System #107 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Dirk Bakker, Huntington Woods, Michigan
Summits with Descent bought in 2006
Aesthetix Io Signature phono preamp with dual power supplies
Audio Research RefII MarkII preamp
Audio Research V140 monoblocks
Sota Star Sapphire turntable, motor upgraded to Cosmos
Eminent Technology II air-pressure-bearing linear tracking tonearm
ZYX Airy3 S low output phonocartridge
Proprietary solid copper interconnects, speakerwire, powercords with FIM connectors, all cryogenically treated
Dedicated all copper power service, box cryoed, with copper ground rods, separate from all other electrical service to the house
Clearaudio record cleaning machine

I have owned MLs for 25 years starting with the Sequel and two months ago replaced my Prodigys with Summits. As you can see in the pictures, the room is quite tall and opens up to both sides into other spaces. Placements was a big struggle, I almost gave up a week ago and contemplated reversing my purchase. Then I pulled the Summits another 6 inches towards the listener, clearing the sidewalls altogether and I was rewarded with a complete transformation of balance and the ability of the speakers to float aural images in front and rear, seemingly unattached to the screens.

The room is built over another equal size 10 ft high room and I have always placed my speakers on the feet that you can see in picture 2ch4. They are spring loaded double disc sandwiches that completely uncouple the speaker from the cavity below the wooden floor. This allows them to sing without the whole floor singing along.

Although the system contains a 12 year old CD player, I only sit down to listen to LP's, realizing years ago that I was never really swept away by CD's and even found it hard to sit through a single symphony without wandering off.
I know that this does limits one's ability to listen to new reportoire, but I found that with collectable records being traded mostly on the net, I still find amazing gems especially from the former eastblock countries. Great performances in luminous recordings from Russia, Hungary etc., more than I often have time to listen to.

Anyhow the Summits will stay and I will probably now find another pair to use in my 5:1 system.

Attachments

• 2ch1.jpg
    2ch1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,427
  • 2ch2.jpg
    2ch2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,235
  • 2ch3.jpg
    2ch3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,188
  • 2ch4.jpg
    2ch4.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,135
  • 2ch5.jpg
    2ch5.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,142
Last edited:
Nice setup. I can see how that room would be a bit problematic, given the hard fireplace and the walkthrough. I see that you have a good collection of albums to draw from. I also like your assorted artwork. I've always been a fan of contemporary style, in both art and architecture. From the shelf to the left of the opening, it looks like you collect jars.

Is the first picture taken from your listening position? I know that lens effects can tend to exaggerate perspective on pictures like this, but this viewpoint seems rather far back from the plane of the speakers.

Congrats for your setup !

What a wonderful combination of well-chosen equipment ! :cool:

Happy listening, Dirk !

Glad to see another Michigan system.

Beautifull set up. I recognize/remember your photo from your Prodigy audiogon ad.

If I'm not mistaken, your located in Huntington Woods. I used to live on Sherwood about 10 or so years ago. I miss that area.

Distance to wall

Zip3kx07 said:
Very Nice system.

What is the distance from the back of the summit's bass box to your rear wall?
It is now 8 ft and anything closer to the wall did not work at all. They are now nearly midway to the main listening position. I thought that bringing them this close might lose center fill but quite the opposite happened. Bringing them this close to the listening position freed thesound from the speaker altogether.

Kruppy said:
Glad to see another Michigan system.

Beautifull set up. I recognize/remember your photo from your Prodigy audiogon ad.

If I'm not mistaken, your located in Huntington Woods. I used to live on Sherwood about 10 or so years ago. I miss that area.

You have a good memory, or spend too much time on line. You are right, I am in the Woods opposite the zoo with lemers as neighbours. Believe me, you can't wish for more accomodating neighbours, no complaints even when Die Walkure rides in at full volume.

SteveInNC said:
Nice setup. I can see how that room would be a bit problematic, given the hard fireplace and the walkthrough. I see that you have a good collection of albums to draw from. I also like your assorted artwork. I've always been a fan of contemporary style, in both art and architecture. From the shelf to the left of the opening, it looks like you collect jars.

Is the first picture taken from your listening position? I know that lens effects can tend to exaggerate perspective on pictures like this, but this viewpoint seems rather far back from the plane of the speakers.

It is from right behind the listening position and taken with a wide angle so it will visually exaggerate apparent distance. They are indeed jars or rather vases, mostly turn of the century (20th) American ceramics Rockwood, Pewabic and others. My wife collects those, I only collect records.

You have a good memory, or spend too much time on line. You are right, I am in the Woods opposite the zoo with lemers as neighbours. Believe me, you can't wish for more accomodating neighbours, no complaints even when Die Walkure rides in at full volume.

Yup, too much time on line..... :)

As long as your not near the elephants and I think the camels. I'm sure you know better than I do, that place can stink during the hot days of the summer. :eek:

Kruppy said:
Yup, too much time on line..... :)

As long as your not near the elephants and I think the camels. I'm sure you know better than I do, that place can stink during the hot days of the summer. :eek:

Camels are 2 blocks away and the zoo moved the elephants last year out of the collection into a pachyderm retirement facility in California. It does attract great numbers of birds even peacocks landing on my lawn and now that spring is here more walkers and runners than wheeled traffic.

Thanks Kaliar, I appreciate your logo. I have always liked Gregorio Panaqua. I believe that record was engineered by Jean Paul Pontefrat, one of the greatest recording engineers ever, working during the best times in analog recording history. Have you heard "La Spagna" as well?

Ahh, very, very nice analog/tube system!

Cool home as well! Looks like it belongs in the pages of Dwell magazine.

Wonderful Vinyl Musically Tubed Summit System...

Dirk,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Awesome music room! Fantastic tubed Summit system. I love your collection of Vinyl. You say you have another HT 5.1 system in your home, Wow! If it's anything like your Music listening room, it must be marvalous indeed... :D
I would encourage you to post that system as well.
How do you like your Audio Reseach electronics? I have been lusting after AR's Tubed pre-amp's and Tubed Monoblocks for a while now. I love your collection of art on the walls of your room, as well.

Excellent system. :D

Although the system contains a 12 year CD player, I only sit down to listen to LP's, realizing years ago that I was never really swept away by CD's and even found it hard to sit through a single symphony without wandering off.
I know that this does limits one's ability to listen to new reportoire,.

I think if you audition a cd player equal to the value of your turntable and phonostage you may be pleasantly surprised. CD playback has come a long way in the last five years let alone the last twelve.

Love your system - I suspect it grabs your attention with the beautiful music.

Kevin

kwr said:
I think if you audition a cd player equal to the value of your turntable and phonostage you may be pleasantly surprised. CD playback has come a long way in the last five years let alone the last twelve.

Love your system - I suspect it grabs your attention with the beautiful music.

Kevin
I have stayed abreast of what is out there and even bought the Italian Lector player with tube output last year. It was nice with a very smooth and natural tone but in the same way as with all digital presentation could put you in the concert hall but not quite describe the hall and the presence of the player as well as the audience in it. With great vinyl play back I am often able to hear people walking in corridors outside of the recording venue as well as traffic and in the case of many London made Deccas, the subway. All of course way deep in there. I sold the Lector a month later when I realised I only played it when having dinner.

I recently also had a Denon 5910, APL modified player in my system. Alex Peychev who does these mods, in essence keeps only the box of the player and the transport and replaces everything else, the power supply, the clock, the chips and builds in a tube analog output stage.
It was as refined a digital source I have ever heard but still couldn't reproduce the limitless tonal palette of analog.

I have heard some fine SACDs, but there is hardly any repetoire to speak of and it does not look like there is going to be much more coming.

I know that I do miss out on many great new recordings but I buy vinyl continuously on line as well as by visiting used record stores all over. I have many "new" (used) records I have not gotten to. It has become sort of an interesting hunt.

Robin said:
You say you have another HT 5.1 system in your home, Wow! If it's anything like your Music listening room, it must be marvalous indeed... :D
I would encourage you to post that system as well.
How do you like your Audio Reseach electronics? I have been lusting after AR's Tubed pre-amp's and Tubed Monoblocks for a while now. I love your collection of art on the walls of your room, as well.

Excellent system. :D
Thanks Robin. I may just do that, now that it does have a ML component in it. I moved the Descent sub into the HT system recently. See my posting in the Main Discussion Forum under "Summit with Descent in 2-channel". The other speakers in the HT are by Usher, but after trying the Summits I am afraid that sometime in the future I will have to make the whole front ML. Probably when they will finally get the new center channel on the market.

I really can recommend Audio Research equipment and never had a piece brake down since I first bought an SP10 preamp in 1980. Beautifully spatial and neutral without obvious tube tubbiness.

The key in the system, is the Aesthetix Io Reference though. It has a separate powersupply for each channel, all tube regulated and together with the preamp uses 26 tubes. It takes control of the signal like no other amp, right where it all starts at the smallest signal level (0.25MV from the ZYX).
It has such a grip on the signal that it almost does not matter what comes after. In my mind it is the finest amplication device of any kind on the market today. I know that this is saying a lot but the damn thing often leaves me breathless.

Anyhow, thanks for your kind words, I'll see if I can post the HT in the next week or so.

Dirk

Last edited:
I like the looks of your room and your speakers. Very elegant and classy.

You are obviously an art enthusiast, and the Logans really augment your visual style/taste.

You have a nice space to let your speakers "open up." Very nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back