System #131 (Odyssey)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Transparent

1. Member Name: N Tran (aka Transpa.)
2. Location: Melbourne, Australia
3. ML Model(s): Odyssey
4. Year Purchased: 2005
5. Mods/Changes: None
6. Associated Electronics:
CD Player:Rotel RCD 1072
Pre-amp: N.E.W P-3
Amp: Bryston 4BST
7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: The best loudspeakers that I’ve heard so far. I’ve known MLs for a long time but I only purchased them last year after so many years of saving.

8. An image of your system.

Attachments

• DSC01105_editeda.JPG
    DSC01105_editeda.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 4,628
...and another beuatifully clean and simple set-up.

How do the other speakers sound in comparison?

Though I'm not normally a fan of the second gen Logan looks... I must say that your setup had me drooling for a little bit there. Great setup and very well done!

What are those other speakers, if you havent mentioned already?

Hi SugarMedia and Joey,

Thanks for your compliments. The other non-ML speakers are NHT VT-2. I also use a pair of NHT SuperOne at the back. From the front of the VT-2, below the black grill, you can select a switch for music mode or movie mode. They are the first NHT generation, which was designed by Ken Kantor, and I still think they are better than the later series. I use the NHT for watching movies or listening to loud rock music. I also use them for listening to some CDs, which I like but the audio quality are not so good. As you two already knew, MLs are very revealing speakers therefore not all CDs can be played through them. When comes to vocals, the ML Odysseys just simply kill the NHT VT-2s. I love my Odysseys. It took me a long time to find the best position for them and moving them around, as you know, are not an easy task at all.

Sugarmedia, I love your modern setup.
Joey, you have one of the best MLs speakers, the Summits.

Thank for looking, Transpa.

The N.E.W tube Pre.

Here is the N.E.W P-3 pre.

Attachments

• ThePre.JPG
    ThePre.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,590
Robin, thank you for your compliment. As some of the ML members already mentioned before, Tube or Solid State, it all comes down to your personal taste and none of them is better than the other. Few months ago my friend brought his Bryston BP25 solid state preamplifier to my place. We sat down and listened to both of them (his Bryston preamp and my N.E.W preamp) for a very long time and at the end we both agreed that we love both of them, depending on the type of music you are listening to. The Bryston BP25 is very fast and the N.E.W is very lay back. So you know what I meant when I said “depending on the type of music”. The Bryston Preamp is not cheap and if I have money, I will get one as well.

Thanks for looking, Transpa.

Your system is just super...

Transparent said:
Robin, thank you for your compliment. As some of the ML members already mentioned before, Tube or Solid State, it all comes down to your personal taste and none of them is better than the other. Few months ago my friend brought his Bryston BP25 solid state preamplifier to my place. We sat down and listened to both of them (his Bryston preamp and my N.E.W preamp) for a very long time and at the end we both agreed that we love both of them, depending on the type of music you are listening to. The Bryston BP25 is very fast and the N.E.W is very lay back. So you know what I meant when I said “depending on the type of music”. The Bryston Preamp is not cheap and if I have money, I will get one as well.

Thanks for looking, Transpa.
Transparent,

Your system must be like your name Transparent - sound / sonic imaging... :D :p :D

Transparent, I also have the Odysseys as my main speakers in my front room and a back up pair of NHT VT-2 in the garage. I agree that the NHT VT-2 is a rock-n-roll / HT speaker while the Martin Logan is a Jazz-Classical speaker. I use to have a full NHT VT-2, VS-2, Sub 2 5.1 system in another room but my wife wanted in-wall speakers and an easy control system. The NHT VS-2's (3 of them: 1 center and 2 rears) are in a closet. One of these days I need to run a zone 2 system for upstairs from the Audio Research LS-16 per-amp to play a pair of VS-2. You must have the same ears as I do :band:

Transparent, I also have the Odysseys as my main speakers in my front room and a back up pair of NHT VT-2 in the garage. I agree that the NHT VT-2 is a rock-n-roll / HT speaker while the Martin Logan is a Jazz-Classical speaker.

While ML's certainly do Jazz/Classical better than most any other reasonably priced speaker on the market, they don't have ANY problem doing HT duty too! My Prodigy and the Ascent (as front main) before them are/were AWESOME for HT use! I personally would not bother with 2 pair of speakers up front... just find a great 2 channel pre w/ full pass through mode and enjoy the AWESOME sound of the Odyssey for both music and HT! YMMV! :rocker:

BTW, this system looks AWESOME!!!

Back