summits/protection/bass amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
can someone please come up with an inexpensive way to protect the summits bass amps im tired of them getting destroyed when there’s a storm that causes a surge/black out. i’ve had to send the amps back numerous times for repair luckily they have been able to repair them so far. Its not all of them at once it’s just one or maybe two. one time i sent back the bad amp and while it was in for repair they emailed me to say the other one was going bad. i just wish ML would come up with something! thank u

Do you mean Power Surge Protectors such that this one are ineffective in your case ?
Note that to be effective, ALL interconnected components, including audio-sources, have to be protected, AND that good earth grounding must be provided at surge protector level.

One thing Iike on our house is what you might call a whole house surge protector. It's called Strike Stop here. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it's a small part fitted on the electric meter on the outside of your house where the main power line comes in. If it's hit, a light turns off informing you it needs to be replaced.

https://www.duke-energy.com/Home-Services/Strikestop
The power company then will pay for your insurance deductible if anything manages to get damaged. Just one more thing you can do in addition to what you're already doing.

I put one on my main power in to my home and the power company has one outside my home. For the power company you pay $10/mo. The one I installed was about $80 on Amazon.

This is the one I purchased but there are lots of options. I selected it because my electrical panel is Square D and I have a 200A service. My memory failed me as it was $108. It includes a 5 year $50K home protection warranty. To install it, you have to shut off your main breaker (the big 200A in my case) and connect it across the lines feeding the panel. Use a volt meter to be sure you are not on the incoming hot side. If you can cut off power from outside coming from the utility that is even better. With 240V and 200A you can easily be electrocuted if you don't first ensure there is no power anywhere in the panel. Connect it as shown in the instructions.

Hi

A couple of things: I'd assume from your post that you are not an electrical engineer, nor a certified electrician - not casting any shade, just suggesting you do NOT attempt to install any devices in your electrical distribution panel in your home (if I am correct in my assumptions!).

I'd suggest a multi-tiered approach, so something like a reputable surge suppressor that you can plug your speakers into. These you can purchase and installl yourself.

Also, a whole-house suppressor, as mentioned above, or something like
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013WINMK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's what I got, and had an electrician install. Here in Houston, I was going through electronic devices (smart light switches, wall warts, amp fuses/power supplies, etc.) on a regular basis. Since I installed the whole house suppressor, no damaged units at all.

Now, as I say this, Tropical Storm Nicholas is taking aim at us, so...

Cheers

Russ

I can't speak for @khenegar but I was trained as an electrician in my early days and later as an electronics technician and after that as an electrical engineer. Hence my warnings above. THE KEY IS TO MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF. If you are not comfortable doing this then by all means hire an electrician to do it. I shouldn't take more than ½ an hour to install which includes removing the front panel, cutting power, installing the suppressor and reinstalling the front panel and restoring power.

unplug them prior to a storm !
I do that with my desktop computers all of the time. Pain in the ass, but gives me piece of mind. We lost a computer once to a strike that hit our neighbors tree. I think it came in through the cable. After that I got the whole house suppressor through Duke. We also lost our security system too.

Back