure it's thoroughly enjoyed!

btw - I love that welcome sign! :D

How are the Vignettes as surrounds?

I have been thinking about getting the Vignettes and use them as surrounds. How well do they match with the Vista and Motif? Thanks.

I think they are great. They sound as good as they look. The real test was on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon SACD and I was very happy. Many of the effects travel through all five speakers and I really couldn't tell when the sound transfered from one to another. They also have a height and depth that is really outside the speaker. I am able to hear things from center, behind my head with only having a 5.1 system. They have done everything that has been asked of them. With more room and more money, you could probably get more but I have not felt the need to make any moves.

Last edited:
E4E8137F-6C5C-4048-BDB6-5E57170BC668.jpg

Wow, it’s been a while. House has changed but system has not. Looking to reconnect and building a new theater in the house we are currently building. Hope all has been well.

Replaced the SVS PB NSD12 with dual SVS SB13-Ultras, one in the back corner and right side wall. Fell in love with the minimalist design, piano gloss finish, 13.5 inch woofers without making the box enormous (wife even thinks they look nice). First impressions are it has added the punch you in the chest effects I was missing and without the port noise (movies). Very nimble with my reference music, new dimension to bass. I Can’t wait to move them to the new media room.70A795FD-7AC3-45F4-B9D9-32C012EC4EE4.jpg83D5BE96-32D2-4448-AC7B-B7219AC7CED3.jpg

Last edited:
New living room system. I was hesitant to move from vignettes to the SLM-XL line in the front, but I have been very pleased. I would even say it was an upgrade after listening to some of my reference material. Rear speakers are Helios 100s. Subs are SVS 13 Ultras.

A760FBBC-DD0C-453C-A6AE-7EA3339A0B11.jpg

Last edited:
Exchanging the vistas for the 11a. Good seeing Shawn at DaVinci Media again, excited to put some miles on.

Attachments

• D304B4CF-6936-42ED-9338-534777C26EE3.jpeg
    D304B4CF-6936-42ED-9338-534777C26EE3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 3E1D7C15-9EDA-4551-ADC5-B8D8D7140B8D.jpeg
    3E1D7C15-9EDA-4551-ADC5-B8D8D7140B8D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
You'll love 'em! The active woofers are great!

I also had Vistas, enjoyed them for a long time. Your new speakers are in a different league.

(I thought I would update all this information)

Member Name: Tim

ML Model: Source -> Vistas -> 11a, Motif -> Focus, Vignette -> Fresco + Helos 100, and Dynamo -> SVS NSD 12 -> Dual SVS SB3000 -> Dual Descent I

Year Purchased: 2005-current

Mods/Changes - None

Associated Electronics:

Power Conditioning: Monster Home Theatre Reference HTS 2600 MKII PowerCenter

Receiver: Denon AVR-2807 -> Denon AVR-3808 -> Anthem MRX 720

Amplifier: Rotel RB-1080 -> Sunfire Cinema Grand 200w x 5 channels

CD/SACS/DVD player: Denon 1910 -> Denon 2930 -> Oppo 103

Cabling: Nordost Blue Heaven (speakers), Monster 1000 THX (component and optical) -> Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Blue Jeans HDMI and 12 gage for the rear speakers).

Projector: Benq PB6100 / screen: Da-Lite 72" fixed frame -> Sharp XVZ-3000 720p / Sharp 92" fixed frame -> Optima UHD65 / Da-Lite 120” fixed frame

Gaming: Regular Xbox loaded with ATARI, MASTER SYSTEM, NES, SNES, GENESIS, N64 / Wii / Xbox 360

Rear Surround: Monitor Audio B2 -> Vignettes -> Fresco + Helios 100

Room Size 11' x 14' with a 7.5' ceiling -> House in 14' x 18' with 8' ceiling in basement -> New House with 14’ x 21’ x 9’ ceiling

2007: Comments or Stories - I was able to turn an extra bedroom into my listing/home theater room. This all started when I was able to land a part time job with a licensed dealer, and a few upgrades later I believe I have a pretty solid system. The first day I came in for work, my boss put up the second Matrix movie connected to ML, lexicon, and mark levinson audio gear (WOW, I was blown away).

2010: Update - Since joining this site I have been on an all out upgrade spree (See bold). Source, Receiver, Amp, Mains, Rears, etc. It has been great and I believe every change has left a sonic signature for the better. The next step will be moving into a new house and giving all this equipment room to breath. There will be plenty more pictures from the new room.

2011: Update - Moved into the new house and have started the rough setup. The acoustic panel project was excellent and has really helped to tame my basement theater. Other then that, only small placement changed as I feel pretty content with the setup.

2018: Update - Wow, real life and three kids will change a man. That dedicated system quickly became a family theater. Building a new house and hoping to do things right from the ground up, still all ML.

Update 2020 - Theater is settled in, and when the dust settled the Vistas turned into the 11a. Love the current set up but still have to work on treating the room, as soon as my wife and I can agree on panel appearance/size/location. She does like the new sound with the addition of the 11a, so I guess that's a plus.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back