Super Tweeters

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does make some sense, Martin Logan puts tweeters on their center channel speakers. I have a Theater i. Im wondering why they only use them on center channel and not the fronts? Perhaps they use the tweeters for voices? Maybe a point source sound generation is good for the center because it makes it sound like the voices are coming from the screen? Wondering if that might be a bad thing for the left and right channels.

Robert, I think you hit it on the head. It would help anchor the sound which is needed in the center channel. I would not bother with the hassle and resulting amount of testing and tuning required for sound that by the authors admission, is not even present on most soundtracks. It really would need to be tuned in with testing by equipment that many do not have. But then, some on here like tweaking and testing and fooling around with. So for them it is not an issue. It depends on if you want to get that involved in "super tweaking" for minimal to no effect. You pay your money and take your chances!

Hi
I don’t see this is really any different than integrating a sub-woofer into the system, all the same things have to be considered and yet many of us manage to do that with some degree of satisfaction. It may take a bit of experimentation to find the right crossover frequency and volume after all this is only supplementing the existing system not replacing it. Isn’t these parameters along with phase that we juggle when using a sub?

Just my thoughts, I hadn’t seen the article before and just thought it made interesting reading. The unit suggested to be used seems to be well regarded and the advantage of being able to be used as a dipole seems to be another plus point for integration.

If you don’t try things you dont know if they will work or not, this tweak is less than some people pay for cables or even capacitors for crossover replacement. I guess it’s all in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day you pays your money and takes a chance as stated above.

Regards to all

William

Hi
I don’t see this is really any different than integrating a sub-woofer into the system, all the same things have to be considered and yet many of us manage to do that with some degree of satisfaction. It may take a bit of experimentation to find the right crossover frequency and volume after all this is only supplementing the existing system not replacing it. Isn’t these parameters along with phase that we juggle when using a sub?

Just my thoughts, I hadn’t seen the article before and just thought it made interesting reading. The unit suggested to be used seems to be well regarded and the advantage of being able to be used as a dipole seems to be another plus point for integration.

If you don’t try things you dont know if they will work or not, this tweak is less than some people pay for cables or even capacitors for crossover replacement. I guess it’s all in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day you pays your money and takes a chance as stated above.

Regards to all

William
Great point about cost. I agree, compared to what a lot of our members spend on things like cables, buying a couple of tweeters doesn't cost much and could have a great impact. Personally I'm happy with how my speakers sound, so I won't mess with it now.A lot of members on here are always trying to tweak things and make improvements, something like this makes sense for them to try. I wish someone on here would try it. If great results were heard then I would probably consider trying it if it didn't require too much tech savvy.

How would you mount the tweeter? Where would it be placed and constructed?

Hi Robert

I have decided to give it a try, so I will let know how I get on. As well as the tweeters you need an L pad I just bought two and this cost 40.00 pounds in the uk. The capacitors for the crossover, just a to try a couple of different values cost peanuts from the bay. One I have settled on the right value I will then go up market. You only need two so no great cost there for some decent ones. Of course you also need a bit of cable.

For now I will probably fix them temporarily and wedge them in the top of the speaker with cardboard just to get them in place to see if I like them and then devise a better method. I do have a couple of ideas.

I will report back on my findings. It will probably be after Christmas now.

So Seasons greetings to all

Regards

William

This will be interesting. Let us know what happens! As a suggestion you want to cross it over quite high so it isn't interfering with the ML panel. Your actual final installation design will be interesting as fixing it to the existing panel will be tricky. But, you are going where many fear to tread. Be brave and don't give up! Good luck! :) Oh, what tweeter did you go with?

Hi
I decided to use the one recommended in the article because it can be used as a dipole which should fit in with rest of the speaker.

As to the crossover frequency I will try a few capacitors. I hoping that it will just reenforce top end, perhaps the last couple of thousand kHz. I guess it may be a bit like a sub where it is suggested that as a starting point it should be 2/3 of the woofer frequency. I have a couple of ideas regarding the fixing one which is very simple.

Anyway I will keep everybody updated

Regards

William

Back