Surround Speaker Match for Summit / Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

akopperl

I am considering purchasing either the Summit or Vantage speaker for the front left and right channels of my home theater. Apparently, at least until the Stage comes out, the only choice for the center is the Theater i. However, what speakers are a good match for the surround side and rear speakers? I was thinking about buying 2 pairs of the Passage speaker, but will they be a good match for the Summit or Vantage speakers?

Thanks

akopperl said:
I am considering purchasing either the Summit or Vantage speaker for the front left and right channels of my home theater. Apparently, at least until the Stage comes out, the only choice for the center is the Theater i. However, what speakers are a good match for the surround side and rear speakers? I was thinking about buying 2 pairs of the Passage speaker, but will they be a good match for the Summit or Vantage speakers?

Thanks
Hola Akopperl. Welcome to the club. The best way to match an elestrostatic speaker is using another electrostatic. So, consider the Script i in first place, then the Clarity. Both models have micro-perf stat technology and are great speakers. After that, the ATF Tech. is the closest speaker to an electrostatic. Fresco will be my first choice. Try to audition them and choose the one that you like most. Trust your ears, happy listening,
Pura Vida,
Roberto.

Thanks for the reply Roberto.

I can't really use the Scripts - it will be tough enough to get my wife to consent to the Vantage or Summits let alone 2 more pairs of electrostats hanging from the wall.

I don't think that I have enough real estate to accomodate the Claritys. Although my room is fairly large (22 x 20) - there is a clipped wall towards the back which reduces my placement options for the side surrounds.

The easiest option for me is on-wall or in-walls. The in-walls is probably the easiest way to keep my wife happy. However, I do not want to get 2 pairs of surrounds that will not effectively match the fronts. Unfortunately, there are no local dealers in the area that have the in-walls setup for a demo so I was hoping that somebody on the forum may have experience matching the Passage or Voyage with electrostats up front.

I for one feel that suround speakers are overated when it comes to "movies" yes you gotta have them but unless you listen to muti-channel music the "surround effects" heard through them are the least important content in the audio stream. With respect to the vantages and 5.1 movie content their is no need to worry about "matching" up with your E-panels. That being said if you have all the killer gear in your system for source to speakers then by all means spend away !!!

Excellent advise...

roberto said:
Hola Akopperl. Welcome to the club. The best way to match an elestrostatic speaker is using another electrostatic. So, consider the Script i in first place, then the Clarity. Both models have micro-perf stat technology and are great speakers. After that, the ATF Tech. is the closest speaker to an electrostatic. Fresco will be my first choice. Try to audition them and choose the one that you like most. Trust your ears, happy listening,
Pura Vida,
Roberto.
Akopperl,

Welcome to the ML Club!

I agree with Roberto... :D Consider the Script i's, Audiogon or the ML Club has great deals on Script i's, every now and then, plus they are fantastic speakers. Additionally, consider mounting them from the ceiling, I did they sound wonderful, excellent imaging, total 'Sonic Nirvana'. I don't recommend in wall speakers, because you can't really move them around for better imagining or if you move to a new home.

Whatever you decide, good luck on your audio quest and remember to 'trust your ears'... :D

It's good to have you here. :D

Cheers

-Robin

I disagree with the previous poster. While a perfect timber match is not as critical for the surrounds as it is for the front three, a poor match is easily heard and quite annoying. If you lack room or space for electrostats, the Fresco or the Vignette match well too. I also found that the Axiom QS 4 surrounds worked very well with Logans on movies but were a bit too disfuse for music IMO.

I appreciate all of the replies.

I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on a pair of Vantages, a Theater i and 2 pairs of Passages. I'm still a little leary of the match. I listen to mostly rock (Petty, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, etc.) and have been getting into more and more multichannel music. Therefore, if the Passages don't match well it would be a disappointment.

The other speakers I am considering are from Revel and Dali. I will either get the F52, C52, S30, I20 speakers from Revel or the Dali Helicon 400, C200, W200, IW200 speakers. I know that Revel and Dali match well within their respective lines.

Thanks

Back