Summits are here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must be right Joey, thanks. It's just that when I auditioned the JL, the music was just amazing. Of course, it was not an A/B with the Summits or anything. I guess it might also be difficult to mesh the two together?? (assuming I ever do get the ability to run 2.1)

imo, this piece (the sub) represents the Overkill of all the stuff I'm buying, if it becomes only an HT sub. Everything else, I absolutely want/need so far, and so no issues with me. I bet a SVS PB-12 NSD for $600 would be just fine. Never heard it though. Bah, enough with the guilt. Ok.

(robotic voice with metal arms straight out)

YeS mA-sT-eR jO-eY. wIlL oP-eN sUb NoW.

:stop:

(robotic voice with metal arms straight out)

YeS mA-sT-eR jO-eY. wIlL oP-eN sUb NoW.

:stop:

Mwahahahahah!!!

If my only purpose on this forum is to egg people onto opening more gear boxes... I've done my duty! The JL Audio cannot be compared to an SVS, I'm sorry. I've owned my share of SVS subs, but the Fathom is a beast of a level above.

I say, you live once, why waste it with regrets. If you got food in your fridge, not in debt, and your family is healthy and financially stable... spoil yourself man.

Even if that means overkill.

But that's just me.... and I'm a bit looney.

Joey ;)

Joey, the sub is a freekin' beast. Installed it last night, but didn't set it up until a couple of hours ago. The following is not an exaggeration. During the ARO calibration, I went outside to see where the supposed jack-hammering was going on. Didn't see anyone with a jack-hammer. Came back inside, restarted the caibration, heard the jack-hammer again (now I knew it had to be the sub) and during the long tones when the sub registers the calibration I wasn't sure if there was a flyover above or an earthquake, even after already suspecting a jack-hammer. Honestly. :eek: The sub found the resonant frequencies of every window, door, object, WALL, you name it. FREAKY!

I see now that my cdp has two sets of analog outs. So I think I should be able to hook up the sub directly from the cdp for a 2.1 experiment, using the sub's x-over. I'll get to it eventually. btw, my cd remote doesn't work. Fancy and heavy, but useless. Dealer says he had issues too and that I should carefully check polarity. Well, I am usually pretty meticulous and I even tried reversing the polarity, no go. Back to the dealer again. Did see one for sale on Ebay for $10 though.

Tried a bit of HT, some Empire Strikes Back & X-Men 3. Rumbles were cool and all, PSB's are totally adequate for the effects, but now I have an even more stark impression of how amazing music can sound at times on these Summits that I love. I guess my only HT complaint for now might be that I wish the fresco-i could handle more slam. On the other hand, the voices are so much clearer now and that really is the most important thing for me.

I'll keep ya updated, thanks for the support, appreciate it. Have a great weekend -jk

My dealer was wrong. The NAD doesn't boot out the sub.

(Napoleon Dynamite voice)
Yesssssssss

Sub really adds a lot, especically in terms of timpani and percussion. Couldn't be happier.....

Ya, was listening tonight with it. Lot of fiddling and figuring out to do. Its x-over'd at 40hz at about 1/3 the variable gain. Hearing the bass pizzacatos so cleary in the funeral march/adagio of Beethoven's 7th was great. I haven't even tried my organ discs yet (Bach, Martin, Buxtehude, Franck). I may well abandon the sub in 2-ch, but have to listen and play for a while. For now, I'll have to use the OSD to change the x-over back and forth for HT and stereo, unless I figure something else out, we'll see. Im going to research bass management systems somewhat in the next week to see what kind of features they may offer. This is an area I know absolutely nothing about. Wouldn't know if they have preset x-overs, etc, built-in or not. The JL does not have presets, and the NAD has a universal x-over (cannot preset per input/setting). Also wish the NAD had a variable x-over, not settings of 80, 60, 40 etc.

Wish this noobie some luck! ok, gotta get back to my friends...

I didnt know that the Fathom doesnt have onboard crossover presets... did I catch that right?

That's right. No high level inputs either. Any tips or suggestions? I am leaning towards keeping the sub. Had a friend listen while I played with the sub level during Mingus' Let My Children Hear Music. At zero, Mingus's lines are extremely hard to discern. The only thing I might be afraid of is some "bloat" down low, but I think I should be able to find a good level, or so I hope.

Joey talked me into a Velodyne SMS-1, and I'm very happy he did. It really allows you to 'tune' you subs. The unit runs about $600 new, but you can often find them on eBay or Audiogon in the $400 range.

Thanks guys. I am going to take some time to dial it in with my ears only, as I trust them. However, do you guys think I will be wasting my time by not getting such a unit to begin with up front? I guess one could say I will only appreciate the improvements all the more.

Joey, you are a doctor in Chicago? med student? My younger brother is about to finish his intern year (Northwestern) in radiology. Im going to fly out there in a few weeks and accompany him on the drive back to CA ... He wants my htib, heheheh...

Edit: ah, didn't check your profile. What kind of medicine do you think you will get into? Not that I know anything about that crazy stuff....

Last edited:
Any update on your Fathom F113?

How's the Fathom 113 doing in your system?

I have a new set of Vantages with the Descent i sub, BUT . . . . . my dealer is still giving me time to change to a Fathom f113 IF I want to! I can relate to the seeming agony you have gone through looking for equipment. While it is a huge part of the "fun" of this hobby, mistakes can be costly, not to mention the psychological damage when you realize you MAY have bought the wrong . . . .whatever it is you just bought!

Ironically my dealer uses a Fathom f113 in his ML based system. I don't know what model he has, but I know they are older ML speakers. He has invited me over to listen and I should take him up on it soon, as I have to make up my mind quickly . . . . Descent i or Fathom f113 . . . The Descent i is very good, but at times . . . I just don't know. I think it COULD be better. Is the answer the Fathom f113?

The Descent i seems to have more "hook up" options, making it easier to use for either two channel OR HT. The Fathom doesn't seem to have that capability. Then there's that mysterious "CLX" option on the Descent, for the "future panel only" ML's, that if I won the lottery, I could upgrade to and use the Descent i for the base!

Now I need some stomach antacids :(

Back