Summits and "ICE power modules"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vassilis

Reaction score
I was using for two years a pair of Acoustic Reality 1001 monoblocks driving

Requests.The sound was ultra top class!!!

The experience of the synergy between Summits and 1001s was quite

traumatic.

There was not normal operation at all!

After that a communication with Jim Power solved almost 100% the problem.

This is the email with the necessary informations:

"...I understand perfectly the problem.
There is a solution. We will provide Adamco with a pair of circuit boards which will take care of everything.
What is occurring is the Summit is interacting with the ICE amplifier of the Acoustic Reality. The ICE amp has a DC offset which does not allow the Summit to detect that music is playing. It is essentially 'blinded' by the DC. It assumes that no music is playing and it is time to shut down. We have now modified the design of the Summit power supply circuit design to allow it to work normally with the DC offset of digital amplifiers.
I am copying Adamco to alert them that I will be shipping the required circuit boards for you.
Thank you for your patience. Rest assured, we will resolve this for you.
All the best,
jp"

Vassilis said:
I was using for two years a pair of Acoustic Reality 1001 monoblocks driving

Requests.The sound was ultra top class!!!

The experience of the synergy between Summits and 1001s was quite

traumatic.

There was not normal operation at all!

After that a communication with Jim Power solved almost 100% the problem.

This is the email with the necessary informations:

"...I understand perfectly the problem.
There is a solution. We will provide Adamco with a pair of circuit boards which will take care of everything.
What is occurring is the Summit is interacting with the ICE amplifier of the Acoustic Reality. The ICE amp has a DC offset which does not allow the Summit to detect that music is playing. It is essentially 'blinded' by the DC. It assumes that no music is playing and it is time to shut down. We have now modified the design of the Summit power supply circuit design to allow it to work normally with the DC offset of digital amplifiers.
I am copying Adamco to alert them that I will be shipping the required circuit boards for you.
Thank you for your patience. Rest assured, we will resolve this for you.
All the best,
jp"
Hola...it is good to know that you got top high quality fast service!!! Jim Power is a gentleman, and sometimes you have a failure...also, it is good to know that not all Summits have that problem...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Well, actually yes. All Summits DID have that problem until just about early February when they started making all of them with the ICE acceptable modification.

All Summits moving forward are compatable with ICE based amps. Any produced prior will have to have new circuit board (or such) modification installed.

I had to request when my pair were built to have the "ICE mod" done so it will work with my amps...

I'm glad you posted this. I experienced the same thing with a new Cary A-306 powering my Summits. They did not work together at all and I thought something was broke with either the Summits or the amp but both worked fine in other systems. Apparently, my Summits don't have the latest circuit board. I picked them up in Jan 06. I should have called Jim but I'm glad you did. Now I know what was going on.

Back