Summits are are here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russb

Reaction score
I decieded to sell my Ascent-i speakers and one of my Descent subs. to buy a new pair of Summit's. I just got them shipped to my house on Tuesday 3-28-06. I justed finished setting them up and began the break in process. I have to say the sound is the best I have ever heard in my many years of being an Audiophile, and they are still not even close to being broke in yet. I am glad I sold my other speakers and took the chance with the Summit's. Here is a picture of the new system with some added sound control on the front wall. Also I added 24x24x3/4 marble slabs to support the Summit's on my thick carpet.

Thank You

Russ

Attachments

• summit 2.JPG
    summit 2.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Russ...

WELCOME to the Summit Club!!

I'm glad you got your Summits up and running - looks reeeeal spiffy! Do you listen to music with the Descent on or off? What do you find with either configuration?

Also, make sure to make a comparison between your Summits and your Ascents.

Good choice, btw.

Nice looking system Russ, I noticed the Steam Engine on your mantle, are you a railfan ??

Congrats I am sure you will be very happy. I agree with the slabs I had the same issue with my carpet and did something similar. Really helped lock in the soundstage. Since getting my Summits I have felt no need to use my subs for two channel listening........Steve

Last edited:
Nice car Steve!

Nice trains Dave!

Nice Summits Russ!

On a serious note... I wonder what a Descent would add to the Summits. It goes to what.... 16-18hz with room gain? I would assume you will solidify the 25hz response and drop it another 7-8hz.... is there music information at this infrasonic frequency?

I know for movies, this is a must... but 2 channel listening?

Joey_V said:
Nice car Steve!

Nice trains Dave!

Nice Summits Russ!

On a serious note... I wonder what a Descent would add to the Summits. It goes to what.... 16-18hz with room gain? I would assume you will solidify the 25hz response and drop it another 7-8hz.... is there music information at this infrasonic frequency?

I know for movies, this is a must... but 2 channel listening?

I use my subs for HT, but decided after listening that I did not need them for 2 channel. I agree that a sub would get you lower. But I wonder how much info is really there beyond the Summits range on mostly any music you would listen to. I will have to try some church organ or something. Of course your mileage may vary.

Just got the car last week, I am so torn between spending time listening to my stereo or driving my car. Plus my amp came back fixed from Classe and it sounds better than ever. So little weekend so much fun to have.

And again enjoy your Summits Russ.....Steve

Joey_V said:
Russ...

WELCOME to the Summit Club!!

I'm glad you got your Summits up and running - looks reeeeal spiffy! Do you listen to music with the Descent on or off? What do you find with either configuration?

Also, make sure to make a comparison between your Summits and your Ascents.

Good choice, btw.

Joey
As of know I do use the sub when I listen to music. it seems to fill in the middle with a nice rounded bass responce. When the Summit's breake in fully I may find that I will not need the sub so I will then make my decision on selling it. As for the Ascent-i speakers the summit's have a tighter more accurate bass responce. The midrange and highs are smoother with now edge at all with my Bel Canto equipment. I feel I made the right choice in choosing the Summit's. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Summit's 25hz. and 50hz.

I just wanted to ask everbody on where did you find the proper settings for the 25hz and the 5ohz settings on your systems. I am not sure on mine yet because they are still breakin in. Please let me know your opinion on these settings.
Thanks
Russ

Russb said:
I just wanted to ask everbody on where did you find the proper settings for the 25hz and the 5ohz settings on your systems. I am not sure on mine yet because they are still breakin in. Please let me know your opinion on these settings.
Thanks
Russ

Very room dependent.....get a rat shack spl meter and some test tones you should be able to dial in.....Steve

As Steve said, you need a RadioShack meter and run frequency sweeps.

Joey_V said:
As Steve said, you need a RadioShack meter and run frequency sweeps.

If you have a computer nearby, it can make things a ton easier on the measurements.

I use Room EQ Wizard and a Radio Shack meter. It will generate the test tones for you and make the response plots automatically. You can dial in the frequency range you want to sweep and then let it go! Sit back and drink a beer while it's running ;)

Note: there are other programs that can do the same thing, REQW s only one variety, but I like it and it's FREE.

Very room dependent.....get a rat shack spl meter and some test tones you should be able to dial in.....Steve
I have the Rat Shack meter but where is good place to find a test tone CD? I could sure use one to dial in my system.

DTB300 said:
Here is something from Ethan Winer from Real Traps. Only thing it that they are MP3 files, but the good thing is that it is in 1 Hz increments. Here is link:

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

Dan

I used the same set of tones, you can simply burn them to a CD. Yes, the 1Hz increments make a big difference, it's amazing what you'll find.

The only thing is that it takes an hour or so to go through them all. I did it that way once or twice (lately) before I started using the computer.

How is off axis listening with the Summit? Is it better than previous models?

Thanks

rynopr said:
How is off axis listening with the Summit? Is it better than previous models?

Thanks

That is one thing I did notice that the Summit's perform nicely off axis. I know how to set up my Summits as far as the 25hz and the 50hz go.
I was just asking everbody what ther finel settings were for these controls.

Thanks

Russ

This really is a dream system! I think it should sound GREAT with the Wadia 861 direct-coupled to the Bel Canto amps!

garmtz said:
This really is a dream system! I think it should sound GREAT with the Wadia 861 direct-coupled to the Bel Canto amps!

No kidding. I don't know what he needs the Bel Canto pre-amp for...

That has to be a truly beautiful sounding system. Wadia made the best CD players you could buy. Too bad the company was run by those chimps in the Monster Jobs commercials.

Latest posts

Back