Summit X - Solid State Amp Opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s more than two years ago now, so I cannot give many details anymore. But because of the powered woofers in the ML11, there wasn’t much difference in the lower registers.
I listened to the two Accuphase amps at two different shops, so they were also difficult to compare. I liked the Accuphase E650 a lot, but what I didn’t like was the temperature of the top of it… class A, so very inefficient.
Out of this selection, the Diablo was certainly the best. But at a price: almost twice that of the Hegel. And the Hegel also has an amazing DAC inside. The Diablo is better than the Hegel, but definitely not twice as good (you can’t measure greatness, but you know what I mean).
I didn’t hear any roll off in the high freqencies with any of the amps. But they are all very stable.
My conclusion: if you want the best amp price wise, buy the Hegel. Otherwise: listen to the Diablo and the E650 (or the newer E850), and pick what you like best.

Much appreciated! I'm afraid Diablo is out of my priced range. I've heard the Accuphase E600 and really liked it, but it was a very different system with dynamic speakers and I had no idea if it (or the newer E650, or the E480) could easily drive the Impression 11. Also, my amp, an Audio Analogue Maestro Anniversary integrated, is no slouch either, so there is a risk of discovering after such an "upgrade" that it was more of a sideways move. I'd like a warmer SS amp, hence my interest in Accuphase. Surprisingly, the Pass Labs Int250 seemed a bit too tame to my ears, a "gentle giant" kind of sound when paired with the Expression 13. Not sure where to go...

Thank you again!

A friend is lending me his Accuphase E-480 in mid-August to see how it sounds with the Renaissance 15a’s. I’m currently using the EAR v20 integrated amp, which works wonderfully with the 15a’s, but I can’t pass on this offer. I’ll report back with my impressions.

Hello folks,
Been a real long time since I've been on the forum but have all along been using ML speakers in variations. I recently picked up a pair of Summit X and am in the market for a new amp. In the past I always used tube hybrid integrated amps and as of late been into solid state. Currently have the Plinius Hautonga and have been looking at the Esoteric F-05, Esoteric F-3A and Gyrphon Diablo. Who has these amp experiences with ML and would the Esoteric F-3A 30 watt class A give them a real good push with the built in powered subs? Also please suggest other amps in this range that may blow them all away. I've heard the Esoteric F-05 on Wilson Maxx 2 speakers and it sounded absolutely amazing. Way different speakers though. Happy to be back, thanks all!
I use a pair of Benchmark AHB2s into Montis/ESL 11As, with a backup pair of Purifi IET400As.
I confess to preferring the Bechmarks. In comparison the class D amps seem a little soft, but the difference is small.

I know that this is going to sound like heresy but I connected up the ML Forte 100W/channel amp with Anthem Room Correction (ARC) to my Classic 9s along with an 800X that also has ARC and after running the ARC correction which tunes the speaker and sub together, the sound was better than when I ran the sub ARC alone and had 250W monobocks on the 9s without ARC.

I do have an open concept home where on one side the speaker is open to the kitchen. See the attached photo. I have everything hidden away in the bottom of the fireplace.

Attachments

• IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 47
I use a pair of Benchmark AHB2s into Montis/ESL 11As, with a backup pair of Purifi IET400As.
I confess to preferring the Benchmarks. In comparison the class D amps seem a little soft, but the difference is small.
I also considered those 2 amplifiers before finally settling for the Purifi 1ET400A with my Summit X.
Considering the Benchmark AHB2 is 2,6 times as expensive as the Purifi 1ET400A (3499€ vs 1349€), saving so much money just for a "small difference" seems a good bargain.
Note that the Class D Purifi 1ET400A is specified as stable with 2 Ohms loads (2x 450W) while the Class AB Benchmark AHB2 is documented as NOT stable under 2 Ohms, only under 4 Ohms.

Personally I would not go for the Diablo, I owned it for some time , beautifully made and engineered but definately had a brightness to it long term I could not live with.

Thinking of using the Purifi 1ET400A for my Spires. Any recommendation on which to get, already in a box? I don't feel like shopping for a box and assembling, like I did years ago with a Hafler amp. That one did serve me very well with my previous ADS L710 speakers. But that was a long time ago. However, if there's a huge price difference I might consider assembly.

Thinking of using the Purifi 1ET400A for my Spires. Any recommendation on which to get, already in a box?
Most companies offering Purifi 1ET400A amplifiers, built in Denmark, are in Europe, so you will have to pay for higher shipment and taxes than from the States.
I bought mine from Audiophonics, a French company, and am very satisfied. Note that they also provide a smaller form factor, slightly less expensive. They ship to the US.
There is also Apollon Audio, offering more customizing options, but more expensive. They are based in Austria and ship to the US.

In the US, I found also VTV on Goggle, you may want to contact them.

A friend is lending me his Accuphase E-480 in mid-August to see how it sounds with the Renaissance 15a’s. I’m currently using the EAR v20 integrated amp, which works wonderfully with the 15a’s, but I can’t pass on this offer. I’ll report back with my impressions.
Hi, stereoman. Any updates on this? I'm strongly considering an E-370 or an E-650 at the moment, I've heard them both but not on electrostatics. Thanks!

Hello, keep me posted on this. Just grabbed 15's and may be playing with amps again.

Hi:
My friend lent me an Accuphase E-480 for one week in August. Strengths were in the lower mid-range and bass frequencies, and instrument timbre. Image depth and a comparative dryness were it’s weak points. I would have been happy with it if I hadn’t heard the EAR V20. It makes me appreciate the EAR more than ever. Steve Guttenberg reviewed the E-280 on YouTube in Aug. 2021. His comments match my impression of the E-480.
I also demoed an Allnic T2000 integrated amp. Bass frequencies were stronger and clearer, but high frequencies were missing in action. I assume this because of the ML’s low impedance.
Another friend wants to bring over a Ypsilon Phaethon for a demo in Dec.
A local dealer recommends the Luxman AX 590 Mk II. I might just give them a try, but I have a feeling that the EAR is the best match for my system and listening environment. I listen mostly to classical music at relatively low volume.

Hi:
My friend lent me an Accuphase E-480 for one week in August. Strengths were in the lower mid-range and bass frequencies, and instrument timbre. Image depth and a comparative dryness were it’s weak points. I would have been happy with it if I hadn’t heard the EAR V20. It makes me appreciate the EAR more than ever. Steve Guttenberg reviewed the E-280 on YouTube in Aug. 2021. His comments match my impression of the E-480.
I also demoed an Allnic T2000 integrated amp. Bass frequencies were stronger and clearer, but high frequencies were missing in action. I assume this because of the ML’s low impedance.
Another friend wants to bring over a Ypsilon Phaethon for a demo in Dec.
A local dealer recommends the Luxman AX 590 Mk II. I might just give them a try, but I have a feeling that the EAR is the best match for my system and listening environment. I listen mostly to classical music at relatively low volume.
Thank you very much. Based on the rather positive comments, I took the plunge and paid for a DP 550 SACD player / E 470 amplifier today. Fingers crossed!

Back