System #175 (Aeon i, Theater, Aerius i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops- me bad, Ben. I forget this is an International forum.....I'm sounding like a concentric focused American again. Sorry about that!

BTW, Jesse James was a famous outlaw in the 1800's here in America that robbed banks and trains on horseback in the old Wild West days. He used a gun to rob people, and kcl used a checkbook to buy/rob that guy of his G90- ;)

LOL. Mark, no apologies required. Yea, JJ is also well known even in this part of the jungle. Have more than a couple of movie titles about his exploits in my cowboy collection.

LOL. Mark, no apologies required. Yea, JJ is also well known even in this part of the jungle. Have more than a couple of movie titles about his exploits in my cowboy collection.
Cool--it IS a small world these days, isn't it! ;)

By the way, Ben, you have an awesome set-up. Your G50 ceiling mount is VERY clean with the white case, etc. And those Summits are over the top! And you definitely have some serious gear behind them, and I bet they sound incredible!

Mark S.

Last edited:
More Answers on CRT Projectors

So what is the current state of affairs w/ the CRT projectors? I am going to build a dedicated HT room eventually but that is probably a few years off and I still think the CRT's are better than ANY of the other things I have seen on the market so far! As good as the current tech is I still think the CRT's have better PQ...

What are the good ones to look at and what should they cost? Also I would like to do about 130" screen size (maybe even 140") would these projectors handle that and how far away from the screen would they have to be?
James-- Here's probably the best site that will give you the full run down on all the various levels of CRTs, from the more basic 7" machines to the true 1080p 9" machines. Check it out here: Curt Palme CRT. This page will give you a best/worst ranking of almost every CRT made. This ranking is actually somewhat of a consensus from the AVS CRT Forum community.

Especially read Curt's "CRT Primer" pages-- they will give you a lot of basic information. If you notice on the left hand side of Curt's site, you can also click on each and every CRT to find out more information about each one.

The AVS Forum is perhaps the next best site to gather more information, and you can find that here: Click Here.

CRT's do have their limitations as far as width of projection. For the distance to set the projector back from the screen, here is what Curt and most others recommends: "Most projectors use a throw distance of approximately 1.4 to 1.5 X the width of the screen as measured to the lenses. So for an 8’ wide screen, the lenses need to be 11 to 12’ back from the screen surface."

Finally, most CRT folks believe that 120" screens are perhaps the biggest screen one should use with a single CRT, and that should be for a 9" machine. Mine is 106" for an 8" CRT, and I think that is definitely the maximum width I would use for the 8" G70. Again, you may want to research and get opinions on screen width on both AVS Forum and Curt Palme's site.

Good luck on the research. Mark S.

James-- Here's probably the best site that will give you the full run down on all the various levels of CRTs, from the more basic 7" machines to the true 1080p 9" machines. Check it out here: Curt Palme CRT. This page will give you a best/worst ranking of almost every CRT made. This ranking is actually somewhat of a consensus from the AVS CRT Forum community.

Mark,

Thanks, that is great info! Been on the AVS forum site for researching the RPTV I just bought and was supposed to be delivered tomorrow but is DELAYED in Dallas for almost a week as it did not make it out of the warehouse up there in time! DANG IT!

Getting a 70" Sony XBR2! YEA BABY! Will have pics soon I hope! The bad part of this...in anticipation of the great arrival a friend came over and we took the old system apart and put it in the Salamander stand I bought for all that and the TV to sit on not knowing (since sales guy had not sent me an email yet) that the TV would be delayed...so here I am tons of GREAT GEAR and can't use ANY OF IT!

Cool--it IS a small world these days, isn't it! ;)

By the way, Ben, you have an awesome set-up. Your G50 ceiling mount is VERY clean with the white case, etc. And those Summits are over the top! And you definitely have some serious gear behind them, and I bet they sound incredible!

Mark S.

Mark, since I joined this forum, have been infected with a rather bad case of Joeyitis as well. :( Been spending like there's no tomorrow the last couple of months. The Descent i just arrived, but suffers from humming, so working with the dealer to resolve it. Am also trying out the Karan amp with a view to replace the old Classe DR25. Looking for a good preamp next to replace the Classe DR6, I supposed. Maybe I should just go for the Anthem D2 and return the new Rotel 1068 processor .... and be damned. :D

Last edited:
Mark, since I joined this forum, have been infected with a rather bad case of Joeyitis as well. :( Been spending like there's no tomorrow the last couple of months. The Descent i just arrived, but suffers from humming, so working with the dealer to resolve it. Am also trying out the Karan amp with a view to replace the old Classe DR25. Looking for a good preamp next to replace the Classe DR6, I supposed. Maybe I should just go for the Anthem D2 and return the new Rotel 1068 processor .... and be damned. :D

Ben,

So sorry you found us! :( :p

Excellent Aeon i HT system...

Mark,

:D Wow!
Excellent HT really lovely set-up. :D I love your hi-tech photo cube as well. :D I wish I knew enough about software and programing to make a photo cube...:eek: Is their a simple way of explaining just how you make a photo cube? I would be interested in knowing how, that is if it is simple enough to understand, given my very limited computer skills.

Mark,

:D Wow!
Excellent HT really lovely set-up. :D I love your hi-tech photo cube as well. :D I wish I knew enough about software and programing to make a photo cube...:eek: Is their a simple way of explaining just how you make a photo cube? I would be interested in knowing how, that is if it is simple enough to understand, given my very limited computer skills.
Thanks for the kind words, Robin....

I am anxious to get my equipment all moved into the adjacent room and begin construction. I found a great rack cabinet to use, and here is a picture of it in place next to the HT room Here. It has front and rear doors and is deep enough for equipment to sit back-to-back, so I should never run out of room to rack and/or shelve the components and equipment.

As for the magic cube, sure enough--it's quite simple. There are all kinds of cool ones out there now, including a 3D Hexagon, Floating Spirals, Carousel, etc. You can PM me and I will forward the instructions to you if that works.

Mark S.

Last edited:
Back