Summits - Which are the best amps. to match with

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASantos

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Having a pair of Summit since last April, I just updated my CD player, (Meridian 508.20), for the DCS P8i. I also dismised my pre-amp./processor, (Primare SP 31), and run the DCS directelly into the amp.. The amp. still remains, (Parasound HCA-3500), but seems to be out level, between the DCS and Summits.

So, where should I go, in terms of finding a amp. that match the rest of the system?
I think, Summit owners don`t need a amp., witch has his major strengths in the bass area, because the quality of the bass, is the one that the amps. in the Summits can produce. Do You agree?
For instance, why have Nuforce or even Krell with Summits? (I´m being polemic for pourpose).

Thanks for all the contribution on this discussion.
Regards.
ASantos

You will want an amp that is confortable at lower impedences, especially if you listen at high levels. I don't think you need gobs of power on the Summits but headroom is a good thing in my opinion :)

ASantos. I disagree. You really do need an amp that goes low. Because the Summits need a very high quality signal to start with. If you feed the digital amps cr*p, then that's what you'll get in return. Maybe you don't need heaps of power, but what you need is full bandwidth, and very good low impedance drive capabilities.

Unfortunately, you generally only get those features with higher powered amplifiers. I like the Parasound gear, but maybe if you look further up the model range, you may get something with the resolution and bandwidth you require. I think your model is an older product. The new Halo range might be the way to go.

Last edited:
edwinr said:
ASantos. I disagree. You really do need an amp that goes low. Because the Summits need a very high quality signal to start with. If you feed the digital amps cr*p, then that's what you'll get in return. Maybe you don't need heaps of power, but what you need is full bandwidth, and very good low impedance drive capabilities.

Unfortunately, you generally only get those features with higher powered amplifiers. I like the Parasound gear, but maybe if you look further up the model range, you may get something with the resolution and bandwidth you require. I think your model is an older product. The new Halo range might be the way to go.
I just got my new Wolcott 280-S tube amp, it really rocks the Summits as even my Pass Labs X350.5 could NOT :eek: You ought to read some about this $6500 amp :)

Hi:
I've got a friend bringing over a Copland 405 integrated 50 watt tube amp (http://www.copland.dk/features/CTA_405.htm). He is of the opinion that there is no need to have a high powered amp with the Summits. I'm hoping the Copland will blow away my Classe CA200 solid state amp. At $4500 this is the top of my budget. I'll post the results at the end of the week.
Bill.

Last edited:
Asantos,
You may want to stay where you are....unless your amp is problematical. I've noticed that ML mostly uses Parasound Halo amps to demo their speakers at shows. It is also rumored that the speakers are voiced using Parasound amps.......

stereoman said:
Hi:
I've got a friend bringing over a Copland 405 integrated 50 watt tube amp (http://www.copland.dk/features/CTA_405.htm). He is of the opinion that there is no need to have a high powered amp with the Summits. I'm hoping the Copland will blow away my Classe CA200 solid state amp. At $4500 this is the top of my budget. I'll post the results at the end of the week.
Bill.
I owned a Copland CTA 401 (I think this was the model number...?) some years ago. It was a very nice 50 watter. They make some sensational gear. The only thing I'd be concerned about is whether the Copland can handle the very low impedances around 20Khz or so.

Also, as to whether the Copland actually sounds 'better' than the Classe would be interesting to ascertain. I doubt if the Copland wouild be able to keep up at higher spl's. But you never know... :rolleyes:

Good day to you all,

I thank you guys for all of your opinions and help. I hope we can discuss this subject a little further.

Viking and Edwinr – I’m not a big fan of tubes but I always keep an open mind. So it was nice to know about Wolcott.

Stereoman - don´t forget to let us know about your Copland test.

DrJapp - Am I mistaken or do you power your Summits with Nuforce? It would be a good choice for me, because of the lower price, compared with Parasound JC1, for instance. If I'm right, can you please tell us about your experience with them? I like newer technologies..., if good!

I have read somewhere, (maybe here!), that the Summits like to be matched with "zero feedback" amps. Do you guys know any examples/brands/models?

Thanks again.
Best Regards.
ASantos

My Summits are not powered by my NuForce amps. I don't like the forward presentation of the Ref9s with the ML. I use the NuForce in my office system which has some B&W XT4s as speakers. If you really want Ref9s, mine would be available at a very good price.

For my Summits I use an Aragon 3005 which delivers 500wpc in two channel mode in 4 ohms and up to 600 wpc peak in 5 channel mode. It is a Mondial designs minimalist approach with extremely low feedback. The original design is attributed to Dan D'agostino of Krell.

The 3005 is a very neutral sounding amp with high end extension up to 50khz and total stability down to a short circuit. The high end is smooth as a babys butt with no graininess or screech whatsoever so it works well in minimizing silibance. Although it's a brute, this amp has nuance and delicacy and great inner detail. This has been the best sound combination I have found to date with the Summits.

Last edited:
Get the Parasound Halo A51/C2 Class A amp. I power my Ascent-i with them and they are amazing.

kamran said:
Get the Parasound Halo A51/C2 Class A amp. I power my Ascent-i with them and they are amazing.

I would have to concur. I've heard some fantastic things about the Halo A51.

I tried a Halo A21 in my quest for the ultimate amp for my system. It was very powerful, but I was somewhat dissapointed in the top end extension at moderate and lower volumes. I thought the amp sould be more linear that it really was. The A21 is the 2 channel version of the A51.

Last edited:
You really need to listen to the big boy of the Halo range. It'd be like chalk and cheese, I reckon... ;)

edwinr said:
You really need to listen to the big boy of the Halo range. It'd be like chalk and cheese, I reckon... ;)

Ed.... are you referring to the JC1 monoblocks? I understand that they are great amps, but everone who has them sayas they throw a LOT of heat. They are class A amps.

Last edited:
Jeff Rowland

For my two cents I would suggest you listen to the Jeff Rowland 201 monoblocks. I just hooked up my vantages with them and the concerto preamp and its a whole new system. The sound is so much clearer and its very obvious that there is plenty of power to spare!!!!

I cant really tell what would sound best with summits. To tell the truth, I dont think anyone can. The reality is an amo can be very personal. Most guys have it right though, tube is the way to go. If I were forking over the $, I think you cant go wrong with Hovland. Take a listen adn see what you think.

It's very subjective, isn't it? I know what I'd like to buy, but my bank balance won't wear it. So I've compromised with what I have now - a tube pre and a s/s power amp. My combination sounds really good, but I know I can do better.

stereoman said:
Hi:
Bill.
We had a great time listening to the Copland amp. It had no problem driving the Summits to high sound levels. Lower levels produce all of the benefits that tubes bring to the table. Music was more enjoyable with the Copland than the Classe. At times it was magical! However, the Copland's preamp section could not hold a candle to the Audio Research LS16. I'll take my time and consider other tube amps. In the mean time, I'm addressing my first priority--the equipment stand.

We had a great time listening to the Copland amp. It had no problem driving the Summits to high sound levels. Lower levels produce all of the benefits that tubes bring to the table. Music was more enjoyable with the Copland than the Classe. At times it was magical! However, the Copland's preamp section could not hold a candle to the Audio Research LS16. I'll take my time and consider other tube amps. In the mean time, I'm addressing my first priority--the equipment stand.

Tonight I auditioned the EAR 890 tube amplifier (http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/404ear/) with my Summits. What a fantastic amp! It was superior to the Copland in every way. I'm realizing how much potential there is with the Summits. From my admittedly limited auditioning of amps I have to say that tube amps and preamps are the best match for these speakers. In the next while I will try the EAR 869 15 wpc SET integrated amp, and the Graff GM50 (http://www.graaf.it/GM50blackeng.HTM). The Classe CA200 amp's days are numbered. :eek:

Latest posts

Back