System #10 (Ascent, Theater, Script, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change Can Be A Good Thing...

Zip3kx07 said:
Thank You Dolfin,

I really love my system and am paining my next changes. I don’t think too much will stay the same from what you see when I get done, so stay tuned. :D
Joe,

Change / positive additions are a very good thing. So on that note,
please remember to post your new Sony front projector, with photo's when you get the chance ASAP after your projector is all set-up. I am excited to see how your new front projector will harmonize & look in your fantastic HT... :D

Your Coming up on a milestone...

Joe,

Your system Rocks... :D
I hope you know this... Well, in case you are not aware of this statestical factoid, your system is the most viewed of all member systems. Your system is fast approaching 10,000 views of folks having visited #10 and taken a look at your beautiful system. I just think that is so great, because your system is very cool. :D :p :D

Robin said:
Joe,

Your system Rocks... :D
I hope you know this... Well, in case you are not aware of this statestical factoid, your system is the most viewed of all member systems. Your system is fast approaching 10,000 views of folks having visited #10 and taken a look at your beautiful system. I just think that is so great, because your system is very cool. :p :D
Thank you for the kind comments as always Robin. :D

My system has changed so much from the photos posted you wouldn’t recognize it now. I have been holding off updating my main system photo because I don’t think I have the system to point yet to show it off, I love that main photo so much I want to do it justice when I replace it.

I have made many changes and have many more planed throughout the rest of the year. I have been dying to replace my Sunfire amp with something else, and was ready to do it at the end of this month or early July. But as you may, or may not know, I sold my Scripts back in September of last year (using my backup Polk towers in place of the scripts) because I could not mount then to the walls in my new room. I sold them in hopes to getting a set of floor standing Logans that could offer more flexibility in placement. My local Tweeter has a set of ML Aeon i’s for $1976.95, as much as I would like to loose the Sunfire I would love to get the Aeons. So now I am not sure what to do. If I can come up with the money before they are sold, I think I will go for the Aeons and do the amp after that.

We will see.

So many components so little time and money. But that’s part of the fun. Change.

Take care,

Aeon i's would be very cool...

Zip3kx07 said:
I have made many changes and have many more planed throughout the rest of the year. I have been dying to replace my Sunfire amp with something else, and was ready to do it at the end of this month or early July. But as you may, or may not know, I sold my Scripts back in September of last year (using my backup Polk towers in place of the scripts) because I could not mount then to the walls in my new room. I sold them in hopes to getting a set of floor standing Logans that could offer more flexibility in placement. My local Tweeter has a set of ML Aeon i’s for $1976.95, as much as I would like to loose the Sunfire I would love to get the Aeons. So now I am not sure what to do. If I can come up with the money before they are sold, I think I will go for the Aeons and do the amp after that.

We will see.

So many components so little time and money. But that’s part of the fun. Change.
Joe,

Now see..., I knew you were saving-up for an amp, but I thought your next speaker purchase was going to be a pair of Summits... :) Although, $1976.95 is a killer deal for a new pair of Aeon i's is soooo cool.

Your system only gets more and more awesome, Joe... :D

Best of luck whatever you do...

Robin said:
Joe,

Now see..., I knew you were saving-up for an amp, but I thought your next speaker purchase was going to be a pair of Summits... Although, $1976.95 is a killer deal for a new pair of Aeon i's is soooo cool.

Your system only gets more and more awesome, Joe...

Best of luck whatever you do...

Well they look new, but they are not, they are floor models. The nice thing about Tweeter is they offer a 1-year upgrade policy on speakers, including floor models. So my plain (if I can come up with the money before they are sold) is to get the Aeon i's, and upgrade them to Summits early next year. If I sell my Ascents next year and combine that with the trade in on the Aeon's, that should give me 4 grand towards the Summits. :D

The only bad part would be I would loose my Aeons for surrounds and would have to go back to my Polk backup speakers for surrounds:(. But it’s a small price to pay for Summits. :cool:

Last edited:
Summit Plan

Zip3kx07 said:
Well they look new, but they are not, they are floor models. The nice thing about Tweeter is they offer a 1-year upgrade policy on speakers, including floor models. So my plain (if I can come up with the money before they are sold) is to get the Aeon i's, and upgrade them to Summits early next year. If I sell my Ascents next year and combine that with the trade in on the Aeon's, that should give me 4 grand towards the Summits.
The only bad part would be I would loose my Aeons for surrounds and would have to go back to my Polk backup speakers for surrounds:(. But it’s a small price to pay for Summits.
Joe,

I hope you can do it, what you plan sounds like an excellent plan of action to acquire Summits... ;) In the distant future, Vantage's or Vista's would be great as surrounds, with Summits as mains.

Joe, may your Summit quest be realized with the help of Aeon i's. :)

Well it’s been a while since I added some new pic's so here we go.

Yes I know my digital camera sucks, hope to get a new one soon.

Front projection baby.
whole.jpg

The rack of power!
Darack.jpg

PS Audio P1000 power plant.
PP.jpg

Sony PlayStation 3
PS3.jpg

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies.

HDDVD.jpg

Got milk?

Nope

But I got DVD's, pushing 700!

DVDs1.jpg

Whats a good system without software?
DVDs2.jpg

Wow!

Joe,

Impressive... Most Impressive...

I like your PS3, Anthem as well as your selection of HD-DVD and now Blue-Ray DVD's. Awesome! :clap:

Hey Joe,
I want your P1000. :D

Where's the picture of your projector? What are you doing for a screen? I looks like your just projecting on to the wall, any special paint? Any screen plans?

Kruppy

Joe,

Impressive... Most Impressive...

I like your PS3, Anthem as well as your selection of HD-DVD and now Blue-Ray DVD's. Awesome! :clap:

Thank you for the kind words as usual Robin. :)

Feel free to come over any time and watch a movie.

:cheers:

Hey Joe,
I want your P1000. :D

Where's the picture of your projector? What are you doing for a screen? I looks like your just projecting on to the wall, any special paint? Any screen plans?

Kruppy

Here you go Bob.
Never mind the fugly curtains.

HS51.jpg

No screen yet, I am just using my blank pure white wall for now, it is working out fine. A pure white wall is about 1.0 gain; as long as it has minimal texture it will work just fine. I hope to get a Da lite Hi-Power screen soon.

Last edited:
I, too, want you P1000.

Damn you.

Joey

I also have a P500 powering my projector.:devil:

p500.jpg

The PS Audio P500 is in a unit in the back of the room under the projector. I removed the top for better ventilation; the P1000 is passive cooled and the P500 active cooled.

I also have a P500 powering my projector.:devil:

p500.jpg

The PS Audio P500 is in a unit in the back of the room under the projector. I removed the top for better ventilation; the P1000 is passive cooled and the P500 active cooled.

And he rubs it in.....

Once again, damn you, Joe.

Joey :p

OMG!! I hadn't realized that you had added so much cool new gear to your setup. Wow!! It looks amazing!! How is your Anthem D1 compared to the Sunfire TGIII that you used to use? Does the Anthem offer a warm sound like the Sunfire?

Love the new Sony Cineza front projector :) I was ever so tempted to go with a front projector(Sony's new $5,000 SXRD). And the only reason I ultimately decided against it, was because the room Isn't ideal for a front projector (too many windows). If I had had a dedicated theater room with no windows I would have jumped on it. A front projector still is the ultimate. But I sure do love my Sony 70XBR2 :D

Looks like you're off to a great start on your HD DVD collection. My HD DVD collection is fairly small still (only 10), but I'm planning on adding quite a few more here really soon. I was thinking about getting The Rundown and The Chronicles of Riddick on HD DVD. How would you rate the PQ and sound on both?

Again love the new look!

Seth

Last edited:
OMG!! I hadn't realized that you had added so much cool new gear to your setup. Wow!! It looks amazing!! How is your Anthem D1 compared to the Sunfire TGIII that you used to use? Does the Anthem offer a warm sound like the Sunfire?

Thanks Seth,

The Anthem statement D1 is awesome!

It is in my option better in every way then the Sufire. The Sunfire to me was a little too warm and laid back. The Anthem is very natural… not really warm or cold sounding, very true to life. Sounds don’t get smeared together like I felt they did with the Sunfire, the Anthem has incredible separation and transparency.

Love the new Sony Cineza front projector :) I was ever so tempted to go with a front projector(Sony's new $5,000 SXRD). And the only reason I ultimately decided against it, was because the room Isn't ideal for a front projector (too many windows). If I had had a dedicated theater room with no windows I would have jumped on it. A front projector still is the ultimate. But I sure do love my Sony 70XBR2 :D

Front projection is the ultimate home theater setup for sure, but it’s not for everyone. You definitely need a large room with light control. I loved my Sony Grand Vega, but grew tired of the big box between my speakers and having to lug that big thing around whenever I moved. Front projection just seamed like a no brainier for me, much easer to move and sell, but as big of a picture as I wanted. The Peal is an awesome projector; there are better projectors out there but none offer the kind of value of the peal.

Looks like you're off to a great start on your HD DVD collection. My HD DVD collection is fairly small still (only 10), but I'm planning on adding quite a few more here really soon. I was thinking about getting The Rundown and The Chronicles of Riddick on HD DVD. How would you rate the PQ and sound on both?

Again love the new look!

Seth

I consider the Chronicles of Riddick to be reference, 5 out 5 for picture quality. Aeon Flux is another reference, some consider it better then Riddick. King Kong is also very good.

I love the Rundown I find it a very entertaining movie. Picture quality I would give it a 4 out of 5.

Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride is a must see on HD DVD. Your jaw will be on the floor, 6 out of 5 for picture quality. :D

Batman Begins is another one of my Favorites, it’s a must have on HD DVD. 4.5 out of 5.

Thanks again,

The Anthem statement D1 is awesome!

It is in my option better in every way then the Sunfire. The Sunfire to me was a little too warm and laid back. The Anthem is very natural… not really warm or cold sounding, very true to life. Sounds don’t get smeared together like I felt they did with the Sunfire, the Anthem has incredible separation and transparency.

I really love my Sunfire TGIII, but that's not to say that at some point I won't change it out with something else (like an Anthem Statement D2 perhaps). Now if Anthem comes out with a unit that has built in decoders for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD, plus offers HDMI 1.3, then I'm afraid I'd have to get me one :)

Front projection is the ultimate home theater setup for sure, but it’s not for everyone. You definitely need a large room with light control.

I definitely have a large enough room for it but the light control Isn't optimal. Now if at some point I get a dedicated theater room built then a front projection system will be a no brainer :)

I consider the Chronicles of Riddick to be reference, 5 out 5 for picture quality. Aeon Flux is another reference, some consider it better then Riddick. King Kong is also very good.

I love the Rundown I find it a very entertaining movie. Picture quality I would give it a 4 out of 5.

Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride is a must see on HD DVD. Your jaw will be on the floor, 6 out of 5 for picture quality. :D

Batman Begins is another one of my Favorites, it’s a must have on HD DVD. 4.5 out of 5.

For Toshiba's 3 free HD DVD offer, I chose The Chronicles of Riddick as one of my choices, along with The Rundown (like you said it is a very entertaining movie), and Four Brothers.

Since I didn't want to double dip on my purchases I held off on Aeon Flux and Batman Begins. I really wanted to get King Kong but was disappointed when I found out it was only the theatrical version and not the Extended Edition. If it had been the Extended version I would have bought it in a heartbeat!

I have been hearing so many great things about Tim Burton's Corpse Bride that I'm definitely going to get it. I may even break down and get Batman Begins also.

One that I just learned that is coming soon is The Game starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. It's one of my all time faves, and since the standard DVD version that I have Isn't even anamorphic, the HD DVD edition is going to be most welcome. I can't wait!

Again, awesome setup you've got. Enjoy!

Seth

I really love my Sunfire TGIII, but that's not to say that at some point I won't change it out with something else (like an Anthem Statement D2 perhaps). Now if Anthem comes out with a unit that has built in decoders for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD, plus offers HDMI 1.3, then I'm afraid I'd have to get me one :)

I liked my Theater Grand III but I always felt it could be better, so I took the opportunity to sell it before the Theater Grand V came out and devalued it more. I really like the anthem, and as for the Dolby True HD and DTS-HD decoding built in with HDMI? A little birdie says it’s in the works

I definitely have a large enough room for it but the light control Isn't optimal. Now if at some point I get a dedicated theater room built then a front projection system will be a no brainer :)

Well screens do come in different flavors to suit different tastes and needs. You have Silver, White, Gray and Black. Silver is a high gain and works best with dim projectors to increase brightness but will elevate black levels as well as the whites. White screens are good with bright projectors and will give you a good balance between white and blacks.

Gray is for rooms with some ambient light or someone that wants to go front projection and still watch movies with a little light in the room. The gray material will increase your blacks and reject light allowing you to watch movies with some ambient light. Black screens are like gray but more extreme, you can have full on lighting in the room and still see the image, black screens don’t wash out like other screens do but your whites will look grayish.

Still having a dedicated theater room with full on light control is best.

For Toshiba's 3 free HD DVD offer, I chose The Chronicles of Riddick as one of my choices, along with The Rundown (like you said it is a very entertaining movie), and Four Brothers.

Since I didn't want to double dip on my purchases I held off on Aeon Flux and Batman Begins. I really wanted to get King Kong but was disappointed when I found out it was only the theatrical version and not the Extended Edition. If it had been the Extended version I would have bought it in a heartbeat!

I have been hearing so many great things about Tim Burton's Corpse Bride that I'm definitely going to get it. I may even break down and get Batman Begins also.

One that I just learned that is coming soon is The Game starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. It's one of my all time faves, and since the standard DVD version that I have Isn't even anamorphic, the HD DVD edition is going to be most welcome. I can't wait!

Again, awesome setup you've got. Enjoy!

Seth

Corpse Bribe is awesome!

It was shot with digital cameras and truly gives you the impression that the puppets are inside your TV. The living world is done in a monochromatic tone and the land of the dead in full color that is so bright and contrasty you will be in awe.

I have Batman Begins on DVD and it was suppose to be a launch title with the Toshiba player last year but Warner Brothers pulled it back at the last minute. It took almost 6 months to finally get released, but was well worth the wait. I am a BIG Batman fan and there is no other way to enjoy the killer audio and video of Batman Begins then on HD DVD. It was the reason why I wanted to get a Toshiba HD-A1 and it did not disappoint.

Hi Joe,

Couldn't help myself and went and got Batman Begins and Corpse Bride on HD DVD. I haven't had a chance to watch them yet but I'm sure I'm in for quite a treat! :D I did sample one sequence from Batman Begins playing the Dolby TrueHD track, and it TOTALLY knocked my socks off!! I can't wait to actually see the whole movie. Thanks for letting me know just how amazing these HD titles are.

Seth

Back