Summits are are here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the buy Russ. I too have been looking at giving up the Ascent i's for a new pair of Summits. I just can't decide if it's worth the 5k (after I sell the Ascent's) it will cost me.

No kidding. I don't know what he needs the Bel Canto pre-amp for...

So Russ, how does the system sound with just the Wadia and amps? We wanna know. I've been pondering going preampless someday. Nice system you have there.

Here is something from Ethan Winer from Real Traps. Only thing it that they are MP3 files, but the good thing is that it is in 1 Hz increments. Here is link:

I found the Cd very helpful in finding where the peaks and nulls are in my room. However, while the 25Hz and 50Hz knobs are helpful in flattening them out, the peaks and nulls are in a different range than the adjustment on the knobs. I have a -10dB null at 45Hz and a +10dB peak at 65. I knew the room had issues and I'll have to work on those. But at least now I'm closer to indentifying where I need to start.

Craig said:
I found the Cd very helpful in finding where the peaks and nulls are in my room. However, while the 25Hz and 50Hz knobs are helpful in flattening them out, the peaks and nulls are in a different range than the adjustment on the knobs. I have a -10dB null at 45Hz and a +10dB peak at 65. I knew the room had issues and I'll have to work on those. But at least now I'm closer to indentifying where I need to start.
This is where I found my SMS-1 to be of great help. Not only do I use it to equalize my Sub, but I also use it with room treatments to see the immediate affect by watching the realtime curve that the SMS-1 provides. I no longer have to make a change, sit there play out 100 frequencies, write them down, only to find out 30-45 min later that there was no effect or the wrong effect.

I am trying to remember, but there is a program out there which you use with the Rad Shack SPL Meter an your computer. It will play a low end sweep signal and capture the graph to your computer. In shareware mode you can only capture three graphs at a time (cannot save if I remember right), then you need to close and open the program again. Program name slips me right now, but I think Ethan mentions it on his site or forum. It is a nice "in-between" option from individual frequency testing and writing them down, to the SMS-1 and the real time graph.

Dan

DTB300 said:
I am trying to remember, but there is a program out there which you use with the Rad Shack SPL Meter an your computer. It will play a low end sweep signal and capture the graph to your computer.
Dan

Room EQ Wizard???

I know I can read the dimensions, but it will help me to have a visual. Are the Summits smaller than the Ascenti, the same size, or bigger?

Thanks

rynopr said:
I know I can read the dimensions, but it will help me to have a visual. Are the Summits smaller than the Ascenti, the same size, or bigger?

Thanks

The Summit's are about 6" shorter then the Ascent-i speakers. Tha bass cabinet is a bit longer then the Ascent-i. over all they are roughly about the same foot print.
As for the Wadia 850 running direct to the Bel Canto amp to me it did not have the bass control that the Bel Canto pre2p has. The pre2p has a bit warmer sound with much better bass control. Also the preamp sounds better at lower volumes. The Wadia needs to at a point in the digital volume control around 75-85 to get that full sound effect. I personly like using the preamp over the direct run to the amp from the Wadia 850. This is only my preference.

Thanks
Russ

rynopr said:

Thanks

They're about six inches shorter, but roughly equivalent in other gross dimensions. They look much smaller due to the different design having much less visual mass, such as the rear base being squared-off instead of tapered like the Ascent.

Here's your visual...this center channel speaker might just blow away the Stage...

Attachments

• Ascent as a Center Channel2.jpg
    Ascent as a Center Channel2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Attachments

• Ascent-Summit angle.jpg
    Ascent-Summit angle.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 127

The Summit is smaller than the Ascent with a bigger sound. The measured area of the panel is about the same, however, the Summmit's panel is completely open where as the Ascent's panel is surrounded by the side rails and as deep as 7 1/2 inches into the side rails. Also, a portion of the Ascents panel sits directly in front of the cabinet. The Ascents are an excellent sounding speaker when properly driven but are bettered by the Summits, especially in the bass dept. The Summits do very well with low powered tube amps.

Attachments

• Ascent Summit Cabinet View b.jpg
    Ascent Summit Cabinet View b.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Thank you so much! That is exactly what I needed...that is a big help.

Np problem, glad to help. Now can you come over and help me lug the speaker back to the other room? By the way, the Summits are on extended spikes and the Ascents are on sliders (not spikes). Spikes would add about an inch or two while on carpet and even more on a hard surface.

Last edited:
Craig

You don't find the Summits to meet your needs? What is the reasoning behind the Aeons too?

Thanks

You don't find the Summits to meet your needs? What is the reasoning behind the Aeons too?
The Summits are fine. I had some extra gear so I put a system together for the bedroom.

rynopr said:
Craig

Thanks

Craig is our resident posterboy.

Just busting your chaps, Craig! ;)

Back