System #140 (SL3, Theater i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkbit

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Chris, 27y.o

2. Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL USA

3. ML Model(s): SL3s and Theater i

4. Year Purchased: SL3s purchased in 1998 and Theater i purchased in March of 2006

5. Mods/Changes: No Mods, except some nicer spikes from OregonDV.com

6. Associated Electronics:

Processor- Theta Casa Nova- purchased 1998- recently serviced and upgraded with new firmware

Amplifiers-
Classe Audio CA-200 power the SL3s
Classe Audio CA-100 bridged to power the Theater i
Acurus A150 to power rears (Def Tech BP2x)

Other:
Yamaha CDC 665 CD Changer
Panasonic 97s DVD Player
Directv HD Receiver
Belkin PF 40 - surge
Monster 3500 - surge
Velodyne FSR-12 subwoofer
Def Tech BP2x surrounds
Panasonic 42PX500 Plasma TV
Both SL3s are on 1.25" thick granite blocks

Cables:
All various Monster M1000 series cable (not my first choice, but was all free...the price was right)
Speaker- M2.4s Biwire

7. Comments

I first was introduced to MLs when I started working at United Audio (those in the Chicago area will remember- they are now Tweeter). I bought them soon after and they are the only part of my system I have not thought about upgrading. This year I finally got rid of my DefTech BP 2002 center and got the Theater i...WHOA what a difference. The Deftech sounded like it was playing in a tin can compared to the Theater. I would love to continue to upgrade my system as budget allows, but it will have to wait awhile. I think my next upgrade will be a new CD player and a second sub (probably depth) would be nice to fill the room. The Room is 15w16d with 18' ceilings.

Feel free to comment and also express you opinions on what my next upgrade should be.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 627
  • backlights.jpg
    backlights.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 566
  • above.jpg
    above.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 555
I love hardwood floors.

Nice system Chris.

That is sooo cool with the lights :cool:

Nice looking system, very clean. Glad to see another Chicagoan!

Excellent HT System...

Chris,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!
Beautiful SL3 / Theater i / Classe system. :) Your system looks fantastic on those gorgous hardwood floors. ;) What kind of hardwood are your floors? Are you concidering any aonic room treatments as well?

Great system!

Thanks for the nice comments

Robin- The floors are Brazilian Cherry. I had them put in by a friend of mine in March. I love them, the tones of brown and red are so rich. I would love nothing more than to put up some room treatments as the room needs them because of all of the hard surfaces and high ceilings, but the aesthetics to me are not desireable as my system is in my main living area. Someday I will have a dedicated room and will absolutely put some treatments up.

Question for you guys: I have toyed with upgrading my CD player for awhile, however being that the DACs in the Theta are pretty good I have a hard time spending money on a nice payer that basically will become a transport only. Will I really notice a difference with a better transport? Also, at what price point would I be at to get a cd player with better DACs than the theta?

thanks

Chris,nice clean system,glad to see another Chicagoan,(GO SOX).I've got Brazillian cherry floors on the entire first floor of my home,they get more beautiful with age,they actually darken instead of fade when exposed to light.
WELCOME ABOARD!

Back