System #228 (Odyssey)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK here are the pics... First, the device; then touching the shielded blue Siltech which exhibits now stray electrical field; finally, the device being triggered even held far from the white unshielded Shunyata.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 444
Now that is nifty!!! What is the name of that device? So the object is to get to the place where no matter where you point it the device should not light up? And if it does then this is the area that should be addressed/shielded or seperated from sensitive areas? Great tip!!!!!!!!!

Glen

I have no idea what they call this device exactly, but I got it at Home Depot years ago. You stick it into the wall outlet to see if it's hot. And I can tell you that unless you really stick the prong into it, it doesn't trigger... that should tell you something about the stray electrical field from the unshielded cord :mad:

Just read through this thread.

You've got a gorgeous system Spectral.

I do agree with others that your room is the weak link at the moment.

GG

Last edited:
Thank you Gordon.

Here are some close-up pictures of the amp and preamp. Updated main page write-up as well after the DMA-360 Series II's recent arrival - I've had about a month's worth of auditioning, and so far these are truly phenomenal amplifiers, far surpassing anything I have ever heard before in the last 20 years.

Attachments

• IMG_1545-2.jpg
    IMG_1545-2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,507
  • IMG_1538-2.jpg
    IMG_1538-2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_1917-2.jpg
    IMG_1917-2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_1877-2.jpg
    IMG_1877-2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
It's been 6 months since I acquired the Spectral DMA-360 Series 2's, and anyone interested in more comments can read my mini "review" on this Spectral forum

Last edited:
System edited: I have replaced all my power cords with Shunyata Black Mamba CX/HC (10AWG). I continue to be very skeptical about power cords in general, but these have introduced the last missing vividness in this system, that comes probably as a result of a few things: a) Higher instantaneous current delivery - i.e. lower impedance between the wall and the equipment; b) Noise reduction - although I have not been able to directly perceive this yet, as the system was already extremely quiet. However, I am able to measure the reduction in noise with the phono and the Revox's input turned all the way up - the VU meters just don't move - this is truly exceptional and another first in this system.

I am not sure which part of these cords is responsible for the overall improvement - cryo connectors, their purest copper, the Helix construction, or all of them - but as a combo the result is tangible.

They are an expensive "solution", but the results are self-evident in this particular system, considering the speed of the Spectrals: uncongested choruses (a first in my system), realistic bass drum and timpani, exceptional (even realistic) piano attack and decay, exceptionally silky cymbals with analog... and the list goes on and on. The improvement is *slight* in the grand scheme of things, but very real.

Spectral,

Kudos on your system...a thing of beauty.

I have never been impressed as I was many a years ago when I listened to Spectral amp/preamp with Avalon Radians...have never heard anything quite like it...the emotion it can create is priceless really...although heresy on this MB I dream of swapping my ML's for Avalons one day....:).

Would love to hear your system...:bowdown:

Thanks - when you mate really fast electronics to really fast speakers the result can be stunning. Let me know if I can help in your search for realism...

I have replaced my Dynavector XX-2 with an Ortofon A90. This cartridge is simply truly stunning - extremely realistic, balanced, raw and a major step forward in resonance control in the body; many call it the absolute best, but I'll just say it is a tremendous bargain for analog lovers. At the same time, I am equally amazed at the performance of this Ayre P-5xe phono, which is able to bring all of that to life in equal terms. Interested folks can read the various audiogon threads of A90 owners that have replaced their XV-1s's, XV-1t's, Urushi's, Colibri's and all the rest top performers. What a triumph of a cartridge, and how lucky to be able to find one of those 400 ever made.

If you decide to get one, I suggest you read my thread on WBF on how to set it up - requires extremely accurate SRA because of the extreme stylus profile.

Last edited:
New preamp and crossover

Updates... The extraordinary Spectral 30SS S2 preamp arrived early September 2011, and I spent a couple of months overhauling the crossover with Mundorf Supreme caps and CFC-14 coils - see this thread for details. For years I have been complaining that the overall treble balance in my system was dark; although the earlier Spectral electronics were partly to blame, the biggest improvement has come as a result of the crossover improvements; here are before and after graphs, and notice how the overall trend is now flat with the upgraded crossover and how improved the bass response is - measurements were made with the subwoofer on:

Old crossover (Sep 28, 2011):
Old-Crossover.jpg

New crossover (Jan 2, 2012):
New-Crossover.jpg

These were obtained with the Stereophile warble tones using the RadioShack SPL meter and were corrected per Rives' curve of said meter, using a 62dB 1kHz tone as reference. A couple of things not so obvious in the graph: a) The overall response with the new crossover is 63.5dB on average, i.e. +1.5dB above reference; and b) Clearly, there are still anomalies in the panel which indicates to me that it's really difficult to get linearity with ML's construction of the electrostat - its Achilles's heel

Last edited:
Peter, for a system sans EQ, that's pretty damned linear! The slope's really flat - are you measuring nearfield, like ~1m?

Hi Ken, no I am measuring at the listening position, about 3m away

Clearly, there are still anomalies in the panel which indicates to me that it's really difficult to get linearity with ML's construction of the electrostat - its Achilles's heel

Hm... what are you expecting? If the panel was 100% linear, in-room it won't measure that way.

That's an extremely good in-room FR there. I'd spend a bit more on the measuring equipment if you are truly interested. I guarantee you you will get different results if you do so.

Mind you, I also guarantee you you will get different result by moving the mic around, as I expect you know:)

I bet Ken can recommend you something...:)

Resonance management

I have spent the last year studying resonance solutions for my VPI and speakers. After the crossover upgrade, I think I have taken the Odysseys as far as they'll go, primarily by managing resonances in the panel support pillars and using this Isodamp C-1002 to isolate them from the floor - see this thread. The woofer cabinet has always been very inert by design.

The results are what I would expect - the lack of smearing results in improved timbres, tonality and imaging. Imaging improvement was particularly interesting... I have a solo timpani CD track that was always rendered center stage, though the Revox VU meters would have it quite a bit to the left - it is now to the left, and of course much clearer.

For the VPI, granite, Stillpoints, Sorbothane hemispheres and EAR Isodamp C-1002 for the feet; Sorbothane sheet, C-1002 and cork plates for the motor. C-1002 is apparently used in aircraft to tame vibrations.

stillpoints-2.JPG

aries-3-motor-2.jpg

aries-3-feet-3.jpg

Back