System #145 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
System #145 (Montis)

1. Member Name: Edwin

2. Location: Goulburn, Australia

3. ML Model(s): Summit - replaced with Theos (2011) and upgraded to Montis in 2013.

4. Year Purchased: 2013

5. Mods/Changes: Nil mods

6. Associated Electronics:

Source 1: Rega RP3 turntable fitted with a Denon DL-304 cartridge

Source 2: CEC Belt Drive TL51XR CD player

Preamplifier: Naquadria V2 balanced valve buffered

Phono Preamp: Dynavector P75 Mk 3 Phono preamp

Amplifier: Naquadria Fireblade valve monobloc

Speakers: MartinLogan Montis

Home Theatre: Panasonic AE PT4000 LCD projector, GrandView 95 inch pulldown screen.

Comment: The room size is about 20 feet by 22 feet and is of double brick construction. Movies are 2 channel only.but for movies.

Here's some pics of my new Montis speakers:

IMG_2110.jpgIMG_2095.jpg

...and a couple of pics from my previous ML systems featuring Theos and my old Summits.

Attachments

• ML.jpg
    ML.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 3,236
  • IMG_9612.jpg
    IMG_9612.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMG_9616.jpg
    IMG_9616.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,210
Last edited:
Nice

Nice setup you got there Edwin.

I didn't know you were that young.;)

Go Magpies!

Nice indeed !

Congrats ! You have a finely balanced system !

The combination of tube preamp and SS amp is a great one. I've had a Classé Twenty-five for a few years and regret at times (mostly in winter) to have sold it ! This amp is very musical and has what it takes to control those membranes ! :cool:

I have heard great comments about the CEC TL51XR. Great choice for CD playing !

Take care, enjoy the music ! ;)

Edwin, Congrats on the summitt system as well as being into viynl. Rega is a fine company making excellent analog as well as digital players. I'm curious as to what appears to be some sort of wall treatment/curtian behind one speaker but not the other ??

Just recently I had a listen to the CEC CD player at Audioconnection - sounds fantastic!

Congratulations on a nice setup.

I have owned the CEC CD3300R for a year now and I love this CD player. Hard to believe its a Sanyo. Just goes to show what a company can do when they do not compromise.

Beautiful Summit System...

edwinr,

Well, so you have a wonderful summit system after all... :p
Your child seem to love it as well. :D I like your the window treatment in your HT. Your HT seems to be very comfortable and inviting...

Thanks for your kind words, guys. The room was originally a basement which opened to the outside yard via a glass sliding door. I have added wooden pelmets to the windows since this pic to give a more finished look. My previous speakers, the Klipschorns, actually sat in the corners of the long wall, but the Summits sound best on the shorter wall in this particular room so I've had to re-orientate things. The brickwork has been painted and may later have a color change - It depends whether I can fit the painting in with my listening! There has been little work on acoustic room treatment, but now that the Summits have run in a little, this is the next step.

Edwin.

Last edited:
Super system.... You may want to "flatten out the Summits a bit (ie: less toe in). I found with my Summits that soundstage improved a lot by doing that.

Thanks. Jerry. I hadn't tried that. I'm used to toeing in speakers from my Klipsch days. I need to experiment more.

Edwin,

How goes the experimentation with the toe-in? Have you found your toe-in ideal yet?

Joey

Hi Joey, I didn't respond to your post. My toe-in has eventually worked out to be text book Martin Logan. I tried the flashlight trick - and it worked! Just maybe Martin Logan know what they are talking about!

Anyhow, a couple more pics after my new power amplifier addition being the Pass Labs X150.5.

The Current system is now:

Source: CEC TL51XR belt drive CD player

Preamplifer: Audio Research LS25 MkII

Power amplifier: Pass Labs X150.5

Speakers: Summits

Attachments

• System.jpg
    System.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,734
Last edited:
Another pic:

Attachments

• System1.jpg
    System1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,358
And one more of the new addition to the family - the Pass labs X150.5:

Attachments

• Pass.jpg
    Pass.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 679
Great system, let us know how you feel about the Pass amp after you warm it up a few times.
I am researching amps to buy when I get back home in Novemeber for my Vantages. One of the brands I keep going back to is the Pass amps.

Lee

Summits sold! As well as my Audio Research preamp. I had some medical bills that wouldn't wait! :(

Next phase? I don't know yet. I looked at Maggies, but I'm not convinced. The new Reserve series is more my style. I don't think I can get back into the Summit X, but the Spire is looking good! I could nearly afford a pair. I could most definitely afford a pair of Ethos...

Last edited:
I've updated my member system details to include my latest update to the fabulous Montis loudspeakers. These speakers are the best I have ever owned.

I recently purchased a pair of Naquadria Fireblade monobloc valve amplifiers, rated at around 50 watts of pure class A triode power. Each monobloc features 4 x 6550 valves (which are run at only 55% power capacity for longevity) and has a $1000 output transformer. So these babies take no prisoners!

These amplifiers lived in a studio for the past 10 years and were a little grimy when I got them. I had the amps fully serviced and fitted with new valves. After I got them home I gave them a wipe and a polish and they came up as good as new.

My current preamp is a passive Naquadria model, but I have ordered a custom Naquadria V2 valve buffered fully balanced preamp with an inbuilt Burr Brown DAC, which should be ready for delivery in a few weeks. My CEC CD player is missing from the pics because the audio engineer who's building my preamp is modding it for me.

IMG_3118.jpgIMG_3119.jpgIMG_3116.jpgIMG_3128.jpg

Last edited:
Back