switching from tube pre-amp to ss processor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wushu2000

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently trying to decide my next course of action. Currently I have a pair of ascents+theater being driven by a Sunfire Cinema grand. I am using a denon 3805 receiver for HT and routing that to a Cary slp308 tube preamp for music only which goes to the sunfire amp. I have two subs, a grotto for music and an outlaw for ht. I am also using a 4 port dvi switch and a component switch to send video to my Maxent 480p plasma and my Infocus 480p front projector. I also have a mass of souces: DVD, LD, cable, XBOX 360, PS2 and a pc. As you can see it is a little complicated.

I have been playing around with the idea of buying an Anthem 30 to replace the denon receiver and cary preamp. This will accomplish quite a few things. First I do not need to have two pres to deal with. I can sell the grotto and outlaw subs for one depth since the anthem allows you to set a music and ht level for the sub. Since I am only using 480p displays I would route all video via component through the anthem which has two component outputs I probably won't even upgrade the projector for a few years.

I am not an audiophile per se, but I do love listening to music. Could I lose any fidelity by switching from the cary to anthem? I already know that ht will sound much better with the anthem but what about the music? I would try it out at my home but I just don't have the resources and listening in the showrooms will just leave my confused. What do you guys think? Stick with what I have or go for the anthem. Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks!
Duane

Last edited:
See if you can audition the Anthem in your existing system. I can't vouch for the Cary preamp as far as sound, but they do have an excellent reputation. Personal bias here, but I think IMO you'll stand a good chance of being disappointed in the change of preamp to S/S. However, surprises happen, so give it a whirl! I would also consider dedicating your HiFi and HT seperately. Daisychaining preamps could lead to problems like ground loops and other noise, in my experience.
Hope this helps! :D

Tube60 said:
I would also consider dedicating your HiFi and HT seperately.
For those that may not have the room or $$$$ to have seperate systems, look for a pre-amp with a HT passthrough - with universal volume control no matter which you are using - Pre Amp for 2 Channel, processor/Pre for HT or MCH. Enables the use of 2 channel, but then run HT also. My 2 channel setup is my main focus on my setup, but I also have the ability for the HT stuff for watching movies with the family.

Dan

DTB300 said:
For those that may not have the room or $$$$ to have seperate systems, look for a pre-amp with a HT passthrough - with universal volume control no matter which you are using - Pre Amp for 2 Channel, processor/Pre for HT or MCH. Enables the use of 2 channel, but then run HT also. My 2 channel setup is my main focus on my setup, but I also have the ability for the HT stuff for watching movies with the family.

Dan

Great advice. I been through iterations and have been happiest with a high quality preamp for 2 channel listening.

Back