System #111 (Aerius i, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstory

Reaction score
Chuck Story
Grand River, Ohio (Near Cleveland)

Speakers (HT)
Vista's
Cinema (new 2001)
SVS PC-Ultra Subwoofer (March 2006)
Mirage Omnipolar Surrounds mounted on ceiling

Electronics (never want to get rid of anything)
Sony DVP 9000ES DVD Player
Sony 555ES multichannel SACD player
Sony EP9ES Dolby Digital Decoder
Sony TA9000ES multichannel Preamp
Rotel RMB-100 Monoblocks for Aerius's
Parasound Monoblock for Cinema
GAS Grandson for Mirage Omnipolars
Outlaw ICBM
HK (Old) Analog FM tuner
Meridian 101 Preamp as a phono stage
Project Turntable with Grado Gold Cartridge
BenQ 7800 DLP projector with Stewart 92" diagonal Firehawk Screen

I think that's about it for the main system. Had Maggies for a while (MG-I's and SMGc's). Have Vandersteen 1-C's in family room, Aperion Audio bookshelves in the bedroom. Actually placed an order for a pair of Magnepan 1.6's. After two months of waiting I found the used Aerius's and bought them on the spot. Best decision I ever made. The 1.6's sounded good, but the midrange magic of the Aerius's just can't be beat for the price. Replacing a Mirage BP-150i subwoofer with the SVS PC-Ultra really took the system to another level. I honestly am amazed now everytime I listen to the system. There is a balance and coherence from top to bottom that makes music sound more alive and realistic now. Replaced Aerius i's with a pair of Vista's and wow did that take the realism up another notch. Instrumets sound more real, and they just appear in the fromt of the room, not connected to the speakers at all. In stereo main vocals or instruments sill sound like they are coming directly our of the center channel, even though it isn't doing anythng. :D

Edited to add the Vista's and to show the LP storage cabinet that was made by my brother in law. He has a furniture business and likes mixing the maple and cherry woods and seems to be partial to Craftsman or Mission style designs. CD storage on the top to either side of the Cinema. Natural Cherry with Maple on the top of the CD storage bins. Made sure it will be large enough to accomidate a Stage, sometime in the (hopefully) not so distant future. Oh yeah, also added the GIK Panels in 4 corners of the room to tighten up the bass. They seem to do an excelent job.

Attachments

• main system.JPG
    main system.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 772
  • doors open.JPG
    doors open.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
Beautiful Aerius HT System...

Chuck,

Beautiful Aerius HT set-up. :) What kind of front projector and screen do you use for your HT? Also, I was wondering what the dimentions of your HT room are? I like how you have your Cinema positioned and your SVS suwoofer looks great in your HT room. :)

Your HT system must be very pleasing to the ear... :D

Hi Chuck, welcome !! Nice set-up ! now get down on your hands and knee's and center up your center channel speaker under your screen !!!

Very pretty! I dig the simplicity of that set up. Any chance to get a shot of your equipment rack? And is that transparent or nordost speaker cable I spy?

Thanks for the kind words. The set up came together last summer when we finished off the basement. The center channel will eventually go on top of a CD or LP storage unit as soon as I can get the brother in law to make something for it.

I didn't take a picture of the equipment rack becuase it is pretty nondescript, but I will add one later.

The projector in this case is a Benq7800 (matterhorn chip), with a 92" Stewart Firehawk. I decided on the Benq becuase it was relatively inexpensive when I bought it last year and I figured I would upgrade it to a 1080P model in a couple of years anyway. But it puts out a pretty good picture. The room is L-shaped with the long dimention 34 ft, but it's only about 14 ft wide at the screen and the smaller leg of the L goes off to the right to the stairs.

Those are indeed Nordost Flatline speaker cables and the Rotel Amps sit behind the panel on the flat part of the speaker. I ran line level wires to outlets on the wall for the connections.

My wife and I love the way the system sounds right now. Movies and music are great, however there may be a Vista or Vantage in my future. ;)

Nice set up, trying to keep the "look clean" years down the road as you slowly upgrade will be a challenge. Enjoy what you have now. :)

Was wondering what the "silvery looking things are" mounted on the wall directly above the Aerius?

Nice setup and great speakers! :)

Webinattor,

Those silvery things are halogen bulb sconces connected to a lutron dimmer. We can keep them on at a low level without affecting the picture comming off of the Firehawk Screen to give a low level of light so that people don't trip on anything if they need to get up.

:bump:

Put in some new pictures, though after seeing the ones that ERRY posted of his Vantages, I'm a bit embarrased at mine. And change it to reflect the fact that Vista's are the new Front LR speakers and I now have a real piece of furniture to hold the Cinema center channel.

Chuck

I like the update it looks GREAT!

Now you need a Stage to go w/ the new speakers! ;-)

Thanks!

Yeah, a Stage is definitely in the plans, but it will probably wait until after the first of the year. In September I leave my system behind for a three month work assignment in England. So stereo upgrades will be put on hold for a while. :(

I think I will have to find a Martin Logan dealer over there and befriend them so that I can spin a few CD's on the weekends to get my music fix. :music:

Chuck

Latest posts

Back