System #165 (Summit, Descent, Passage, Stage)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benleeys

Reaction score
Name: Benjamin Lee
ML Models: Summit, Descent, Passage, Stage
Year Purchased: 2006
Modifications: None
Other components:
Krell Showcase DVD - universal player
Pioneer DV-S969Avi (aka DV-59AVi) - universal player
Pioneer CLD99 - LD player
Sony SLV-ED100 - VHS tape
Audiolab 8000T - tuner
Sony VPH-D50HTM - CRT projector
Rotel RSP985 - AV processor
MSB Link DAC III (Upsampled 132kHz)/P1000 Power Base) - D/A converter
Classe Audio DR6 - Preamp
Classe Audio DR25 - Power amp
Marantz MA500 (x3) - Monoblock power amps
Stewart StudioTek 130 - screen
Velodyne SMS-1 - Subwoofer management
Richard Gray RGPC 600S and 400 Pro - power conditioners
NBS interconnects/cables

Started my audio journey in the mid sixties and gone thru countless pieces of equipment since then, including Audio Research SP6 preamp, 75A/76 amps, EC3 electronic crossover, Magneplanar Tympani IIIA speakers, Revox A700 tape, Technics SP10 turntable, Infinity and SME arms, etc, etc... (sorry, memory failure... :eek: ). Suffice to say my early interest was centered on the tape medium as source, hence the Revox.

Fell in love with the early Quad electrostatics but because they were rather problematic in those days (arcing), got facinated with MLogans along the way. Acquired the Sequel IIs in 1993 and kept them till mid 2006 when I became proud owner of the Summits. Together with it came the Stage and Passage (shud have got the Voyage instead). The Descent is presently on loan from the dealer, pending the arrival of the Descent i.

Currently have a modest collection of CDs and DVDs. The vinyl collection has bee in storage for many years as somehow couldn't get round to setting up a new player as yet. My sound room/HT is a regular 21' x 15' x 9' in my 19th floor apartment.

Attachments

• Equip4a.jpg
    Equip4a.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2,820
Last edited:
Ben, Welcome ! nice looking system, so, are you going to get the "black pizza" out of storage and start spinning anytime soon ??

Here's a closeup of the equipment 'tower'. Behind it are the power conditioners. After this pic was taken, the Krell Showcase and Pioneer DV-S969AVi DVD players were replaced with the Denon DVD-A1XV. The MSBs were also consigned to retirement.

Attachments

• Equip1a.jpg
    Equip1a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,964
Last edited:
DVD and CD collection. The records are inside the bottom cabinets together with the leftovers from former LD collection which got donated to a charity bazaar sale.

Attachments

• Equip3a.jpg
    Equip3a.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2,698
Last edited:
Here's one of the Passage in the rear.

Attachments

• Equip2a.jpg
    Equip2a.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,559
Ben, Welcome ! nice looking system, so, are you going to get the "black pizza" out of storage and start spinning anytime soon ??

Now enjoying too much the sound from the Denon player to move from my couch. :D :D Those pizza's have been in storage for some years now, and figure they can remain there for a while more. Problem is they need some cleaning with the VIP first. I hear they have appreciated in value while in hibernation. Wish the same would happen for the hardware. ;)

Benjamin, awesome system, :drool: can you give me a bit of information on your stage stand... I have a similar set up and I'm looking to purchase a stand. thx

Benjamin, awesome system, :drool: can you give me a bit of information on your stage stand... I have a similar set up and I'm looking to purchase a stand. thx

Hi Scott,

The Stage stand is actually a pair of Solid Steel stands meant for bookshelf speakers. I had the height trimmed a bit to avoid blocking the screen.

Ben

Very very nice!! Finally, we get to see your system!

Joey,

Thanks for your patience. Sorry it took so long. Hope you're not too disappointed. The Classe units are a bit dated, but I've heard worse from some current gear. Only problem at the moment is the room - a 10dB peak at around 24Hz and a -10dB at around 32-34 Hz which the Velodyne cannot fully address. Working to find a cure.

Ben

Nice system !

I love your Classé amplification ! :cool: Despite their age, a DR6 and DR25 are very, very good indeed. I now use a Simaudio Moon W-3 to drive my CLS 11a, but a Classé Twenty-five was a better match for them ! I have regrets for selling it, mostly now in winter time. :D

Enjoy !

Hi Scott,

The Stage stand is actually a pair of Solid Steel stands meant for bookshelf speakers. I had the height trimmed a bit to avoid blocking the screen.

Ben

Brilliant... of course I 'lost' my mirage bookshelf speaker stands in the latest move... but you've given me a direction that I like...THX :cheers:

benleeys,

WOW! that is one awesome setup!! I'll bet both movies and music are amazing on your system. Very very nice!!! Welcome to the club!

Seth

Last edited:
Wonderful Summit System...

benleeys,

Your systemis a beauty all right... ;) Lovely decor as well. Your storage shelving is really fine. :) What kinda wood are the cabinets?

Really lovely system... :D

benleeys,

Your systemis a beauty all right... ;) Lovely decor as well. Your storage shelving is really fine. :) What kinda wood are the cabinets?

Really lovely system... :D

Hi Robin,

Thanks. Decor is actually rather spartan, meant more to be practical rather than aesthetic. No WAF to consider. :D That's the advantage of a dedicated room.

Wood used is birch (I think, or ash) veneered ply. Unfortunately pic colors are a bit distorted from over exposure.

Ben

Last edited:
Nice system !

I love your Classé amplification ! :cool: Despite their age, a DR6 and DR25 are very, very good indeed. I now use a Simaudio Moon W-3 to drive my CLS 11a, but a Classé Twenty-five was a better match for them ! I have regrets for selling it, mostly now in winter time. :D

Enjoy !

Thanks, Kaliar. You're right, the DR6/25 combination is great for electrostatics. I like the sound, that's why I am in no hurry to get infected with Joeyities, :D at least for a while yet. They tell me the current crop of models are a different story; besides they cost an arm and a leg.

Ben

benleeys,

WOW! that is one awesome setup!! I'll bet both movies and music are amazing on your system. Very very nice!!! Welcome to the club!

Seth

Thanks, Seth. Truth is I have not gone to the movie theatres for years, ever since I started collecting my own movies. In my own theatre, I can put my legs up in front of me and not get beaten up by the guy in the front seat! :D :D

Say, I see your own collection is big enough for you to set up a rental shop!

Ben

Last edited:
Brilliant... of course I 'lost' my mirage bookshelf speaker stands in the latest move... but you've given me a direction that I like...THX :cheers:

Scott,

It has to happen to your speaker stands of all things, right? :D
You know what they say about necessity being the mother of inventions?

Ben

Back