System #172 (Ascent i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawdaddy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I thought it was about time for me to post some pics of my beloved Ascent i system. Per the instructions....

1. Member Name: Bob Crawford

2. Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

3. ML Model: Ascent i

4. Year Purchased: 2004

5. Mods: none

6. Associated Electronics:
Main Amps are Odyssey Audio Stratos Extreme Mono SE's​
2 CH Line Stage is my new Odyssey Audio Candela​
Primary Source is an Arcam DV78 DVD / CD Player​
Secondary Source is a Rotel RCC-940AX 5 CD Carousel​
Processor is a Rotel RSP-1066 Pre/Pro​
Center is a B&W CC6S2 and Surrounds are B&W DM 302's.​
Center Amp is B&K ST1400II bi-amped​
Surround Amp is Rotel RB956AX​
Sub is a Velodyne SPL1200​
Front Projector is a Sanyo PLV Z2​
Screen is home made out of drywall and a special paint formula found online​

7. Comments:

I really love the imaging and soundstaging. I was using my Rotel RSP 1066 as a pre for a long time. But couldn't get the imaging or soundstaging I wanted without turning the volume up high. This became an issue when my son was born as I was limited to listening only at night after he'd gone to bed. I bought a dedicated 2CH line stage (Candela) and mission accomplished! Now I get the imaging / soundstage I'm looking for at a lower volume. That and lots more. Really can't say enough about the Odyssey gear! :drool:

Other good news is my Son is now 19 months old and finding an appreciation for music. I'm trying to expose him to some classical and jazz early on. :musicnote: He really likes to look through the panels! :) Just have to keep his curious little fingers off the gear! :eek:

8. Image: Here 'tis!

Attachments

• HT Angle View.JPG
    HT Angle View.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Last edited:
More pics

Thanks guys! Here's the view from my sweet spot!

Attachments

• HT View from Sweet Spot.JPG
    HT View from Sweet Spot.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,179
My 2 CH Rack

Here's a view of my front rack. Shown are 2 Odyssey Audio Extreme Mono SE's and the Odyssey Candela linestage. Also shown is my secondary source the Rotel RCC-940AX 5 CD Carousel Player. LOVE my Odyssey gear!

Attachments

• Odyssey Candela, Extreme Mono SE's and Rotel CD Player.JPG
    Odyssey Candela, Extreme Mono SE's and Rotel CD Player.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,569
Last edited:
My HT Rack

Shown is my Arcam DV 78 DVD / CD player. I use this as my primary CD source out to my Candela. Also shown is my Rotel RSP 1066 processor. Amps are B&K and Rotel for Center / Surround duties.

Attachments

• Arcam DV78 & Rotel RSP 1066.JPG
    Arcam DV78 & Rotel RSP 1066.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,363
Cat protection

If you look closely you'll see that I've built wood "cable chases" running along the walls and behind the racks. This is to protect my cables from our kitty who like to gnaw on them! :eek: :mad:

I've encased my speaker cables and other exposed cables in plastic tubing.

I have a Groneberg TS Premium interconnect on order. It has a metalic sleeve, so we'll see how it does against the cat! If it works I may gradually upgrade my hodge-podge of cables. Currently I have a mix of primarily Straightwire and Audioquest.

Here's a view of my front rack. Shown are 2 Odyssey Audio Extreme Mono SE's and the Odyssey Candela linestage. Also shown is my secondary source the Rotel RCC-940AX 5 CD Carousel Player. LOVE my Odyssey gear!

Why don't you have an ML Cinema or better on the shelf for your center channel? You have a BEAUTIFUL set up that would benefit from an ML center channel, but it does look GREAT what you have there!

Thanks! Few of my real-life friends truely appreciate my system. Most think it's overkill. :duh:

A ML Center is certainly in the long term plans. We plan to move to a new house this year, so I'm waiting to see what my new room looks like. May go for an inwall center if layout dictates. Plus...I can't afford it right now. I've spent my modest budget on 2CH (Candela and Mono upgrades). Next up is probably a good DAC. Then save for a major HT overhaul once Blu-ray / HD DVD war cools, next gen receivers hit the market and 1080p projectors get <$2000. Then of course I'll need to look at better HT speakers. :rolleyes:

Bob, Looks cozy and comfortable ! Glad to hear you're starting the little one off in the right direction !

Last edited:
Plus...I can't afford it right now. I've spent my modest budget on 2CH (Candela and Mono upgrades). Next up is probably a good DAC. Then save for a major HT overhaul once Blu-ray / HD DVD war cools, next gen receivers hit the market and 1080p projectors get <$2000. Then of course I'll need to look at better HT speakers. :rolleyes:

I can relate to spending to much money on this and my other hobbies! No doubt! It really comes down to how much HT vs. 2ch. use you get from your system. If it is mostly HT then a center channel will be a HUGE improvement in the long run and I can't imagine that an inwall will really give you good blending with your Ascent i's, but you never know!

Just reading your HT plans, the 1080p projectors are really getting affordable. By summer I bet you will be able to find them for $3500 or so! BD/HD-DVD for sure needs to get it together and soon! I think we might see players that can handle BOTH formats by year end, though they will be fairly expensive at first. The big issue for receivers will be HDMI 1.3 so you can really take advantage of the 1 wire connections...

Speakers??? I think you are off to a good start! Ascent i for the front l/r, Cinema/Theater/Stage for the center, Script rear surrounds and/or rear l/r.

You will have one AWESOME system at that point!

Bob, Great looking system.
Welcome,I think you'll find this little corner of the web, humble and helpful.

Glad to hear you're starting the little one off in the right direction !

It's always nice to have another family member on your side, he'll be to help in the future when trying to soften up and convince the wife that the family really does need to upgrade the system.:rolleyes:

Alright! Ascent i System...

Bob,

:D Beautiful HT system!:D
I dig your Odyssey Audio Stratos Extreme SE mono-blocks. Cool powerful sonic nirvana... :D

Welcome, Bob!

Nice system! I use Rotel amps in another listening room, too. :)

I'm sure we can enjoy ML speakers forever because they respond to us as much as we pour our affections to them.

Shuji

Bob, I have been out the audio current for awhile, does Odyssey still only sell direct? I never knew they had mono blocks...good choice for front stereo speakers. Have you tried Vertical Passive Bi Amplification per amp by seperating the bass speaker wires from the panel speaker wires? In other words, how many outlet posts are there on each mono block?

Last edited:
philox,

Yes, Odyssey sells direct. All of the contact info is at Odysseyaudio.com and the man to talk to is Klaus Bunge. He's the owner and a heck of a guy. Customer service is top notch and his stuff comes with a 20 year warranty.

His website is a little out of date, but you can get a ton of info over on the Odyssey forum at audiocircle.com. See... http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=10.0

Many many loyal customers.

For perspective, I picked up my amps used for $1800. I spent around $500 upgrading them to "special edition" (better parts) which basically saved only the chassis and the transformer...everything else is new and beefed up! The pre was $1200.

You can order a second set of binding posts as an option. But mine have only one. I've not tried bi-amping them...havent felt a need to. These babies do a fine job as-is IMO. You can also order custom faceplace colors. See this for a pic...

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1476

I'm very happy with this equipement. Very musical. Very powerful. It drives my Ascent i's with ease and doesn't even break a sweat. It does take a while to break in though.

Regards, Bob

Last edited:
Back