System #12 (reQuest, Aerius i, Theater i, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am always concerned about bringing something that big in via a carrier. It is a whole lot of TV for them to drop or knock over!

Yeah I was really worried about that as well, being that I had never had a big screen TV delivered via freight. I'm really happy that the big Sony arrived in pristine condition :D :D

Big system changes

Well It's out with the 65 inch Mitsubishi and hello to a Sony 70 XBR2 SXRD. This thing is HUGE! I love it! :D It produces the best HD images I have seen. Another addition is Toshiba's 2nd gen. HD DVD player, the HD-XA2. I had seen HD DVD movie clips and trailers at various retailers and I was very impressed, but now that I have actually seen complete movies on this new player I am blown away!

HD DVD has me so spoiled that now I wish everything was available in the format.;) I know, wishful thinking right? But I do know that I am going to be adding quite a few more HD DVD titles to my collection.

In HD heaven and loving every minute of it! :D

Well It's out with the 65 inch Mitsubishi and hello to a Sony 70 XBR2 SXRD. This thing is HUGE! I love it! :D It produces the best HD images I have seen. Another addition is Toshiba's 2nd gen. HD DVD player, the HD-XA2. I had seen HD DVD movie clips and trailers at various retailers and I was very impressed, but now that I have actually seen complete movies on this new player I am blown away!

HD DVD has me so spoiled that now I wish everything was available in the format.;) I know, wishful thinking right? But I do know that I am going to be adding quite a few more HD DVD titles to my collection.

In HD heaven and loving every minute of it! :D

Congrats on the new TV! I look forward to joining you in HD Sony 70" heaven soon! I can't wait to add one to my system either! SWEET PIC on those things!

PM me about price and where you bought. Always interested in getting the best deal I can...which is why I have not bought yet...still looking for JUST THE RIGHT DEAL!

Just checked out the pic...MAN THAT IS HUGE! And it looks AWESOME DUDE!!!! Man I just can't WAIT to get set up like that at my place! Will set it on a Salamander Quad 20 so I have ALL KINDS of room in the cabinets for my gear and I will set the TV on a box (the same size at the base) and mount my Theater to that box and hide my RGPC Pole Pig and one of the RGPC 400 MkII's in that box...Oh, suede covered box too for sure!

Last edited:
Pcar928fan,

Thanks for the very nice compliment on my system;) Can't wait till you get yours, you are going to love it! HD on this TV is amazing! I remember HD looking very good on my old 65 inch Mits CRT, but this thing puts HD in a whole other realm of realism. The colors and the ultra deep blacks the Sony produces are out of sight. The Sony's internal scaler works really well also, especially when playing back standard DVD's. You'll see what I'm saying once you get yours.

Once you get your TV be sure to use an HDMI cable to connect your HD Tivo. It's not that connecting through component is bad, it actually looks really great, but with HDMI you will get every last detail of an HD image that you just can't get using component. Images will have more pop to them.

Another thing that I found out (through experimentation) is to use the S Video connection method for standard non HD content from DirecTV. At first I tried viewing everything though HDMI, and while HD stuff was absolutely mind blowing, standard 480i programs on the other hand looked mediocre. But after hooking up the HD Tivo using S Video for 480i material, and after calibrating the S Video input, standard stuff actually looked pretty good.

Using separate inputs for standard and HD DirecTV content lets you calibrate each input separately to achieve the best look for both. Just a little something I wanted to share;) And to get you started in the right direction as to what video adjustments offer the best improvements for PQ and which ones don't, here's a helpful guide (It's for the 70 XBR2's smaller brother the 60XBR2, but the adjustments menus are identical for both):
http://ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1206sonykdsr60xbr2/index6.html

You are really gonna' be drooling when you get an HD disc player connected to this TV.:drool: My Yamaha S2300 looks amazing but HD DVD's really take the cake.

That Salamander Quad 20 is going to be an excellent compliment to the big Sony. And having all that room to place your gear is going to be great. I can't wait to see some pix once you get it.

Seth

Another thing that I found out (through experimentation) is to use the S Video connection method for standard non HD content from DirecTV. At first I tried viewing everything though HDMI, and while HD stuff was absolutely mind blowing, standard 480i programs on the other hand looked mediocre. But after hooking up the HD Tivo using S Video for 480i material, and after calibrating the S Video input, standard stuff actually looked pretty good.

http://ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1206sonykdsr60xbr2/index6.html

That Salamander Quad 20 is going to be an excellent compliment to the big Sony. And having all that room to place your gear is going to be great.

Seth,

Thanks for all the great advice! I am wondering if there would be any benefit for SD programming to use the component vs. the S-video connection into the TV? I love your idea to do the two different connections though...great thought!

Let me know on the S-video vs. Component if you can check it out or if you already know.

OK, I'm officially jealous!

My wife and I are getting ready to purchase the same TV to sit between our reQuests, but we need to re-construct the entertainment center to make it fit. I'm OK with the construction part, but we're arguing over where the pro-audio rack will be installed.....We just can't come to an agreement so we're at a stand still/stand-off if you will.

But your system is VERY similar to mine...well, minus about 5 components....COOL!

Dan

Last edited:
Pcar928fan,

I haven't compared the 2 connection methods (Component vs. S Video) on the new Sony, but I did on my old 65" Mitsubishi CRT. On that TV, S Video for standard stuff looked way better. Using component made the image too soft. I will try it out on the Sony but I'm expecting a similar result.

Seth

I haven't compared the 2 connection methods (Component vs. S Video) on the new Sony, but I did on my old 65" Mitsubishi CRT. On that TV, S Video for standard stuff looked way better. Using component made the image too soft. I will try it out on the Sony but I'm expecting a similar result.

WOW! I am shocked...I had no idea...I guess I will have to play w/ my connections a bit when I change things over! I have never tried that. I just made the assumption that the higher grade connection would give the better pic. I guess not!

Thanks for the heads up and if you get a chance to experiment let me know how it works out.

wink,

Another soon to be Sony 70XBR2 owner, Way cool!:rocker: You're right, we both have very similar setups (reQuests, Theater i, Sunfire gear, Monster power surge/line conditioner). That is cool :)

So where the heck to put the pro audio rack? Wife wants it one way you another, and haven't reached a happy medium yet. I can see how that can make it tough to finish up the project. But I'm sure that somehow you both will find a location that will work for both of you. You're just saying "let it be soon";)

Congrats on the upcoming purchase and hope to see some pix of the new look soon.

Seth

WOW! I am shocked...I had no idea...I guess I will have to play w/ my connections a bit when I change things over! I have never tried that. I just made the assumption that the higher grade connection would give the better pic. I guess not!

Thanks for the heads up and if you get a chance to experiment let me know how it works out.

I'll definitely let you know :)

Seth

STV,

Very nice looking setup. Congrats on the new TV, it looks very good the way you've set it up.
At first I thought it was a darn huge plasma or LCD hanging on the wall. Guess those big ML's distort perspective ;)

Enjoy!

wow, that's impressive! Would love to hear the comments from people who come over to your house not knowing you're into hifi.

Sugarmedia,

Thanks!:) Yeah It's quite something to see peoples reactions to the setup that don't know I'm into A/V. A lot of them have left and were so impressed with what they saw (and heard) that they got Home Theater setups. It's amazing what good sights and sounds will do :)

I just switched from DirecTV over to Dish Network and I am going ga ga over all the HD channels. Dish's HD DVR (VIP622) works surprisingly well, and so far I haven't experienced any glitches with it. The user interface Isn't Tivo but it does what it needs to do, and that is record all that glorious HD programming.

Right now I am in total HD heaven!!

Seth

I just switched from DirecTV over to Dish Network and I am going ga ga over all the HD channels. Dish's HD DVR (VIP622) works surprisingly well, and so far I haven't experienced any glitches with it. The user interface Isn't Tivo but it does what it needs to do, and that is record all that glorious HD programming.

Right now I am in total HD heaven!!

Seth

Seth,

Were you not getting DirecTV HD? Just wondering how they compare. I have DirecTV but have thought about the Dish/ATT deal where you can get like free service for a YEAR or something...I don't want to miss out though if DirecTV adds a TON more HD programming which they have talked about for some time now... Not sure when it will be though...

Seth,

Were you not getting DirecTV HD? Just wondering how they compare. I have DirecTV but have thought about the Dish/ATT deal where you can get like free service for a YEAR or something...I don't want to miss out though if DirecTV adds a TON more HD programming which they have talked about for some time now... Not sure when it will be though...

Yes I did have the HD package with DirecTV and was using their Hughes HR10-250 HD Tivo/receiver. I was limited to the amount of HD channels I could get using the Tivo unit since it was only MPEG 2. I wanted to get DirecTV's new H20 HD DVR, but some poor customer service made me switch to Dish. And in a way I guess It's a good thing that I didn't get their new H20 HD DVR. From what I've been reading, many customers have been having a lot of issues with it.

As to how HD on DirecTV and Dish compare, well, they both look great. But I will say that I'm sure enjoying the 30+ HD channels that Dish offers though. I know that DirecTV has promised that they will soon be offering 100 HD channels. But Dish not to be outdone is also upping their HD Channel offerings this year.

And the HD DVR that Dish has works great! So far I haven't had any issues with it. It's not Tivo but it works good and does record all the HD programs I want. So I'm happy with the change :)

Seth

I just switched from DirecTV over to Dish Network and I am going ga ga over all the HD channels. Dish's HD DVR (VIP622) works surprisingly well, and so far I haven't experienced any glitches with it. The user interface Isn't Tivo but it does what it needs to do, and that is record all that glorious HD programming. Right now I am in total HD heaven!! Seth
Super clean, perfect room balance, nice looking HT, Seth! I think ML should relaunch the Requests line....they have such a good combination of big width/proportion and bass. I bet your systems sounds sweet. That Sony 70" doesn't get any better that that either. How does the Theater mounted above the screen sound and sync with the picture/system?

I've had the same experience with Dish HD and the 622. Awesome pictures and a lot of quality channels.

BTW, do you know Mike and Pat Rocco-- the burley Italian from Brooklyn who lives near T or C in Caballo? He's my wife's Uncle-- we spent some time at the big lake with them in our motorhome a few years back. I'm convinced that is a best kept secret area in NM. One day going to jump off the map and really grow.

Mark S.

Last edited:
Sugarmedia,
Thanks!:) Yeah It's quite something to see peoples reactions to the setup that don't know I'm into A/V. A lot of them have left and were so impressed with what they saw (and heard) that they got Home Theater setups. It's amazing what good sights and sounds will do :)
Haven't you noticed that many of the visiting reactions is they get real quiet and don't say much--a bit overwhelming. I call it the "ML/HT Stun Factor"- :eek:

Super clean, perfect room balance, nice looking HT, Seth! I think ML should relaunch the Requests line....they have such a good combination of big width/proportion and bass. I bet your systems sounds sweet. That Sony 70" doesn't get any better that that either. How does the Theater mounted above the screen sound and sync with the picture/system?

I've had the same experience with Dish HD and the 622. Awesome pictures and a lot of quality channels.

BTW, do you know Mike and Pat Rocco-- the burley Italian from Brooklyn who lives near T or C in Caballo? He's my wife's Uncle-- we spent some time at the big lake with them in our motorhome a few years back. I'm convinced that is a best kept secret area in NM. One day going to jump off the map and really grow.

Mark S.

First off thank you for the nice compliment on my system :) I agree, the reQuests should be re launched. They are magnificent speakers with some really large panels that fill large rooms very nicely.

Re how the Theater i sounds being mounted on the wall. At first I thought it wasn't going to sound good being that it's really close to the wall and may not have enough breathing room. Well any worries that I had quickly went away after I heard it. Who would have thought that it would actually sound better on the wall than out into the room. I was pleasantly surprised.

Yes the big Sony looks incredible! HD is the best I have seen on a big screen micro display. Of course the ultimate would be to have a dedicated theater room with a front projector ;)

I know a lot of people from TorC but not too many from Caballo. I'm sure I have seen Mike and Pat Rocco in town but I don't know them personally. Yes I agree, this area is a really nice place that has the potential to really grow. Now that the lakes water level is finally getting back to where it used to be back when, things are definitely looking up.

Haven't you noticed that many of the visiting reactions is they get real quiet and don't say much--a bit overwhelming. I call it the "ML/HT Stun Factor"- :eek:

Yes I have noticed that with many people. The "ML/HT stun factor" is a great way to describe it. ;)

Seth

Back