System #152 (Prodigy, Theater, Ascent, Script, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pcar, as your system has the Prodigys as front mains and the Ascents as rears, what can you tell me about the differences of the sweet spot due to width of the panels? Let me write it this way; I owned the SL3 for 8 years and just upgraded to the Odyssey. The Odysseys are faster and cleaner with more bass foundation but the sweet spot is about the same. The Odyssey's panel is only a few inches taller but the same width as the SL3. I wish Martin Logan at least made the Odyssey's panel the same width as the Request. What can you tell me. Thanks

The Odyssey's panel is only a few inches taller but the same width as the SL3. I wish Martin Logan at least made the Odyssey's panel the same width as the Request. What can you tell me. Thanks

With Prodigy panels being a bit wider I would suspect the sweet spot is wider as well. I never had the Ascent set up correctly and with good amplification to determine sweet spot size with them, but I can tell you that the Prodigy sweet spot is probably big enough for two people to sit on a love seat together and hear virtually the same thing! That is pretty big for ML panels in my experience...

Pcar, If you ever test out the theory, let me know the out come. I have a rocking chair in the middle of the sweet spot with a coffe table inbetween with another rocking chair that is off to the right speaker side and the stereo effect is almost lost at that chair. If I remember right, the speakers are about 9 feet apart and the sweet spot chair is about 9 feet away from the stereo, a perfect triangle. Yet somehow the stereo sounds good in the other down stair rooms, maybe because when I am in another room I am not doing any serious listening.

Another issue, I see that your in a praise band. I am a cantor at an Christian Orthodox church. No guitars or drums, just choir and organ, but we sing music around 200 to 1000 years old. Then again if you sing any of David's Psalms in any style, the words are 3000 years old.

Last edited:
James,

WOW! The new TV, the specially designed box, and Salamander stand look amazing! The whole new look is awesome!! Congratulations on your new Sony 70XBR2! :cheers:

Seth

Last edited:
Crazy man James!! You've been upgrading like crazy! First the rack, then the MBLs, now the TV.... when will it end, man?! :D :D :D

Crazy man James!! You've been upgrading like crazy! First the rack, then the MBLs, now the TV.... when will it end, man? :D :D

YOU TELL ME DOCTOR! I am not even getting this infection undercontrol yet! I still feel feaverish every time Robin posts some more pics! LOL! :D

If I don't watch out either my wife of the bank will put an end to this disease for sure!!!!

Yea, since last summer I have gone a little crazy I guess. Though I have to say that I never even DREAMED of touching the ML's! Once I saw MBL's I was hooked on those and knew I would have some eventually and when those "a" models poped up for $4500, how could I pass that up?! I mean they were $16,000 new and at $4500 they were $2500 less than my Prodigy (bought those used too, but much newer than the MBL's). Where and when would I otherwise have found any MBL 101's for less than $5k...hell, less than $16k! Have seen some "d" models for that...still seems like a pretty good deal, at about 45% of new cost...

Thanks Joey for the comments, it is a REALLY GREAT set up now! It was damn good before, but now...WOW! I just need to program my Pronto remote to automatically access my 400 disc player and I will be in GREAT SHAPE!

Another issue, I see that your in a praise band. I am a cantor at an Christian Orthodox church. No guitars or drums, just choir and organ, but we sing music around 200 to 1000 years old. Then again if you sing any of David's Psalms in any style, the words are 3000 years old.

Most of the stuff we sing and play is MUCH newer than that...I guess we have a few M. W. Smith and Amy Grant songs from the '80's but that is about as old as we go. We do a lot of 3rd day and some Kutless stuff...LOVE the Kutless songs, as we can really cut loose with those and let the guitars REALLY SING OUT! :rocker:

My wife LOVES choral music and I am sure would LOVE the stuff you guys do! She is a big fan of organ music too. Interestingly she does not care for Blues or Jazz so much, even though she did play in her high school Jazz band. She does like country music though...YUCK! I make her keep that crap in her car, I don't even let it play through the ML's! LOL! I am sooooo mean! :devil:

She does like country music though...YUCK! I make her keep that crap in her car, I don't even let it play through the ML's! LOL! I am sooooo mean! :devil:

That's not being mean. That's just taking proper care of your logans. It's like unplugging them during a thunderstorm. Just the tender, loving, care that they deserve. :D

That's not being mean. That's just taking proper care of your logans. It's like unplugging them during a thunderstorm. Just the tender, loving, care that they deserve. :D

Oooh... WOW!!!!

That, ladies and gents, was a BURN!!!!

:haha1: :haha1:

LOL! LOVE IT! You are exactly right! Just protecting them! ;)

Pcar, I find the Martin Logans sound best with jazz and classical music because they radiate music rather than Bomb Blast it. Also basic Rock-N-Roll without the sound effects don't need a sweet spot, but need speakers that carry the music thru out a house specially during a party. Sometimes I am surprise at what good production is in some Rock-N-Roll CD's that does require a sweet spot via Martin Logan's.

Hehehe...I remember seeing Amy Grant in concert in the early 1980's in Des Moines Iowa of all places. Right now as I am writing this note I am listening to John Michael Talbot. My favorite er...Christian band...if one can call it that...is Iona. Something like the progressive rock group "Yes" but with a Celtic twist. Lot of the songs are about the Irish Saints or love and care of creation. I need to get back into my jazz mode...and as with you...country music is not one of my favorites. I prefer folk or at lest fast folk: Luka Bloom or Shawn Colvin etc...In fact I just bought Patty Griffin's newest CD "Children Running Through", very deep and scary, with just a hint of country.

Last edited:
My favorite er...Christian band...if one can call it that...is Iona. Something like the progressive rock group "Yes" but with a Celtic twist. Lot of the songs are about the Irish Saints or love and care of creation.

Shawn Colvin etc...In fact I just bought Patty Griffin's newest CD "Children Running Through", very deep and scary, with just a hint of country.

Never heard of Iona...I'll have to look them up.

Shawn Colvin is a good Austin girl... She gets interviewed on the radio from time to time. You saw Amy Grant, did you ever see Petra? I saw them like 5 or 6 times...still LOVE their music! Still have a bunch of it on vinyl that I pull out from time to time. Resurection Band, Daniel Band, John Mehler, Sweet Comfort Band...just a few of my old favs! Petra was really the big time for me though and I listened to them all the time!

Ahhh...so your on line now...this is almost a chat room :) Is Petra still around? Do you listen to Russian or Gregorian chat? I write alot of reviews about "Iona" in Amazon.com...their lastest stuff is more rockish. See: http://www.amazon.com/Circling-Hour-Iona/dp/B000I2J3EY/ref=cm_cr-mr-title/103-4925049-9113457

It seems Petra has just broken up for the last time recently (in the last 2 years). Bob Hartman was the lead guitar and really the backbone of the group and they went through various iterations, but for awhile he was out and the second or third lead singer was the main guy, then Bob came back in for a bit over a year and they did a last album and then toured and that was it. They will be missed...at least by me.

I have only heard chant when it has been included in a movie or on a TV show, never actually listened to a CD of it...

At times it can be like a chat room here! LOL! :rocker:

It will Never End - Joey, Just A Fact Of Life For Advanced Membeship At The ML Club

Crazy man James!! You've been upgrading like crazy! First the rack, then the MBLs, now the TV.... when will it end, man?!
James,

I was just wondering how you will set-up your beautiful MBL's? :)
James you do realize, if I'd have seen them first you would be asking me this question, instead of me asking you... :D Anyway, will you set-up a second system in your home or biuld another music listening addition around your MBL's? :D

Do you still play your vinyl? I don't see a record player in the main list. I still collect Jazz records and get a lot of hand-me-down LP's from people who no longer have a record player. If you set up a record player right it can at times beat a CD player, specially in smoothness

James,

I was just wondering how you will set-up your beautiful MBL's? :)
James you do realize, if I'd have seen them first you would be asking me this question, instead of me asking you... :D Anyway, will you set-up a second system in your home or biuld another music listening addition around your MBL's? :D

I have been thinking about that too... I have NO IDEA WHAT I AM GOING TO DO WITH THEM! Isn't that TERRIBLE?! Probably put them in Zone 2 where the Aerius i were before I sold them the end of last year. Good timing I guess.

They are REALLY begging for more power than my little Rotel RB1050 in zone 2 duty though! I am not sure at this point. I'll figure something out. I didn't want to let this deal get away because I thought about it to much though!

I'll of course keep you posted and provide pics when the time comes.

Philox,

Yea, I have a TT, it is the Rega Planar P2 w/ the RB300 Tone arm and Rega Exact cart. Nice set up. I use the Rotel phone pre for it...

It is not GREAT, but damn good. Someday I will upgrade that to a Super Scoutmaster or something like that... and a better phono pre as well... maybe one of those Sutherland models that the ML cofounder makes!

Back