Summits with Lyndorf Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jda99

Reaction score
I am currently running a pair of Theos with a REL sub on a Lyndorf TDAi2170, but am looking to replace the Theos with Summit or Summit X, so I can remove the REL sub.
These older speakers are preferable to the current ranges of speakers as the box at the back with the bass units is much smaller, so domestically easier to accomodate.
However, one review I read said that the Summit HF performance is dependant upon the amplifier they are connected to.
So the question is, is there anyone out there running Summits on Lyndorf who would like to comment?

Thanks,

John

I am currently running a pair of Theos with a REL sub on a Lyndorf TDAi2170, but am looking to replace the Theos with Summit or Summit X, so I can remove the REL sub.
These older speakers are preferable to the current ranges of speakers as the box at the back with the bass units is much smaller, so domestically easier to accomodate.
However, one review I read said that the Summit HF performance is dependant upon the amplifier they are connected to.
So the question is, is there anyone out there running Summits on Lyndorf who would like to comment?

Thanks,

John
i’m not using the tdai2170 amp but using a prima luna hp tube power amp with really good bass and everything else sounds good. just let u know tubes can be wonderful to.

You might find that the REL sub can still be effective with the Summits. You should audition with and without to determine efficacy before abandoning the REL.

Thanks,

John

Hi John
I had a pair of Summits back in 2010 together with the Tda2200 and a Millennium mk3.
They both worked fine if i remember correctly, but it was a BIG difference in the bass area between the Tda and the millennium.
the millennium sounded warmer with a much better bassresponce! (Which i found strage as they have actively powered basselements.
The i borrowed a Mcintosh 275... and i was sold... tubes was my next step!

I would be inclined to stick with that Lyndorf. ESLs in general are more sensitive to amplifier choice. The ESL panel impedance is capacitive and the impedance can drop very low as the frequency increases. Most tube amplifiers will at a minimum shelve down the high frequencies. You may or may not find that effect pleasing. If you have older ears, you may not even notice it. Personally, I found my McIntosh monos to not work well with my previous Ethos.

As to the REL, I agree with Gordon. You may still want some additional LF support. I have the Montis which do not go as low as the Summits. I have them in a large room and find the bass is more than sufficient for 2 CH music. Maybe not so much for HT, but I do not use that system for HT.

I am only interested in 2 Channel and, as regards the REL, the Management wants to see the back of it and so has agreed to the purchase of Summits......

I have a pair of Summitts. I have had them since 2005 and for many years they were driven with a Millennium Mk3. I replaced that amp with a Lyngdorf SDA-2400. Did not like the sound in the midrange. Much different to the Millennium. But both had huge bass. Its more about the room and placement. I was getting a huge 23dB hump at 20hz! Got that under control with room correction (TacT RCS 2.0s)
I now have the new PS Audio Stellar M1200 mono blocks. 1200 W at 4 ohms. No sub and the speakers are "moving" the floors of my room when they get the limits of my hearing.
These speakers have built in subs as far as I am concerned

Hmmm. I run a Lyngdorf tdai3400 and sda2175 combo to run my Quad 2905 and Lyngdorf W210 passive woofers with good results ( using room perfect too and the provision of an active crossover is a boon). But the Quads are a little imposing in our 20’ x 13’ lounge. So thinking of something with a smaller footprint. I used to run Prodigies but never found the bass to sound very natural - and they were just too big.
so, I’ve been reconsidering MLs again and thoughts turn to the Summit, Spire, Montis, Summit X ( used if I can find any - choice limited here in the UK). However all of these have their own crossovers and bass amplification so I wonder how best to power them with the Lyngdorfs. Seems a shame to abandon the active crossover capability. Would it work by still using it and, say, sending sub 350Hz output to the bass sections ? Think I could only do this with the Summit.
The only candidate I’ve found for sale at present is the original Summit. Are the others a worthwhile and significant step forward ?

Back