System #165 (Summit, Descent, Passage, Stage)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say, I see your own collection is big enough for you to set up a rental shop!

Yeah, I've gone a bit hog wild on DVD's :) I've been collecting them since they first debuted back in '97. Now It's time to start building up my HD DVD collection :D

Seth

Yeah, I've gone a bit hog wild on DVD's :) I've been collecting them since they first debuted back in '97. Now It's time to start building up my HD DVD collection :D

Seth

You forgot to add "and start disposing off the DVDs". :D

Just to upadate my equipment list, I have replaced my Krell DVD Showcase and Pioner DV-S969AVi (aka DV-59AVi) with the Denon-A1XV (aka 5910). Glorious colours on video and much more detail in audio.

I have also decided to replaced the trusty Rotel RAP-985 with the new RSP-1068 processor.

Am trying out the Karan KAS180 power on the Summits at the moment. Compared to my Classe DR25, very fast and much more authoritative at the bottom end while exposing finer details at the extreme high. Very precise soundstage. On this basis, have ordered its bigger (114lb) brother, the KAS270 http://www.avataracoustics.com/karan/s270.php. Will have to patient for it to arrive in a few months time, as understand since the last CEDIA, manufacturer is currently hard put to supply demand.

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 276
  • room3.jpg
    room3.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Dang Ben... that setup is amazing! I bow before your setup.... *bowing* *bowing*...

Joey :)

Dang Ben... that setup is amazing! I bow before your setup.... *bowing* *bowing*...

Joey, I feel very humble yet proud that you should like my setup. But I truely believe that no man should bow to a mere mortal (the setup being my 'wife'). :eek:

That said, I am hoping that one of these days, you will come across a Karan amp and tell us what you think of it. It will be good to have another user's frank opinion on this relatively new brand other than from published reviews, most of which often gloss over the negative aspects.

Last edited:
benleey, I see from viewing the posts, you owned the Sequel IIs then upgraded to the new Summit. I owned the SL3 for 8 years and just upgraded to the Odyssey. Therefore your upgrade was more vast bypassing 2 versions. What can you tell me about the new Summit and how it sounds compared to the Sequel IIs, and did you ever hear the SL3 or Odyssey and compared them? Another question: Living in Asia with a different power supply, does Martin Logan supply a different AC to DC conveter or does the dealer change them? Or maybe a better question: can the dealer change them?

Last edited:
benleey, I see from viewing the posts, you owned the Sequel IIs then upgraded to the new Summit. I owned the SL3 for 8 years and just upgraded to the Odyssey. Therefore your upgrade was more vast bypassing 2 versions. What can you tell me about the new Summit and how it sounds compared to the Sequel IIs, and did you ever hear the SL3 or Odyssey and compared them? Another question: Living in Asia with a different power supply, does Martin Logan supply a different AC to DC conveter or does the dealer change them? Or maybe a better question: can the dealer change them?

Now, where to start? :D

I think it is not fair to compare the Sequel II with the Summit. Firstly, the Sequel II was several rungs down the line, the Summit at the top (bar the Statement), and cost serveral times more. One has a passive woofer, the other a powered one which goes much lower. I am not much good at describing performance, but I can say, in retrospect, the the Sequel II's bass is less defined and not quite integrated with the panels. And bass that is lacking can do strange things further up the frequency range. It's strength is its mid and highs - very sweet and euphoric. A good violin is capable of bringing on the gooseflesh. Nevertheless, after hearing the Summit, I couldn't wait to be rid of my Sequel II. In fact, I finally gave it away!. After 6 months usage, I am still discovering the Summit, especially after upgrading the source and power.

I am not familiar with the SL3 and Odyssey, but I hear they're good.

ML ship Summits to Singapore with 230-240 VAC supply requirement at the power socket, unlike the Stage which comes with an external AC-DC converter which is good for 100-240VAC supply.

Can the dealer here change the power supply requirement? I take it you are refering to the Odyssey. Today being Sunday, I will check with him tomorrow and revert. Sounds like you're planning to have them shipped them here!

Last edited:
benleey, when I retire, I could move to Eastern Europe with my wife who is Russian. Its just an option and one of the main problems is what do I do with all the stereo equipment and CD's :)

Last edited:
That said, I am hoping that one of these days, you will come across a Karan amp and tell us what you think of it. It will be good to have another user's frank opinion on this relatively new brand other than from published reviews, most of which often gloss over the negative aspects.

I'll be on the lookout for Karan amps...

Cheers,

benleey, when I retire, I could move to Eastern Europe with my wife who is Russian. Its just an option and one of the main probelems is what do I do with all the stereo equipment and CD's :)

You know, John, I simply love that 'retire' word. To me it means a successful completion of a lifetime of endeavors towards this goal. I have enjoyed my last 11 years.

Your equipment/CDs - no problemo. Simply stuff them into a 40ft container and supply the carrier with your destination. :D

To your earlier enquiry, yes, the Singapore dealer can adapt your Odyssey for 240 VAC without any problem. It's an inside the box affair.

Last edited:
Descent i has arrived!

The Descent i I ordered descended onto my HT last night. Beautiful piece of work. It even has 3 handles for lifting its 105 lbs around. Excitedly, I stripped off its substantial packing and lugged it into place. Alas, it hummed badly when plugged into the power supply. With its level control way up, I could hear it across my room 20 ft away. And it is not even connected to the preamp. The darn thing must think it's in a karaoke room!

Attachments

• descent_i.jpg
    descent_i.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
The Descent i I ordered descended onto my HT last night. Beautiful piece of work. It even has 3 handles for lifting its 105 lbs around. Excitedly, I stripped off its substantial packing and lugged it into place. Alas, it hummed badly when plugged into the power supply. With its level control way up, I could hear it across my room 20 ft away. And it is not even connected to the preamp. The darn thing must think it's in a karaoke room!

I wonder if you have a ground loop? My Descent hums enough to hear when nothing else in the room is turned on (and the fridge in the kitchen is not running) and in my case it is the signal from the sat box...I will put some inline filters in this week when we take things apart to put them in the new rack and get the new TV in place.

Good luck w/ the hum, sure is a nice looking sub and it goes so well w/ the current crop of ML speakers!

I wonder if you have a ground loop?

Not possible, James, cause it is not plugged into the system yet, only the power supply. Dealer thinks it's a fault somewhere. With all the comments about humming woofers in the Summit and Vantages, maybe there's a design fault in the internal amps.

Not possible, James, cause it is not plugged into the system yet, only the power supply. Dealer thinks it's a fault somewhere. With all the comments about humming woofers in the Summit and Vantages, maybe there's a design fault in the internal amps.

SUCK! What a PITA to take it back and such...lot of trouble that is! Good luck and keep us posted!

benleeys, I see that you have 2 universal players, how does that work, is one a replacement or upgrade?

Hope you get the Descenti fixed up Ben! And make sure to put up new pics!

Joey

benleeys, I see that you have 2 universal players, how does that work, is one a replacement or upgrade?

John,
Three, actually :D , Pioneer DV59AVi, Krell Showcase and Denon 5910. But I have found that the Denon, though rather pricey, is way better than the other 2, both in video and audio. So the Pioneer and the Krell have been retired, together with the MSB dac.

Actually, my system is in the midst of a complete overhaul right now. The Classe DR25 has been retired in favour of the Karan 270 which is now in the break-in process - about 100 hours so far. The Anthem Statement 2 should be here any day now to replace the Classe DR6. As for the 3 Marantz monoblocks, hmmm ......

Hope my attack of joeyitis will subside after this.

Last edited:
Back