System #212 (SL3, Theater)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orjanb

Reaction score
System #212 (Prodigy, 2xSL3 , 2xTheater)

Name: Örjan Bjursell

New setup: 2014-10-26
ML Model(s): Prodigy, 2xSL3, 2xTheater

Associated Equipment:
Source: Dune HD Max
Projector: Sony Vpl-VW95es
Preamps: Marantz AV-8801
Amps:
1x Rotel RB-1090 Front
2x Rotel RMB-1095 center and surround

Subs:
2x Velodyne DD-15
1x Velodyne DD-10

...........................................................................................................................
OLD setup:
Mods/Changes: New panels in the front SL3

Associated Equipment:
Source: HTPC
Projector: Epson EMP-TW2000
Amps: 2x Rotel RMB-1095 center and surround
Preamps: Rotel RSP-1068
Subs: 2x Velodyne DD-15

Bought my first pair of SL3 -98 (I think) Then a Cinema center channel a couple of years ago and upgraded this summer to a Theater. I had a pair of Script as surround speakers but sold them and upgraded to SL3 instead. I bought my third pair of SL3 this summer. I also had an Descent subwoofer a short while but sold it and bought a pair of DD-15 instead. My plan is to go 7.1 or should I say 7.2 :music: when everything is done in the theatre.
The plan is to strip 2 pairs of the sl3:s and hang them on the walls, one pair in the back where they stand in picture 2. The woofer going to be built in the back wall. So then I can put the dd-15 in the back corners and have the panels hanging over them. The other pair will be stripped and should hang just behind the front seats with the woofer build in wall or in the riser, have not decided yet witch way to go. Would probably be the best to go inwall but not the easiest way. :D

Attachments

• 3U1Q3005_resize.jpg
    3U1Q3005_resize.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 3U1Q3004_resize.jpg
    3U1Q3004_resize.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,050
  • bio_fram.jpg
    bio_fram.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 453
  • bio_bak.jpg
    bio_bak.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Welcome ! Tell us more about your theatre......projector, source, etc.

I like the stage you got going there. Your speakers are ready to perform!

Nice choice on subs too.... dual DD15, can't get much better than that.

:welcome:

Joey

OMG--I have a pair of these babies in my HT set up but all I can say is WOW. Awsome system! :bowdown:

I posted my earlier comment when you had not yet posted that third picture...

Now that you have, I must say I have not seen that many panels in forever. Superb! :bowdown:

Soundlab demo at RMAF with Kimber/Rowland?? Pffft.... we have our own ML multipanel stack right here!

Thanks!
Can anyone see witch one of the 3 sl3 to the left that got a new panel? :D

Simple: Middle one.

You think we're a bunch of noobs? :p :p

:D :D No, but I did't know that you could see any diffrense on the panels apart from the holes in the stator. I noticed it myself when I took this picture.

And I must say thank you to everyone on here for an exellent forum! :bowdown:

:D :D No, but I did't know that you could see any diffrense on the panels apart from the holes in the stator. I noticed it myself when I took this picture.

And I must say thank you to everyone on here for an exellent forum! :bowdown:

Also, you can look at the clearspar spacing. The new one has different spacing than the old one. Also, the new one is "somewhat shinier", but this could be angle and lighting.

The Clearspar spacing is what did it for me.

And yes, this is what happens when someone like me spends way too much time with this stuff, instead of studying/doing something productive. :think:

Yes the clearspar spacing was the way I did see it to.
You say that they are shinier and I think that’s because the stator got bigger holes in them so you can se more reflection from the diaphragm.

Yes the clearspar spacing was the way I did see it to.
You say that they are shinier and I think that’s because the stator got bigger holes in them so you can se more reflection from the diaphragm.

You know, I did learn one thing though. I never knew that when they would replace the panel, they would give you the newest version of the panel (Xstat and all). What happens if you only had to change 1 panel... wouldn't this mess with the system's balance?

You know, I did learn one thing though. I never knew that when they would replace the panel, they would give you the newest version of the panel (Xstat and all). What happens if you only had to change 1 panel... wouldn't this mess with the system's balance?

Yes I think so. (This is my own thoughts) :D
The new panel got an overall better soundquality, so if u mix them there will be less detail from that one with the old panel.

Btw.
Is it the same panel in SL3 and Ascent ?
Is it possible to take SL3 panels (new model) and put it on a pair of Ascent?
Looked at the pdf on sl3 and ascent at the ML site to check size and the only difference is how deep they are. :cool:

Got this answer from Jim Power at Martin Logan.
-The color of black is different between the Ascent and the SL3. You wouldn’t want to switch. If you have the Ascent speakers, just order replacement Ascent-I panels.
So I guess that its not a god idea to switch the panels. =(

more pictures! :D

Attachments

• front golv v_resize.jpg
    front golv v_resize.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 217
  • front h_resize.jpg
    front h_resize.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 219
  • front med stolar_resize.jpg
    front med stolar_resize.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 214
  • golv bak v med sl3_resize.jpg
    golv bak v med sl3_resize.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 214
  • golv h bak bion_resize.jpg
    golv h bak bion_resize.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Moooore pictures! :D:D

Attachments

• hela bion h bak_resize.jpg
    hela bion h bak_resize.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 217
  • sl3 kablar_resize.jpg
    sl3 kablar_resize.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 215
  • sl3-v_resize.jpg
    sl3-v_resize.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 216
  • velodyne_resize.jpg
    velodyne_resize.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 218
Wow, nice lookin theater!

Really did a nice job on the decor and lighting. Very cool :cool:

The custom speakers for the sides and rears are also very neat. Props :bowdown:

Well, personally I have never had a relapse - but now 25 years later, I am not so sure I haven't just had one:)

It must have been those Smiley Faces...

I didn't know Swedish interiors looked sooooooooooooo American.

Bet you could really see George Bush dodge a slipper on that.

Full credit to George, though. Great dodge. Or bad throw?:D

Last edited:
Back