System #10 (Ascent, Theater, Script, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did sample one sequence from Batman Begins playing the Dolby TrueHD track, and it TOTALLY knocked my socks off!!

Seth,

How is that? I was under the impression that ONLY HDMI 1.3 would support Dolby TrueHD and I didn't think there were any 1.3 HDMI players and/or receivers out there yet on the consumer market??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Seth,

How is that? I was under the impression that ONLY HDMI 1.3 would support Dolby TrueHD and I didn't think there were any 1.3 HDMI players and/or receivers out there yet on the consumer market??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Actually the analog 5.1 outs on the Toshiba XA1 and XA2 will pass the TrueHD track which is decoded by the player. So if a receiver or pre/pro has multi channel inputs (which most now do), one can listen to Dolby TrueHD in all its high resolution glory.

On a side note, my Toshiba HD-XA2 is indeed HDMI 1.3 equipped. I just can't use that connection method right now as my Sunfire TGIII doesn't have HDMI 1.3 (or any HDMI ins for that matter). But at some point if or when I decide to upgrade to another pre/pro that does have HDMI 1.3, then I will definitely be able to use it. But for now I am totally happy with the sound of TrueHD via the 5.1 multichannel outs :).

Actually the analog 5.1 outs on the Toshiba XA1 and XA2 will pass the TrueHD track which is decoded by the player. So if a receiver or pre/pro has multi channel inputs (which most now do), one can listen to Dolby TrueHD in all its high resolution glory.

On a side note, my Toshiba HD-XA2 is indeed HDMI 1.3 equipped. I just can't use that connection method right now as my Sunfire TGIII doesn't have HDMI 1.3 (or any HDMI ins for that matter). But at some point if or when I decide to upgrade to another pre/pro that does have HDMI 1.3, then I will definitely be able to use it. But for now I am totally happy with the sound of TrueHD via the 5.1 multichannel outs :).

AH! I didn't realize that the TrueHD would pass through the analog outs! VERY NICE! What that tells me is that AS LONG as the consumer can KEEP the companies from limiting the output resolution on the component outs there is little or no need (other than to clean up the cable mess out back) to go with HDMI AT ALL! I hope that continues or at the very least that an HD-DVD/BRD player combination comes out BEFORE they start limiting the component outputs to something other than 1080!

I also did not realize that anything was yet shipping w/ HDMI 1.3. Good to know. Do any receiver or Pre/Pro's have 1.3 yet?

Thanks the update Seth!

Hi Joe,

Couldn't help myself and went and got Batman Begins and Corpse Bride on HD DVD. I haven't had a chance to watch them yet but I'm sure I'm in for quite a treat! :D I did sample one sequence from Batman Begins playing the Dolby TrueHD track, and it TOTALLY knocked my socks off!! I can't wait to actually see the whole movie. Thanks for letting me know just how amazing these HD titles are.

Seth

Your welcome Seth,

The bat-mobile scene really shows off the audio and video for what it is...Awesome.

Mission Impossible 3 is another good one.

Let me know what you yhink of BatMan after you get to watch it all the way threw.

AH! I didn't realize that the TrueHD would pass through the analog outs! VERY NICE! What that tells me is that AS LONG as the consumer can KEEP the companies from limiting the output resolution on the component outs there is little or no need (other than to clean up the cable mess out back) to go with HDMI AT ALL! I hope that continues or at the very least that an HD-DVD/BRD player combination comes out BEFORE they start limiting the component outputs to something other than 1080!

I also did not realize that anything was yet shipping w/ HDMI 1.3. Good to know. Do any receiver or Pre/Pro's have 1.3 yet?

Thanks the update Seth!

Yep,

Seth is right, you can pass a processed Dolby True HD over analog inputs to your pre-amp. You can also pass a processed PCM single over HDMI 1.1 or 1.2. HDMI 1.3 lets you pass an unprocessed Dolby True HD single to your pre-amp with decoders for processing. Also I don't think you can pass a 1080P single over component video only HDMI. You can pass a 1080i but "P" component video is not supported by 99% of the HDTV's out their.

You can pass a 1080i but "P" component video is not supported by 99% of the HDTV's out their.

I knew about the 1.1 and 1.2 HDMI.

I also forgot that the 1080p (which is why I just put 1080...with no letter, or at least I that is what I meant to do) was not supported through component, though if you TV deinterlaces better and scales better than the player it is better to output the i signal anyway, but in the case of component video out you don't even have the choice...

Thanks for the update and reminders...

Thanks the update Seth!

Yes it is good for the consumer that Dolby TrueHD is available over the analog outs. And you're right, as long as the studios don't decide to implement the ICT(Image Constraint Token), everyone should be happy for some time.

HDMI 1.3 is very rare right now and the only HD players that have it is Toshiba's HD-XA2 HD DVD player and Sony's Playstation 3 console. And as far as any currently available receiver or pre/pro having HDMI 1.3 inputs, I only know of one, Sherwood Newcastle's R-972 Receiver. As far as pre/pro's go I don't think there are any right now that have it. I do know that Monster Power had one in the works that not only does HDMI 1.3 but also has all the new surround formats as well (TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio) and is supposed to be up there with the likes of Lexicon, Classe' etc. Although no price and release date has been given.

And Denon, long known for their hefty receivers with everything but the kitchen sink decoding, seems to have a pre/pro amp combo coming that offers Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD plus HDMI 1.3.

avp2.jpg

Your welcome Seth,

The bat-mobile scene really shows off the audio and video for what it is...Awesome.

Mission Impossible 3 is another good one.

Let me know what you yhink of BatMan after you get to watch it all the way threw.

Got a chance to watch Batman Begins after the Superbowl, and it was every bit as great as I was hoping it would be :). The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack was awesome!! And you're right, the chase scene with the Batmobile was friggin' amazing! The soundfield is expansive and bass has to be some of the lowest and most powerful I have heard. A truly top notch experience :D I forgot to mention, the PQ on Batman Begins is phenomenal! Yes I have heard that MI:III is a mind blower, and I might see about getting that one as well. Also can't wait to see Corpse Bride.

Yep,

Also I don't think you can pass a 1080P single over component video only HDMI. You can pass a 1080i but "P" component video is not supported by 99% of the HDTV's out their.

I know that you can pass a 1080p signal over component because my XBox 360 is hooked up to my Samsung HL-S6187W via component and it passes 1080p just fine. Maybe you are referring to film content only (which cannot be transmitted at 1080p via component....not because of the limitations of component cable, but because of AACS restrictions).

Last edited:
xbox 360 is emulated 1080p kinda like most sets on the market. component does not have the bandwith for tru 1080p.thats why we have hdmi.

Corpse Bribe is awesome!

It was shot with digital cameras and truly gives you the impression that the puppets are inside your TV. The living world is done in a monochromatic tone and the land of the dead in full color that is so bright and contrasty you will be in awe.

I have Batman Begins on DVD and it was suppose to be a launch title with the Toshiba player last year but Warner Brothers pulled it back at the last minute. It took almost 6 months to finally get released, but was well worth the wait. I am a BIG Batman fan and there is no other way to enjoy the killer audio and video of Batman Begins then on HD DVD. It was the reason why I wanted to get a Toshiba HD-A1 and it did not disappoint.

I too thought 'Corpse Bride' was an excellent HD-DVD... *really* shows off the investment in HT gear... I watched 'Serenity' last night (after the Super Boring Bowl) and was not as impressed... sure it was a little better than the DVD... but did NOT pop like 'Batman Returns' or 'Corpse Bride'

STV... I have the Sunfire TGIII receiver and Toshiba HD-AX2... which has 2 HDMI ins... but it doesn't decode audio over HDMI... so while I have video going in/out of the Sunfire over HDMI... the audio comes in over digital coax... I'm hoping for a 'software' fix for this... but haven't seen anything.

xbox 360 is emulated 1080p kinda like most sets on the market. component does not have the bandwith for tru 1080p.thats why we have hdmi.

I'd love to know who sold you that line of BS. :eek: Do you have any links to creditable sources that would validate this statement of yours? I can name several source components that that either output 1080p via component and several displays that accept 1080p via component.

Last edited:
I know that you can pass a 1080p signal over component because my XBox 360 is hooked up to my Samsung HL-S6187W via component and it passes 1080p just fine. Maybe you are referring to film content only (which cannot be transmitted at 1080p via component....not because of the limitations of component cable, but because of AACS restrictions).

To clarify what I was saying... YES! you can physically pass 1080p over component video as long as your TV can accept it, but about 99% of the TV's out their don't. Or until the ICT on HD DVD and Blu-Ray is turned on.

New info and photos added to post one.

I have overhauled the system over the last month and have been very happy with the results. I'm still not done with it, I am still moving stuff around and tweaking with it. My next project is a custom video screen and after that will be working on the acoustics of the room and running the Audyssey setup on the Marantz again.

Congraulations on a nice system. As far as the Toshiba goes, due you plan to keep it? Now that Blu-Ray is king?

Latest posts

Back