System #23 (Aerius i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Steve Daigneault

System #23 (Vantage)

1. Member Name: Steve Daigneault

2. Location: Washington, DC USA

3. ML Model(s): Vantage (previously Aerius i)

4. Year Purchased: 2005

5. Mods/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics:
> Cary 805c modified by Cary to accept 211 and upgraded Jensen oil caps; tubes are SuperTNT 845M, KR balloon 300b, and Sylvania 6SL7 WGT (soon to be Mullard ECC35)
> ModWright SWL 9.0 SE w/ black gate cap and Bybee upgrades
> Sony DVP 9000 w/ VSE Level 5+ mod
> Cabling Purist Audio Venustas (speaker, and IC from amp to pre) and VH Audio Spectrum from Sony to pre

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

I first heard logans with a friend back when I was 23, and ever since then, I've loved their sound.

Little did I know what a huge difference tubes would make. I decided to upgrade my NAD integrated amp (a crime to power my ML with this) with a VTL, and I was in awe of how much better everything sounded. I've since upgraded my electronics to what you see posted here, and I have yet to hear anything I like better.

Other systems I've heard that I thought would be at least as good, but weren't: Cain Cain Abby's w/ Korneff 45 amp and top of the line SOTA turntable; Merlin VSM-M w/ all Joule electronics (HUGE amps!) and an Ayre CD player. I'd like to hear some ATC monitors next, to see if they stack up. So far, nothing has sounded so good as what I have now.

Very happy with the Vantages. The panel/woofer integration has taken a huge leap forward. That same magic logan house sound only with improved dynamics, integration and dispersion. Truly magical.

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 970
  • cary.jpg
    cary.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 861
  • carylogan.jpg
    carylogan.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 866
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 833
  • sweet.jpg
    sweet.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
Very, very nice! You have one of the best system's posted! Front-end first! You would need to replace the cabinet if you went with CLS's. SL3's or Ascent's would be another upgrade option.

If you don't have cement floors, you should put the T.T. on a wall rack.

thanks

every upgrade i ever made was immediately noticeable with the aerius. the speakers i fell in love with when i first heard them just got better and better, as i upgraded my front end. so i kept upgrading the front end; when i first had them, i was using an NAD C340 integrated amp, and a sherwood newcastle cd changer w/ MIT terminator4 cables. talk about a change...

you're right about teh cls. it just wouldn't work. since i live in an apartment in downtown dc (5 minutes to the white house), this is it until i buy my next place. the more i listen to other speakers, the more i realize i'm sticking with the aerius.

re: my turntable.. these are cement floors, and the cabinet is solid cherry. i can jump up and down next to the turntable, and it has no effect.

I've not see many non-H.T. systems with the speakers so near the corners like that.

Anything strange happening with the acoustics?

That is one sweet set-up.............beautiful.

Steve Daigneault said:
i live in an apartment in downtown dc (5 minutes to the white house), ... the cabinet is solid cherry.

cherry wood.

lives in DC.

anyone else see a pattern ... ?

kach22i said:
I've not see many non-H.T. systems with the speakers so near the corners like that.

Anything strange happening with the acoustics?

That is one sweet set-up.............beautiful.

well, the picture is deceiving. there is actually a hall to the foyer to the left of the left speaker, and the right speaker has nothing obstructing it on the right side.

the main problem really is my tansu in between the two speakers, but i live in a small apartment in washington dc and there really isn't the room to set my speakers up optimally.

the sound pretty awesome like this to be honest. i'm looking forward to the vantage!!

Steve Daigneault said:
the main problem really is my tansu in between the two speakers

I'm a big fan of putting something dead/absorbtive in the middle of the wall between the two speakers. I've just added some acoustic foam on my front wall, and it lessens my need to drape the center TV with a heavy wool blanket.

The acoustic foam is not that thick, perhaps placing a panel of it on top of the
tansu would not hurt. All it would do is absorb a little of the higher frequency energy bouncing off the ceiling/tansu interface. This in turn might allow a more focused center stage to develop.

Now give me the pre-amp and turntable, they were meant to be mine - I'm so jealous.

Well, I've made a switch to a different preamp, a VAC Renaissance mk1 w/ phono, and I can say it was a nice improvement. More neutral, more transparent, more dynamic.

Turntable is here to stay. :)

Steve Daigneault said:
Well, I've made a switch to a different preamp, a VAC Renaissance mk1 w/ phono
Another nice piece (two box?), but not as cool looking - not that it maters much in the dark.

yep, seperate power supply, but not tubed power supply like the supratek. and you're right, i definitely gave up some sweet looks. the VAC is not my style to be honest. i like the new PHI stuff, but it's way too expensive... i'm thinking about some other changes with the new Vantage coming. i think i'd need more than the 65w that i get from the 70/70... tho maybe not.

gotta love those tubes!!!!

Nice set-up ! Do you have to get down on your knees to spin some vinyl though ?? I tried running my new Vantage's with my little Jolida 302-B(modified caps and resistors, rolled pre-amp tubes) but didn't have enough "gas" for Vantage.

Again, good look'in setup !

hey twich, the turntable is gone, but yeh, i had it setup on the bottom of my very heavy cherry cabinet. my floors are parquet covered cement, so it was a very solid foundation. totally quiet, very open sound. sounded excellent! but you know, this new setup is just as good, and so much easier. and because it's easier, i'm listening to music more. which feels good, considering how much i've got invested in my rig. the VSE level 5 mod is really stunning. very natural, open and transparent, totally smooth, no digital glare at all. it's been cloudy, so my pictures are dark, i'll try to update them when i get some more light in my apartment.

Steve, saw your system on the "gon", so is "Dennis the Manace" the new or old moniker ??

the VSE level 5 mod is really stunning. very natural, open and transparent, totally smooth, no digital glare at all.
Allen Wright's (VSE) mods produce tremendous sound reproduction for the players he modifies. On the other end is the Dan Wright (Modwright) systems with the tube output stages, and external tube rectified power supply - another super sounding player. A third company to consider is Alex Peychev (APL-HiFi) and their modifications.

All these companies offer substantial performance over a stock player at equivilant prices. IMO, these two companies are leading the pack for modifications in the Redbook and SACD field. Both Allen and Dan offer brand new players modified for purchase for those not sure about buying a used player and having it modified. Not sure if APL offers new modified players or not.

Steve, how long have you had the player?

Did you get the additional outputs with the mod, or did you have them just use the original outputs?

Did you get your mods done in Springfield?

Dan

Back