System #109 (Aeon i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
System #109 (Prodigy)

Frank

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Martin Logan Prodigys

Powered by a conrad Johnson CA200 Control Amp (integrated with passive linestage) (185 W - 8 Ohm)

Source: Conrad Johnson HD3 USB dac via a 2009 Mac mini

Digital Stage of DAC powered via a Teddy Pardo Linear Power Supply

Software: Audirvana

Cabling: Spectral MH-770 speaker Cable, MIT Shotgun S1 interconnect and Kingrex Uart USB (Y Type).

Power Cables are either Eichmann Express or Jas Audio Acrolink

Music control via an Ipad

Room correction: double thickness curtains and Thai Rugs

Vibration control: Jas Audio Magnetic Suspension Bases and Eichman Toppers

Attachments

• 20130825_181426.jpg
    20130825_181426.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 20130825_181459.jpg
    20130825_181459.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Musical Aeon i System...

Frank,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Your Aeon i's look so beautiful on those beautiful hard wood floors. ;) What kind of hard wood are your floors? Also, I couldn't help but notice that your computer is close-by your system, Is your computer connected to your musical system? Firewire or USB?

Beautiful musical system... :D

It's great to have you here. :D

Thanks Robin.

The floor is pine and unfortunately very soft, my wife's heels can make dents in it and she only weight just over 100 pounds.

It is beautiful though, the house style is called a Queenslander and built about 100 years ago, the floor is original although recently repolished. In Brisbane, queenslanders are now very expensive and people spend a fortune renovating them (us included) but this was originally a working class house hence the cheap (well cheap in those days) pine floors.

The computer as of yet is not linked, im planning to connect it via the denon to be able to play games on the big screen.

The computer is in the lounge room on the wife's orders, she claims that if it was in another room she would never see me, she is the boss :)

I'm not sure if I am ready for the whole music server on a hard drive thing, we have about 1000 cds and LPs and like the act of putting on a cd and especially like the sound of the cd's on the shanling which has a valve output.

The system shakes the house, literally if desired unfortunately the siting of the aeon i's do not do them justice at all as they are cramped on all sides, but they still sound great, just not magnificent like they sounded in the show room. One day I will have a dedicated music/ht room where I can give them space and room treatments, then they will sing.

Beautiful Aeon i Setting...

Frank,

I think your Queenslander home has been wonderfully restored. You and your wife must be proud. :D Your home looks so comfortable especially with your beautiful Aeon i's. What kind of music do you listen to mostly? Do you play Xbox 360?

Tell your wife she has excellent taste. You have a beautiful listening area. ;)

Time for an update.

In my first post I have replaced my old photo with an up to date picture of my upgraded system.

Since my last post I have added a Thule PA350b power amp to give the aeon i's some extra juice.

In addition I have upgraded all my cables with Tara Labs RSC-CX interconnects and kimber 8TC speaker cables (bi wired)

I have rearranged the room so the speakers are nearly 1 metre from the back wall. Also I am using the spikes and sitting them on porcelain tiles.

How does it sound now - well great actually.

As you noticed my cable managment is not the greatest (well actually its bloody aweful), but I am working on it

Would like to upgrade the cd player but that has to get past the wife :)

Last edited:
New update.

My latest purchase is a prima luna prologue 3 preamp plus Kimber select 1011interconnects.

The difference is night and day, the details are amazing.

My last major upgrade for a while... wife's orders :)

Attachments

• system 1.jpg
    system 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,880
Last edited:
Nice setup,

What do you have under your speakers to protect the floor???

Cheers
Steve

The floor is pine and unfortunately very soft, my wife's heels can make dents in it and she only weight just over 100 pounds.

Ah, your floors are probably not as soft as you thing, and I can explain that with an audiophile reference. (Please don't take this comment the wrong way--it's not meant to dispute you're wife's petite beauty, just to show what focused energy can do--bear with me)

Just like cone or spike footers, women's high heel shoes focus almost their entire weight on a teeny-tiny point. The cross-section of a standard female spike heel is about 1/4 square inch.

So if we do the math, a 100lb woman focusing heer weight on 2 heels would exert something like 400psi force with each step (she'd be putting almost all her force on a single heel as she made each step)

This is one of the great "urban self defense secrets" every woman should know. You can actually crush a man's foot-bones with a well placed heel-stomp, even if you are a tiny woman, and he is wearing boots. 400psi is a LOT of force, and it could be increased if you were forcefully stomping, to as much as 1000psi.

Your system is very nice-looking, and I'm sure your wife is equally attractive. But I've seen pixie-like women put dents in walnut floors because they were wearing pencil-point stilletos and walking too much on their heels... :cool:

Last edited:
I've seen pixie-like women put dents in walnut floors because they were wearing pencil-point stilletos and walking too much on their heels... :cool:

I LOVE those women! Don't see them very often...maybe when I go to one of those "mens clubs"... My wife refuses to wear anything quite that extreme. Unfortunate for me... She has VERY NICE LEGS and shoes like that would just up the ante even more! She says she would fall off of them... she probably would! Then I would feel REALLY bad!

I LOVE those women! Don't see them very often...maybe when I go to one of those "mens clubs"... My wife refuses to wear anything quite that extreme. Unfortunate for me... She has VERY NICE LEGS and shoes like that would just up the ante even more! She says she would fall off of them... she probably would! Then I would feel REALLY bad!

Funny enough I am not that much of a fan of the point high heel look. I kind of like my women in doc martins.

They also mark the floor less ;)

The Primaluna Prologue 3 is a wonderful pre, Can't wait to get the amps.

It sure is a nice pre - it seems we have a similar system in may ways, although your speakers have the benefit of a dedicated room.

I have wondered about a valve power amp but in am afraid they would not provide enough power.

Funny enough I am not that much of a fan of the point high heel look. I kind of like my women in doc martins.

They also mark the floor less ;)

To each his own! Frankly I just like women...I prefer that they have nice legs too. Always been a leg man and heels accentuate that for sure! :D

Oh, I was thinking about the psi numbers and you were wrong it is not 400 psi, it is 1600 psi! There are 16 little .25" x .25" squares in a 1" X 1" square, not 4. Common easy to make mistake. 400# would not be enough to break a bone anyway unless it was a lucky hit in JUST THE RIGHT place! Joey, might can address the strength of various bones in the human body! :D

Looks good Frank ! Now take the new photos/description and update page "one" of your system with them.

Yet another system upgrade.

Replaced, CD Player, Amplification (pre and power) and Speaker Cables.

Details on front post.

updated Photos will be forthcoming once I finish rearranging the equipment (including tidying up the cables.)

Howdy fellow Aeon owner. :D Wonderful system you have there. The CJ should sound real nice, all warmed over. My friend has an all CJ system driving ProAcs and it sounds really nice in his large home.

I'm still trying to get a good sense of the ML sound with the Cary tube amp but I get the impression that my bottom end is a little "loose". But then again, it could always be something else in the chain. :rolleyes:

Back