System #102 (Aerius i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webinattor

Reaction score
mlroom.jpg

Mike Rhodes
Muncie, IN
USA

Aerius I

I tried to “stitch” together this photo so you could see how I’ve used the room with the Logans. Didn’t do a very good job with the photo, but you get the picture.
I have wanted to post my system for some time. The logans were purchased new in 2000.

Outside of the Logans, I have:
A. The Sanyo digital projector which we use for all TV/DVD watching. When I don’t want to run it (bulbs are very expensive) I have that little ugly white TV running just to keep up with the news.
B. I have built the M&K V-75 MK-II subwoofer into the fireplace cavity where “wood” used to be stored. Did that after we converted the fireplace to natural gas.
C. My diapole surrounds on the sides are called “Balconys” and were made by MB Quart

The center channel speaker is a Polk Audio CLS-350. It is not made anymore, but the tweeter is very fast, so its not a bad match to the logans.

The rest of my electronics are:

Yamaha RX-V995 digital receiver 240 watts 2ohms
Mitsubishi HS-U760 SVHS deck
Yamaha DVD-S796 dvd player
Denon DRM-740 3 head cassette deck
Monster Cable Interconnects
Monster Cable Speaker leads for biwiring
Phillips Pronto Remote Control System
X-10 lighting controllers

I don’t like wires laying around, so I’ve pulled wires through the attic (on a slab) for all my wires. The projector was the hardest to do, because it used a SVHS cable. I made the SVHS cable out of a pair of RG6 cables. The subwoofer run uses RG6, too.

I have two can lights behind the logans on a dimmer. (See post in Tweaks section.)

I still really like the sound of my system. I vaccum the panels quite a bit, for maintenance. A bit scared to do the washing, but I might one of these days.

My parents live close to Lawrence, KS, so when visiting them once, I toured the Martin Logan plant. Was a wonderful opportunity and experience.

Nice setup!

Just curious, how far apart are your Aerius' and how far is your listening position? Also, do you have a CD player, or just play CD's on your Yamaha player? Any plans to upgrade to a separate power amp?

I used to drive MY Aerius i's with a Yamaha RX-V1000, then an Adcom 545II, now the Sunfire. My Aerius' have sounded sweeter with each upgrade. Unlike most audiophiles though, I take a painfully slow time to upgrade (only 3 amps in 6 yrs <g>).

MarkNewbie said:
Nice looking set up! Great to see another Indiana member too!

:cool:

Same from another Hoosier! And I went to BSU and my sister and brother in law still live in Muncie and they are hard core ML/Krell fans! Really nice setup
:)

Sleepysurf...

I'm 10 feet away on the couch and the speakers are 10 feet apart. Not planning on upgrading anything...I'm happy/content with what I have. Ok, would like to upgrade the DVD player.... :)

attyonline said:
Same from another Hoosier! And I went to BSU and my sister and brother in law still live in Muncie and they are hard core ML/Krell fans! Really nice setup
:)

I'm a BSU grad, too. I guess you are an attorney? What kind of law do you practice?

Great looking room and setup. Looks like a very comfortable place to enjoy some tunes or a good movie. Do you have a screen or do you project directly on the wall? The image looks very good.

Happy Listening/Watching!

MiTT said:
Great looking room and setup. Looks like a very comfortable place to enjoy some tunes or a good movie. Do you have a screen or do you project directly on the wall? The image looks very good.

Happy Listening/Watching!

Thanks! No, don't have a screen. Just a wall. I photoshoped the Nemo image into the photo...HOWEVER, I took the image from an actual Nemo image I shot of the screen area one day. So, that's ok, right?

Unretouched home theater pix

Webinattor said:
Thanks! No, don't have a screen. Just a wall. I photoshoped the Nemo image into the photo...HOWEVER, I took the image from an actual Nemo image I shot of the screen area one day. So, that's ok, right?

Unretouched home theater pix
Well sure it is, that's just good marketing!

So I went out and looked at your photo link and it occured to me that I know you from a previous forum - the Audiworld forum. I used to be MiTT on the TT forum over there. Sold my TT last year :( so that the wife and I could build a new house :D , so I don't get over there too often anymore. I'm content in the new house with the stereo in a more dedicated space. Everytime I see a TT though I shead a quiet tear...

Here was mine...

Attachments

• timstt_at_bells.jpg
    timstt_at_bells.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,081
Last edited:
MiTT said:
Well sure it is, that's just good marketing!

So I went out and looked at your photo link and it occured to me that I know you from a previous forum - the Audiworld forum. I used to be MiTT on the TT forum over there. Sold my TT last year :( so that the wife and I could build a new house :D , so I don't get over there too often anymore. I'm content in the new house with the stereo in a more dedicated space. Everytime I see a TT though I shed a quiet tear...

Here was mine...

Ha! That's funny we are BOTH still keeping our TT monikers! We sold our Denim Blue one, too. Was a wonderful automobile. We went to a few of the TT events...still have the official posters in the garage.

You Colorado people have such a beautiful locale to drive your cars. I still like to look at SXSMITH's (sp) photographs. Tried to get a job out there, but it didn't work out. Would love to live in Colorado some day.

I looked at your system, too, and can only imagine the wonderful open sound those have with such large electrostatic panels. Woot! (or WooTT!) ;)

Webinattor said:
Ha! That's funny we are BOTH still keeping our TT monikers! We sold our Denim Blue one, too. Was a wonderful automobile. We went to a few of the TT events...still have the official posters in the garage.

You Colorado people have such a beautiful locale to drive your cars. I still like to look at SXSMITH's (sp) photographs. Tried to get a job out there, but it didn't work out. Would love to live in Colorado some day.

I looked at your system, too, and can only imagine the wonderful open sound those have with such large electrostatic panels. Woot! (or WooTT!) ;)
Such a small world! I actually started the Colorado TT club that Scott (SXSMITH) has taken hold of and turned into quite a group - 52 members now! I also went to two of the TT West events and really do miss the car. I only sold it so that we could build our new home, and have some extra pocket money for LP's and Hi-Fi equipment!

What do you do for a living? I'm the Director of Product Development for my company and have a fair amount of local contacts outside of this company as well...

WOW looks like Audi drivers also own MLs. I drive an audi A6 4.2L. I will be getting a TT 3.2L this summer or a Jaguar Xk8 / XkR.

Last edited:
Webinattor said:
I'm a BSU grad, too. I guess you are an attorney? What kind of law do you practice?
Little of this, a little of that! :) Really like your projector. Thinking about going that way myself for tv and movies. Any idea of how long a bulb life you can expect with your projector?

attyonline said:
Little of this, a little of that! :) Really like your projector. Thinking about going that way myself for tv and movies. Any idea of how long a bulb life you can expect with your projector?

I get about 2000 hours. Mine doesn't get the longest bulb time, but it had a long throw lens which I needed for the room.

attyonline said:

Hi,
I have a Panasonic AE-700 (new version is now the 900), and my first bulb went for 2538 hours, the second now has about 600 on it, and is going strong.

As long as you can control the lighting of the room, once you experience a projected 100+ inch screen in HD, you'll never go back to a 'box' TV again...:)

Peter

Beautiful Aerius System...

Mike,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Wonderful System! :D Your HT room looks huge. Very open spaces and open vaulted ceiling. How are your HT room acqustics?

Your system looks very cool. Great for entertaining I bet. :D

Ha. Thank you for the nice comments. The room is not really huge...about 32 feet from front to back wall. I think the sound is great!

Webinattor said:
Ha. Thank you for the nice comments. The room is not really huge...about 32 feet from front to back wall.
Yeah just a nice sized bedroom....32 ft...must be nice...That is twice the length of my current room...

Dan

I could be wrong. I just "guessed" the distance. I couldn't find my handy-dandy wall-to-wall Radio Shack digital distance clicker, measuring thing. :)

Back