System #100 (Script)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PinePoint

Here's my reponses for posting my new setup!

1. Name: Dave TenClay
2. Location: Sartell, MN, NW of the Twin Cities
3. Model: (2) ML Script
4. Year purchased: 2006
5. Mods/Changes: Nothing on the speakers, extended the mounts off the wall.
6. Associated Electronics: Denon AVR2500 (for now), AR turntable, Denon 2910 DVD player, Monster 12 gauge cable, Paradigm PDR-8 sub.
7. Comments on experience: 8 x 12 room very challenging to get the right sound. Auditioned 6 other speaker pairs (all boxes) before deciding on Scripts. When mounted on wall, sound spread out very wide but depth collapsed. Tested speakers on makeshift stands out 12 - 16", good depth but not taking advantage of ported (out the bottom) design of Script. Juryrigged extended wall mount for best solution overall. Rotel amp(s) being sought to add depth and warm up sound per helpful recommendations from this great site!
8. Images of system: See attached!

Attachments

• ml1.JPG
    ml1.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 953
  • ml5.JPG
    ml5.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 852
  • ml4.JPG
    ml4.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 819
Dave, Interesting looking system you have here, and a novel approach to speaker placement ! A creative mind at work, you must be .....cause you are still spinning LP's !! Good Man ! What is your favorite alblum(s) ??

Last edited:
Dave,

Congratulations to you for being our 100th member system.

Thats a very creative system you go there, I like the way you brought the scripts out from the wall.

Zip3kx07 said:
Dave,

Congratulations to you for being our 100th member system.

Thats a very creative system you go there, I like the way you brought the scripts out from the wall.
Yes, congratulations...

I like the way the Scripts seem to "hover".

Nice system! I like the placement and the little sub in the middle. Nice music collection too!

Congrats on being Mr. 100!

Thanks for the responses! What I now realize I did not mention is that the sound is very good considering the "average" electronics. I am fortunate to have a second system in another location that I've had in play for 8 years which includes Aerius i's, Rotel, etc. Will post soon...

Twitch, as for favorite records....I've built up a collection of 2,000+ but I'll share a few that seem to get repeated play...

- Rossini Overtures / Reiner CSO / original shaded dog, 4S (stamper)
- Scary good sonics, hall sound, powerful readings

- Mahler #2 Super Analogue disc from Japan

- Anything from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab but especially Swan Lake / BSO / Leinsdorf

I'll add more in the favorites page.....so many tunes....so little time...

I have a suggestion for the webmaster! Try a poll on the average nuber of hours our members get with their systems; backgorund, dedicated, etc!

Beautiful Script i system...

Dave,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Wonderful Script system! Your system seems very intimate, as well as listener friendly... :D What do you have for seating in your listening room? Additionally what Rotel gear are you looking to add?

It is good to have you here... :D

System Updates

After lots of research I decided to try out the Jolida JD-1506RC Hybrid integrated amp. This is the one with the tube pre-amp and solid state amp section. After 50+ hours of listening I believe I've found a very good solution. The sizzle and tizzy edge, and "beaming" effect on trumpets and other sharper tones has softened just enough. The midrange has expanded in both width and depth and the lower registers are much more defined and tight.

I've also added a Bellari tube phono pre-amp to go with the Rega Planer table AND.....a Teac A-4010 GSL Reel to Reel !! Not the first choice for high resolution but adds a reasonable amount of value to the cool and fun factor.

As far as seating we are going to go with a Salamander two position duo recliner seat (without the middle armrest). This will fit in just right.

Great gear, Excellent choices...

PinePoint said:
After lots of research I decided to try out the Jolida JD-1506RC Hybrid integrated amp. This is the one with the tube pre-amp and solid state amp section. After 50+ hours of listening I believe I've found a very good solution. The sizzle and tizzy edge, and "beaming" effect on trumpets and other sharper tones has softened just enough. The midrange has expanded in both width and depth and the lower registers are much more defined and tight.

I've also added a Bellari tube phono pre-amp to go with the Rega Planer table AND.....a Teac A-4010 GSL Reel to Reel !! Not the first choice for high resolution but adds a reasonable amount of value to the cool and fun factor.

As far as seating we are going to go with a Salamander two position duo recliner seat (without the middle armrest). This will fit in just right.
PinePoint,

Your system keeps getting better and better.... :D I like your choice for seating as well. When you have everything set-up, up-dated photo's of your system would be great. :)

Revision of System #100...for now...Aerius i

A year or so ago I was granted permission to move the listening room, or what it is now called..."the refuge"....to a larger room, further away from the center of the home, and as a plus, on a heated pad as opposed to the previous over basement location. This is the room where I get lost in the music. It is built around a pair of Aerius i's we purchased over 12 years ago. These replaced the Script i's that did well in the smaller room, but found a good home with ML member "wink". This remains a 2 channel setup, which given the still small room size is plenty good even for DVD's. These are played through the Denon AVR 2900 at the bottom of the rack. The middle unit is a fantastic sounding Sony XA9000ES SACD player. The Jolida is a 1501RC hybrid (tube pre / ss amp) with the parts connection level 2 mod. I've tried many other amps (Cary SLI-80 Sig F1, Simaudio I 5.3, etc) and always come back to this unit. I'm convinced that at least for this setup, the tubes soften and open up the details perfectly while the ss end delivers a nice solid punch and holds the bottom reasnably well. Had a sub....still haul it out on occasion for organ / rock nights... The VPI Ares 2 / HPW 12.5 / Dynavector turntable is the culmination of 6 previous tables over the last twenty years. With over 2000 LP's, it's hard to let go of, although the better SACD's match up and occasionally will beat the best lp's...at least on this setup. The table feeds a Moon phono pre on it's way to the Jolida. I'm happy for now, but am getting the itch to try out one of the new or newer ML's such as the Vista/Vantage, or maybe the new Theos....mmmmmm.....:)

Attachments

• Refuge 1.jpg
    Refuge 1.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Refuge 2.jpg
    Refuge 2.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Refuge 3.jpg
    Refuge 3.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 320
  • Refuge 4.jpg
    Refuge 4.jpg