System #103 (Ascent i, Theater i, Fresco)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DJE55

Derrick Mabe
Darnestown, Maryland USA

Main Theater:
Fronts: Ascent i's purchased in 2003
Center Channel: Theater i purchased in 2005
Surrounds: Fresco's purchased in 2006
Sub: Velodyne DD15
All speakers are stock form with exception of rear Fresco's are painted black
The Ascent i's are bi-wired to the Sunfire's current and voltage source feeding them with 800watts of power!

Other Equipment:
Projector: Sony Ceniza VPL-HS51
Screen: 100" Stewart Luxus Deluxe Grayhawk
Preamp: Sunfire Theater Grand IV
Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Series (400x7)
DVD: Pioneer Elite DV-59avi
Power: Monster Power HTS5100 MKII
Gaming: XBOX 360 and PS2
Remote: MX3000

Second Theater/System:
Fronts: Fresco's Purchased in 2006
Center: Fresco Purchased in 2006
Surrounds: Fresco's Purchased in 2006
Sub: Sunfire True Sub Signature
Fresco's are paited black to match Pioneer Plasma

Other Equipment:
Plasma: 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma HD1130
Pre/Pro: Yamaha RX-V1
DVD: Sony DVP-CX995V
Power: Monster Power HTS5100 MKII
Gaming: XBOX 360
Remote: MX3000

Both systems equipment is mounted on a 19"x84" Chatsworth Data Rack

I use to be a big B&W fan. When I went to upgrade my CDM9's to the 803's, I saw a pair of Ascent's. I had listened to some earlier ML's and just didn't think (for the money) that they sounded full enough for me at the time. After listening to the 803's I asked if I could hear the ML's just for kicks. I fell in love with these speakers at that moment. I could have stayed in that listening room all day. I've been hooked ever since.

I have recently moved and I'm in the middle of setting up the TV rooms in the house. So far nothing is finished but I'm posting a couple of progess pictures and I'll follow them up with the finished product as soon as I can. All of the equipment is in a closet in my basement. I have a couple of MRF-300's that work with my MX3000 remotes.

Attachments

• DSC00470.jpg
    DSC00470.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:
Second System

This is the Pioneer Plasma with the Fresco's.

Attachments

• DSC00473.jpg
    DSC00473.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 905
Nice set up all around Derrick.

I've been eyeing the Pioneer as well and have pretty much settled on it. And how about the Fresco's, are you happy with them?

Lastly, how about the plasma, any trouble with it or is it as good as I seem to think? My only concern so far is the glare on the screen whereas a LCD won't have that?

I love the Pioneer Plasma. The blacks are so much deeper and darker than my Sony XBR. It wasn't even close. As for the glare, it's not that bad. My Sony XBR had more of a problem with this than my plasma. The picture you see is in the middle of the afternoon (direct sun light through the doors) with the curtains open. I have a window in front of the tv (behind where I took the picture) and to the right, I have a wall of glass. It's a set of double sliders that are about 12' wide and 10' tall. I do have blinds on the top half of the doors. As you can see, with the worst posible senario for glare, it shows some but not that bad. With the blinds closed its not a problem.

how do you like the dd15? i am looking for a sub, but not sure which one. i heard the dd10 at a dealer (on a concrete floor), and was way underwhelmed. pretty tight, but bass was seriously lacking.

I haven't had the DD hooked up in this house yet. I love the sub though. I haven't heard anything for the money that compares. I would tell you to go listen to the bigger subs in the DD series before judging them based off the DD10. That's their smallest sub in the group. I originally was going to buy the 18 but, the 15 was way more sub than I'll ever use.

Wow Derrick I am completely jealous of your main system. Gorgeous looking room, congratulations.
:)

dobyblue said:
Wow Derrick I am completely jealous of your main system. Gorgeous looking room, congratulations.
:)

Thank you very much. It's not where near done but, I'll post up more pictures when the projector and new furniture are in.

Wow! Two Incredible Systems...

Derrick,

Your Ascent i's and Theater i's system looks incredible with the front projection. I love the color scheme of your HT room it looks as awesome as it must sound. :D Great photos of your Ascents i's, Theater and you second Fresco system as well. I like the stone work behind Plasma monitor in addition to the stone fireplace of your Ascent HT system.

Both are beautiful ML systems you're put together... ;) Thank you for sharing.

I think your wife will love the Summits, she has to trust me on this... :D

Back