System #174 (CLSIIz, SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Construction of foot stool.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 178
After years of trying to decide on a listening chair my search is over.

I found a chair with a full width head rest that was very comfortable and could be altered. I bought the chair from the manufacture along with a extra hide of leather that matched the chair.

After disassembling the chair I took the leather off the back and rebuilt the interior framing to form a narrow headrest at the horizontal welt in the leather.
Once that was finished I took it to an upholster to restore the back to its new altered look.

Though the chair is a recliner with a foot rest that folds out from below the chair it would need to be reclined and that would not make for a listening position.

I built a foot stool frame and stained it to match the wood on the chair and sent that to the upholster at the same time.

I'm very happy with the results and it is very comfortable and no sound reflection possibility from the head rest.

I will post more pictures shortly as I am having problems uploading them.

Brad that is an awesome mod, and the results look good and I'm sure perform great.

The reflections from the headrest are my biggest peeve with the Ekorness Stressless Royal I have, as it forces me to lean forward and sit on the edge to avoid them for critical listening.

Glad your MLP is all set for seating.

I love reading these kind of posts. First of all because I love to see dedicated DIY-projects. It amazes me how good some of you are at DIY; high craftsmanship is regularly on display. This being another fine example. Just look at the smooth lines and curves on those feet of the stool frame! Excellent work! Just curious, how did you bend that thick piece of wood on the top of the stool?

Secondly, it makes me feel relatively normal. I've tried seat after seat myself and feel comforted that I'm not the only one out there. It's already damn hard to find a comfortable seat, let alone one that suits our personal listening needs. I personally own an "I see it in every HiFi add, so it must be good" Eames lounge chair and Ottoman. But it really isn't that comfortable at all. And it's very low. I think too low for our panel-pitch. It looks absolutely stunning though!

I currently use a cheap recliner chair and foot rest that is at least comfortable enough for a couple of hours. And one that's at the same time not humongous enough to block all of the (reflecting) soundwaves.

But glad to see that you've got a good solution (at least for now ;)). I'm still looking...

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

Jon I have always liked the feel of the Ekornes Stressless chair. The head rest construction stopped me from using that as a candidate.

RDC, I look regularly for an original/older Eames chair but decided I do not have the heart to cut it up to fit my needs.

As for the foot stool construction. It is laminated with 3 pieces of 3/8" bending plywood glued together and placed in a vacuum press.

Last edited:
I had to come back and look at your system again - wow, it's gorgeous. I suspect it sounds even better than it looks. OMG, I will take an exact copy of the whole room and all electronics. Nicely done.

Shawn,
If you go to the links at the first page here there is one for Wife suggests the Big D. That show building my listening room.

To answer your question the walls were framed with 2"x 6"s and insulated with fiberglass. I covered that with a fine open fabric. There is a Painted frame that left most of the fiberglass open. I then made floor to ceiling panels with Owens Corning 704 and hung them all the way around the room so they had 1 1/2" space to the fiberglass. I found there was sound reflection across the ceiling from the front to directly over my listening chair. I made the same panels to go on the ceiling.

The angled corners are bass traps with Bass Buster Cotton in them. The entire perimeter of the wall to ceiling is a bass trap into the ceiling.

My approach was to eliminate reverberation and echo in the room then add back diffusion to create the sound I wanted.
My diffusion panels are less than ordinary. They are made from foam core panels with plastic martini glasses glued to them and painted.

xuY4qhMFQIOconAm3ZEuSQ.jpg

Last edited:
Made a change in equipment location to eliminate 8m interconnects between my pre and amps. The new configuration has a 10m fiber optic replacing the copper in the conduit under the floor.
The most of the front end is still in the the same location just the preamp and CD/DAC moved to the front making for less than 6' DIY interconnects.
The fiber runs from the PlayBack Designs - StreamIF to the PlayBack Designs MPS-5.
Not only did it improve the soundstage and details in the music. A 10m fiber optic cable cost under $10.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c0e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c0e.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Made a change in equipment location to eliminate 8m interconnects between my pre and amps. The new configuration has a 10m fiber optic replacing the copper in the conduit under the floor.
The most of the front end is still in the the same location just the preamp and CD/DAC moved to the front making for less than 6' DIY interconnects.
The fiber runs from the PlayBack Designs - StreamIF to the PlayBack Designs MPS-5.
Not only did it improve the soundstage and details in the music. A 10m fiber optic cable cost under $10.

Your audio room and everything inside looks marvelous.

All audio chain components are outstanding from the point of view of music reproduction.

I do not know but if all audio components match synergistically with each other. Then truly outstanding. I have not heard CLX or high end ARC gear but have heard ARC gear with CLS 1 and the sonics namely audio picture, soundstaging were exceptional.

Enjoy the music.

Back