System #112 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tailor3

Chuck Dadswell
Cary, North Carolina

The Summits were purchased in April 2006 and replaced Ascent i's that I had for a couple of years that replaced Claritys which started me on this Martin Logan journey.

The Summits have not been changed or modified in any way, but due to my room dimensions (much wider than long) placement has been a challenge. Due to the fact the we really live in the room with the equipment there is not much "wiggle room" for changing speaker placement. I have solved most issues with toe-in and movement forward and backwards inches at a time. I am relatively happy at this point however, due to the open room to the left of the left Summit and a wall/window to the right of the right Summit the soundstage is a bit skewed to the right.

For 2-channel music I run all Cary Audio electronics. Amplification is from a pair of Cary Audio CAD-500MB's. With this much power, I have a tremendous amount of headroom and the Summits have never sounded strained. The preamp is a Cary Audio SLP-05 and the source is a Cary Audio 306 SACD. I have been really happy with Cary Audio and the customer service from Dennis Had and his group is outstanding. It helps that they are only about 10 miles from my home.

For HT, I run the Summits and the CAD-500MBs, the center channel (Def Tech) CLR2500 and the surrounds (Audio Monitor) Radius 90s are driven by a Rotel 1075. A (Def Tech) Supercube 2 rounds out the speaker assembly. The processor is an Anthem Statement D1 and the source is a Marantz DV9500. I also listen to some DVD-A through the HT system.

For cabling, everything is DIY. From the CAD-500MBs to each of the Summits there are 4 runs of Cardas 4S8 so that each of the 4 terminals have about a 11AWG connecting to the power amps. The interconnects (source to preamp and preamp to power amp) are Mogami W2534 star quad neglex. Power cords are (I cheated here) Audio Magic shortened and terminated with Marinco and Wattgate plugs and IECs. The power court to the source is Belden 83804 shielded with both foil and tinned copper braid.

I have 3 dedicated lines (2 to the 2-channel system, 1 to the HT) running from the main panel (same phase).

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,373
That's an incredible system with the best Cary has to offer. I'm a fan of cary equipment. I had an opportunity to audition a pair of Cary 805 tubed Anninversary mono amps and a pair of the 500MBs. Normally I prefer the tube sound but in this case the sound of the Cary 500MB mono amps were a great combination with the Ascents and sounded beautiful together.

So what do you think of the SLP-05 preamp? What did you use for a pre before the SLP-05? Have you tried using window treatments or an absorbing acoustic panel to the right to help balance the open room to the left?

Again, great system!

Rock'n Summit / Cary Audio System...

Chuck,

Your system looks marvalous. :D The Summits have senergy and seamlessness with your Def Tech Supercube 2? Are you planning to send your Anthem D1 in for refurbishing to D2? I was also wondering how you like your Cary Audio gear, especially the Cary Audio SLP-05 pre-amp and the Cary Audio 360 SACD source?

Beautiful system, Chuck. ;)

Chuck ,sounds like a nice sysytem but why can't I view but the one pic of you equipment rack ??????? It's probably me since I'm pretty much a computer retard

Very nice system... er, half a system! ;)

Post more of your system, I think we'd all like a better peek of it. :D

Thanks for all the comments and my apologies for the lateness of the response. I was having trouble being new to the site.

OK, let’s see . . .

The trim color of the summits is dark cherry. It is probably the most neutral of the colors and blends well with our hard-wood floors.

The Cary SLP-05 preamp is amazing. I was running a BAT 31SE that sounded similar, but the Cary sound, to my ears, is clearer and less "dark". I also prefer the volume control on the Cary which is infinitely adjustable rather than the BAT that jumps or clicks. However, I did prefer the BAT remote.

The idea of a window treatment or an absorption panel is a great thought. To test the idea I just opened the window next to the right Summit and it was amazing - my complaint of the soundstage being off-center disappeared. Craig, you’re dead-on with your suggestion. Now to find the right kind of panel. . .

Regarding the Def Tech Supercube, I did run it previously with my Ascents and found it to really bring the bottom-end together. However, with the Summits there is really no need and I haven't tried to integrate the sub.

I did seem to post only "half of a system, or a mono-channel stereo. I will try and post some better pictures in the next week or so.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments and thoughts.

I love the icon with the sunglasses!

Latest posts

Back