Summit X and the 24bit Vojtko DSP crossover

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
Noticed the Montis and Ethos have this technology that blends the woofer with panel better. However the Summit X seems not to have this technology. Does the Summit X with its two woofers not need this tech? Or does this mean another new Summit or replacement speaker? The older Spires were oh so close to the Summits in performance and now with this new upgrade to the Montis is there really room for the Summits in the lineup?

On a side note, nice to see Martin Logan continually pushing hybrid electrostatic technology.

Seems like it's about time for the Summit Xi (or maybe the XXX :D) to be announced! Anybody have a head's up on what ML has up their sleeve for their next Reserve Line release?

Last edited:
Seems like it's about time for the Summit Xi (or maybe the XXX :D) to be announced! Anybody have a head's up on what ML has up their sleeve for their next Reserve Line release?

I asked Peter S. about next-gen CLX plans in another thread. No response.

He did mention that here are no plans to replace the summit x. It is already a quite good with blending. I think those DSPs are doing more for bass extension than anything else and obviously the summit doesn't need help there.

It was four years between the Summit and the Summit X, and has been just under three years since the X, so I would expect them to release a replacement within the next year. There will always be room for the Summit -- It is the flagship of the hybrid line. But they better release something extra special to justify the five grand (30%) markup over the Montis! Currently, the only meaningful difference between the two is that the X goes 4 hz. lower, and I don't think that alone justifies that substantial a markup. Given the better woofer/panel integration of the Montis, I am thinking they will release a replacement sooner rather than later, as I can't see anyone wanting to spend $5000 more for a Summit X over a Montis right now.

It was four years between the Summit and the Summit X, and has been just under three years since the X, so I would expect them to release a replacement within the next year. There will always be room for the Summit -- It is the flagship of the hybrid line. But they better release something extra special to justify the five grand (30%) markup over the Montis! Currently, the only meaningful difference between the two is that the X goes 4 hz. lower, and I don't think that alone justifies that substantial a markup. Given the better woofer/panel integration of the Montis, I am thinking they will release a replacement sooner rather than later, as I can't see anyone wanting to spend $5000 more for a Summit X over a Montis right now.

The Montis might go to within 5hz of the Summit, but at what db? And at what distortion? I am betting there is a fairly significant difference between the two when you really break down the numbers. Physics says that the Summit will outperform the Montis at low frequencies. Now, of course, if you're planning to pair with subwoofers, that all becomes irrelevant.

Hocky,

At RMAF, ML had them playing at extremely loud levels. No audible distortion that I could hear.

GG

The Montis might go to within 5hz of the Summit, but at what db? And at what distortion? I am betting there is a fairly significant difference between the two when you really break down the numbers. Physics says that the Summit will outperform the Montis at low frequencies. Now, of course, if you're planning to pair with subwoofers, that all becomes irrelevant.

In the room sizes that the majority of people put these speakers in, I bet the difference is minimal. Probably only becomes noticeable in a much larger space. And as you say, if you have a good sub, then the difference is irrelevant for sure. I still say ML better come up with something really special for the next version of the Summit to justify the price increase over the Montis.

Back