Surround matching to ML? (Newbie)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper

Reaction score
First off - some truley amazing systems posted on this site. I Love my system and my MLs but admit to drooling over some of these set-ups...
:bowdown:

Currently have a ML Surround system ~ 90% HT listening & am looking to go to 7.1. Wondering what people think about surround matching w/ ML's. I'd love to go high end but budget limited. Thinking about In-walls vs. stand-alone and also if there is anything other than ML's (sorry to Blaspheme) that mate well?

System: SL3's (Main), Logos (cntr), Aerius (surround)
Velodyne HGS12 sub
Sunfire cinema grand
B&k Ref 50 pre/pro
(Arcam DV27 FMJ - DVD & Marantz Cd)

Thnx, I've been poking around ML website, just wondering if the in-walls is a huge step down. Ideally I'd get another pair of aerius but looks like people are holding onto them :D

Anyone done a comparison?

if for side fill speakers in a 7.1 setup, you could go the way I did, which is to use some Mirage Omnisat FX speakers.

I find the omnisats make excellent side speakers that truly complement the ML's.

Since the side location is such a challenge for the dipole ML's, these wall mounted FX's solve that dilemma if your room is long and narrow.

the dispersion characteristics are also ideal for side speaker duty.

About the only ML I'd consider for sides would be a pair of center channels mounted high on the side walls aimed down at the listening area.

Thanks Jonathan! Appreciate the advice. I hadn't even started thinking about whether to use the Aerius as side vs. rear/Back in a 7.1 setup - Don't worry - I'm sure I'll swap them back and forth a few times once I figure out what speakers I'm buying. >:)

Probably more just to play and see what sound difference it makes... :-D

Jasper

Bohlender Graebener PDR Radia in-wall series. These use the (PDR NEO 3) planar tweeter which ML used for the Montage, Mosaic, Fresco and Vignette models. Great definition - airy. The low drivers are long-excursion kevlar (either 6 or 8 inch) and the crossovers are of a great design/high build quality - well-priced.

New sets occasionally pop-up on E-bay. BG corp also makes some VERY high priced in-wall product, as well as some on-wall models (tend to be quite pricey also). :cool:

Last edited:
Back