System #114 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereoman

Reaction score
System #114 (15a Renaissance)

1. Member Name: Bill
2. Location: Toronto, Ont., Canada
3. ML Model(s): Renaissance 15A
4. Year Purchased: 2019
5. Mods/Changes: None
6. Associated Electronics:
CD Player: Luxman D-08u
Integrated Amp: EAR V20 [as of 2007-07] (http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/1099ear/#Ot58ytXOzZcKuai6.97)​
Cables: Speaker: Audiomica Laboratory Genimedes Ultra Reference, Interconnects: Audiomica Laboratory Europa Ultra Reference , Power: Audiomica Laboratory Ness Excellence .
Room Treatment: Echo Busters and PHASE-4; area carpet
Power: Foundation Research LS10 (quantity 3), Furutech e-TP80 Power Bar, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) Power Outlet, Wall Plate and cover plate, Synergistic Research Black fuses in all components, High Fidelity Cables MC-0.5 Magnetic Wave Guide
Vibration Control: isoAcoustics GAIA footers for the speakers and electronics.
Misc: ENTREQ grounding boxes; Acoustic Revive RR-888 Ultra Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Telos Audio Design's Gold RCA Mk2 Caps

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
The Logans fill my medium-large room with beautiful music. I purchased my first system 30 years ago--a Marantz quadraphonic CD4 system! :eek: Listening to the same music (Isao Tomita, Snowflakes Are Dancing) shows that you don't need 4 speakers to have suround sound. The Logans are magical. :)

8. An image of your system:

Attachments

• B9013B93-C74C-4882-BB14-A070C10261C3.jpg
    B9013B93-C74C-4882-BB14-A070C10261C3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Summit Sunrise

I'm lucky to have a friend who is learning to paint. I wonder how much he'll charge me for the painting, especially if he finds out how much I spent on my stereo :eek: ...

Attachments

• martin_logan_painting_small.JPG
    martin_logan_painting_small.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 7,095
Last edited:
Bill, Welcome ! As I said in previous thread, beautifull inside and out !! It's good to have another ARC guy in the fold !! You live in a great city BTW ! it's unfortuneate that the Fast Ferry to Rochester,NY didn't last that long, fun way to come over for a weekend.

nice indeed. how do you like the arc ls16? im looking for a new preamp right now and haven't decided although the ls16 and 25 are in my mind. any info?

A view from the Summit's...

Bill,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Your electronics - Linn, Classe and Audio Research really seem to compliment your Summit's. IMHO, your friend did an excellent rendering of your place. Your system looks as fantastic as it must sound. ;)

Beautiful Summit system. :D

Robin said:
Bill,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Your electronics - Linn, Classe and Audio Research really seem to compliment your Summit's. IMHO, your friend did an excellent rendering of your place. Your system looks as fantastic as it must sound. ;)

Beautiful Summit system. :D
Thanks! I'm really surprised at how well the Linn Karik/Numeric sound considering their age. Come the fall I plan on bringing them over to a few stores to compare them with current players to see if it is worth upgrading.

My question is did you ever hear the Progidy? I find it hard to believe that the Summit can be better than the Prodigy was. If you haven't, has anyone else? If so, comments please!

Justin

User211 said:
My question is did you ever hear the Progidy? I find it hard to believe that the Summit can be better than the Prodigy was. If you haven't, has anyone else? If so, comments please!

Justin
The prodigy is a grate speaker, one of the best Martin Logan has ever built, but in my option it’s no Summit. The prodigy had grate imaging, sounds just seemed to float in mid air, and the bass was tight and natural. The summit’s can image a sound with pin point accuracy, it’s very scary how life like the summits sound. The bass boxes are only about ¼ the size of the prodigy’s bass boxes with twice the bass. I always thought the prodigy had perfect bass performance until I auditioned the summits and heard just was seamless bass integration really is, WOW!

For a long time I dreamed about owning a pair of prodigy’s, but after hearing the Summits there is no way I would take the prodigy over the summit. It’s small, easyer to place, easy on the eyes but has a big bold sound that I can’t stop obsessing about. The summits are my reference speaker…now if only I can afford a pair. :rolleyes:

Lusting after Summit's....

Zip3kx07 said:
It’s small, easyer to place, easy on the eyes but has a big bold sound that I can’t stop obsessing about. The summits are my reference speaker…now if only I can afford a pair. :rolleyes:
Joe,

You and me both... ;)

I really would love to own a pair of Summit's in the future, when I can afford it, as well. :)

Window Covering

Hello:
I've found that even though the Summits image fine in front of my large window, lowering the blinds makes them sound even better. I do all of my serious listening with the blinds down, with the only exception being when there are puffy clouds floating by (I can watch them for hours :) ).

Attachments

• blinds_down.jpg
    blinds_down.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6,267
User211 said:
Joe,

Yup it WAS a big, very wide room. I estimate 25 x 25 ft. Also had a suspended floor, which acts as a bit of a subwoofer, part of my reasoning for the 4DB bass drop!. The dealer set the Vantages strainght forward but I toed them in myself. The room also had wall damping which may well have swallowed some HF.

Dumping them in a smaller room with brick walls would undoubtedly help I am sure...

Maybe the dealer had messed with them... I did say the point of the dem was to see if the Summit was worth the extra ££££. I doubt it though. To our ears, IT DEFINATELY WAS/IS worth the extra!!!

Justin
Vantages in a 25’ X 25’ room, I wouldn’t think would need much if any sound absorbing material, at most I would maybe add some diffusers. It sounds like the room was tuned for the summits and not the vantage. From what I heard out of the two speakers the vantage is 80% of the summit for half price. I personally would pay the difference for the summit; they just disappeared into the room better then any speaker I have ever auditioned.

Speaker choices are a very personal thing and as long as your happy with your decision, that’s all that matters.

Take care,

Zip3kx07 said:
I personally would pay the difference for the summit; they just disappeared into the room better then any speaker I have ever auditioned.
Take care,

So true, so true. ;)

Tweaks to the Summits

I’ve been tweaking my system with great success. The most significant improvement came when I changed my speaker cables from the Cardas Golden Reference to the Atlas Ichor (http://uhfmag.com/Cables.html). I’m not using the bi-wire capability of the cable since one of the cables is of highter quality than the other. The improvement in the midrange is amazing. Everything is clearer and has much more impact.

The following tweaks resulted in more subtle improvements:

Speaker Placement
Using the XLO Test & Burn CD (http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=7444) I increased the speaker toe-in. The Logan manual is right on the money when it states “Generally it is found that the ideal listening position is with the speakers slightly toed-in so that you are listening to the inner third of the curved transducer section.”

Power Cords
I replaced the power cords with the PS Audio Plus AC Cord (http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=APSACPLUS2.0M).

Speaker Jumbers
[2006-08-15] Speaker jumpers are now made of the same cable as the speaker cable (Atlas).

Floor Protectors
Audio Points Floor Discs (http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AAPAPCD-2)

After 3 months of tweaking I've reached audio heaven. I can sit back and enjoy the music. :)

The following picture shows the speaker cable, power cord, jumpers, and floor protectors...

Attachments

• summit_connections_atlas.JPG
    summit_connections_atlas.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,178
Last edited:
Speaker Platform

A friend recommended I try isolation platforms under my speakers. Note that the Summit has a downward-facing woofer. I have an engineered hardwood floor over concrete. As a test I purchased two Ikea chopping boards for $25 each (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...15&categoryId=15678&chosenPartNumber=00043245)

The boominess in the bass has vanished. Low frequencies produced by the woofer are clear, solid, and well integrated with the stats. My situation is different than most in that I'm in a condominium. Has anyone else has tried this. I'll eventually replace the chopping blocks with properly isolated platforms from Pro-Ject ( http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=grounditdl&cat=accessories&lang=en).

It may not look too pretty, but it really works. :)

Attachments

• speaker_platform.JPG
    speaker_platform.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,171
i dont like the view much..............................

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

wire setup

steroman i noticed you wired your summits with one wire in the top row and the other on the lower row is this this what martin logan recommends or is it your idea?

Latest posts

Back