System #174 (CLSIIz, SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graz guy in Virginia, Bill Thalmann would be doing the complete ribbon install. I decided I would be making a mistake trying it my self and he had to do the bass panel anyway.

Yes, I realize when all is said and done with me rebuilding the new front cover and base/leg structure, electrical work on crossovers, building shipping create and dropping off and picking up 1000 miles away as I won't trust anyone to handle them it will be a $10,000 commitment if everything goes smoothly.

I haven't written the idea off just for now.

Sorry for no detailed description of the 610's but they do sound amazing. Take a listen if you ever have the chance.

I think ARC amps are generally very good on MLs, Brad. I can believe the 610Ts sound fantastic! No lack of power there, LOL.

Built stands for the new equipment. With the addition of the ARC 40th Anniversary Preamp the old stand was starting to lean to one side. They are all on spikes. The wood is Jatoba with isolation rubber then 3cm granite.

Attachments

• DSC_1848 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1848 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC_1888 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1888 (Medium).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC_1866 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1866 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC_1879 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1879 (Medium).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_1883 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1883 (Medium).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 368
I know I'm new here and a little late to the party, but your CLSIIz's interest me. They look great! In fact, the entire system does.

Also, I notice you're in Tampa. I'm next door in Lakeland. Small world! ;)

Last edited:
Brad, thanks for the invite! I just might do that one day. It's been 20 years since I've seen or heard "big" ML's. I only heard two, an original pair of CLS' and a pair of Monolith II's that I helped install when I was working for Audio/Visions South there in Tampa. I also heard of loved a pair of Quad ESL 63's that we had to do some power supply repairs on on site. That's also when and where I purchased my Maggies.

One pic of new CLX's for now.

Everything Roberto told me about them is true. Even with only 6 hours on them they are amazing.

Going to prep dinner for family that is in town. I will elaborate more later.

Attachments

• DSC_1994 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1994 (Medium).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Enjoy them Brad. They do have the same colour of mines too. I am in love with them, and are one of the best speakers available on these days, no matter the brand.

Happy listening!

The CLX look great in your built for music room. I have never heard but I know they sound super, especially with the great mono amps you employ.

Please, my advice, do not make wood frames for them. They look and sound beautiful the way they are.

Have fun listening to music on your spectacular, totally amazing system.

One pic of new CLX's for now.

Everything Roberto told me about them is true. Even with only 6 hours on them they are amazing.

Going to prep dinner for family that is in town. I will elaborate more later.

WOW! Looks great and I just know they sound too...

Btw, which output taps you are using? Can't absolutely decide between 8 and 4 ohms, both are good but in different ways.

WOW! Looks great and I just know they sound too...

Btw, which output taps you are using? Can't absolutely decide between 8 and 4 ohms, both are good but in different ways.

Thanks. Currently on 8 ohms. At 6 hours the only thing that is a slight issue is female harmonies at high registers have a bit of edge to them. My guess is that will work it self out as they break in.

Well, Just got back last night after another 3+ week out of town helping family. No complaints, other than 63 year old aches and pains from framing, drywall and flooring. :-o
I still only have a little over 30 hours on them. Once I catch up at home, i hope to put some hours of them this week.

Awesome system Brad.

From your system description, looks like you're a fan of Shunyata Research as am I.

Just ordered another power cord for my amp.

Only two more power cords and speaker wire and I'm done.

Best,

Gordon

Finally Listening Chair

After years of trying to decide on a listening chair my search is over.

I found a chair with a full width head rest that was very comfortable and could be altered. I bought the chair from the manufacture along with a extra hide of leather that matched the chair.

After disassembling the chair I took the leather off the back and rebuilt the interior framing to form a narrow headrest at the horizontal welt in the leather.
Once that was finished I took it to an upholster to restore the back to its new altered look.

Though the chair is a recliner with a foot rest that folds out from below the chair it would need to be reclined and that would not make for a listening position.

I built a foot stool frame and stained it to match the wood on the chair and sent that to the upholster at the same time.

I'm very happy with the results and it is very comfortable and no sound reflection possibility from the head rest.

I will post more pictures shortly as I am having problems uploading them.

Attachments

• Chr 1.jpg
    Chr 1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Back