System #186 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,

How's the Hydra? Are the improvements really that apparent?

Thanks,
Joey

Your first picture had me worried, what, no vinyl? Then I looked further, 3000 albums, sweet! Great system all around. The Rowland is IMPRESSIVE. It must have the Summits in a death grip of control.

Last edited:
Joey, the differences are clearly audible-the soundstage expanded in all directions and the system seems quieter. In terms of magnitude it is equal to changing a component. Risabet, I bought the Rowland about 7 or 8 years ago when I owned amp killing Apogees. I think it is probably just loafing driving the Summits. My system really sounds good-to the point where auditioning components in a dealers store is typically disappointing-an experience most of us with good systems probably encounter when we visit our local audio emporia!

Last edited:
Tony, what a beautiful system! ...

I must say that since the "meet", I now have a better understanding and new-found respect for the Summits. Being in an audiophile wasteland here in Southeast Florida, I have never heard Summits in any sort of good setting and only heard anecdotally about the "brightness" of the XStat panel. Now that I have heard everyone comment and talk about them and saw what they were really about, I wonder if they may not be an even better deal than the CLS/Depth combo!

I hope that one day I can hear an XStat in a good system somewhere. It would be nice to have an electrostatic that doesn't have the high frequency dip above 17khz.

The Rowland is a great choice of amp. if the designer has the balls to give specs at a 2 ohm (or even 1 ohm) load, then the amp must be super stable. I once heard a Rowland/Sequel 2 system at a home here in Florida and it was a real sweet sound. I can just imagine how nice yours must be!!

Also, it's cool to see that you are a lover of music. What a collection!
I suppose there was nothing on the CD I made for the swap that was new to you!!!

Cheers,
Ray

Thanks Huey and Ray. Should any of you have occasion to visit the Dallas area, holler and you can come listen. Just beware, I am a rock and roll kind o' guy!

Thanks Huey and Ray. Should any of you have occasion to visit the Dallas area, holler and you can come listen. Just beware, I am a rock and roll kind o' guy!

I'm in the Netherlands...but you never know buddy...you never know :D

Same here. Buddy!

Tony if you ever find yourself slumming it in the West Palm Beach area, you had better let me know!

We can have a couple of drinks, some steaks on the grill, and groove on some classic rock :rocker:

Cheers,
Ray

It is probably time I update my system since I have moved since my last posting. So here goes:

Name: Anthony Claxton
Martin Logan Model: Summits
BF 212
Year purchased: 2006 Summits
2021 BF 212
Mods: Isoacoustics Gaia II feet (summits), Shunyata alpha powercords (summits)
Shunyata viper powercord (BF 212)
Associated equipment: VPI Prime, Koetsu Rosewood Sig, SDS
PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player
PS Audio Direct Stream DAC
Aurender NH 100
Magnum Dynalab FT 101
Roon core: Mojo Audio modded mac mini
arc ph-7 phono stage
arc ref 3 preamp
arc ref 110 amp
Off Ramp Ether regen switch
Shunyata Hydra 8 and Hydra 2
Shunyata alpha powercords
Purist Audio Dominus balanced interconnect between ref 3 and ref 110
Purist Audio Dominus speaker cable
Purist audio colossus balanced interconnect between ref 3 and BF 212
TEO Audio liquid balanced interconnect between DSD and ref 3
Audioquest Leopard phono cable
Revolution Audio I2S over HDMI cable between PS Audio transport and dac
Purist Audio cat 7 ether net cables

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 48
hey Tony, good to see you posting again, seems like yesterday we were all together in Lawrence !

Back