summit speaker wire hookup

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
a long while back when Gordon had summits he connected his speaker wire differently than the standard method in some type of cris cross method . can anyone remember this and how he hooked them up? i tried to find it but couldn’t . thank u

Is this what you want ?

Attachments

• Summit.jpg
    Summit.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi Khenegar, nice to be remembered. It is called the "diagonal"connection method. Use with biwire terminals using jumpers with single wire setup. Purpose? Not a techie but potentially better sound. Easy to do. By the way, ML jumpers are marginal at best and I am being very kind. Upgrade jumpers using your current speaker cable brand or try a solid silver jumper or equivalent but will cost a bit more. I used a DH Labs "silver" wire as my jumpers. Used lug at one end and banana at the other to avoid two lug connections on one speaker terminal. Worthwhile and very audible in my previous Summit system. Best, Gordon
To Split Or Not To Split? - Nordost

Last edited:
a long while back when Gordon had summits he connected his speaker wire differently than the standard method in some type of cris cross method . can anyone remember this and how he hooked them up? i tried to find it but couldn’t . thank u

Thanks both Khenegar for highlighting wiring issue and Gordon for providing useful, relevant information.

After first major set up mistake viz. sub-optimal placement of speakers in room.

This is my second major set up mistake viz. incorrect wiring at amp side and loudspeaker side.

Result not achieve intended biwire and biamplify sonic benefit.

Now biwire with supplied ML metal jumpers.

Last edited:
Upgrade jumpers using your current speaker cable brand or try a solid silver jumper or equivalent but will cost a bit more.
I spent a lot of time making a set of four heavy copper jumpers for Martin Logans, but since I went active xo in 2012, they've been sitting on the mantle. Would trade for a Schiit Modius in black...

Attachments

• SL3Jumper small.jpg
    SL3Jumper small.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi Khenegar, nice to be remembered. It is called the "diagonal"connection method. Use with biwire terminals using jumpers with single wire setup. Purpose? Not a techie but potentially better sound. Easy to do. By the way, ML jumpers are marginal at best and I am being very kind. Upgrade jumpers using your current speaker cable brand or try a solid silver jumper or equivalent but will cost a bit more. I used a DH Labs "silver" wire as my jumpers. Used lug at one end and banana at the other to avoid two lug connections on one speaker terminal. Worthwhile and very audible in my previous Summit system. Best, Gordon
To Split Or Not To Split? - Nordost
A question for wiring expert Gordon.

Is it possible to biwire and perhaps bi-amplify without compromising sonics using only 2 sets of loudspeaker wire and no jumpers?

Assuming single power amp has one left and one right terminal.

…Is it possible to biwire and perhaps bi-amplify without compromising sonics using only 2 sets of loudspeaker wire and no jumpers?…

The Summit model is a very powerful speaker. Each has two 200watts power amplifier built in that drives each 10"woofer. You should not, by any circumstance bi-amp them. You are able to bi-wire. Your amplifier is not "load" by the low frequency of the signal. So, your power of your system's amplifier will be most to drive the stat panels. The crossover has a special circuit design that will load your amp with just the panels.

Happy listening!

…Is it possible to biwire and perhaps bi-amplify without compromising sonics using only 2 sets of loudspeaker wire and no jumpers?…

The Summit model is a very powerful speaker. Each has two 200watts power amplifier built in that drives each 10"woofer. You should not, by any circumstance bi-amp them. You are able to bi-wire. Your amplifier is not "load" by the low frequency of the signal. So, your power of your system's amplifier will be most to drive the stat panels. The crossover has a special circuit design that will load your amp with just the panels.

Happy listening!
I listen to ELS9 not Summit.

Roberto do you know whether possible or correct to biwire ELS9 without jumpers using 2 different sets of speaker cables.

i use single power amp Anthem MCA225 to connect speaker cables to. My Nordost has z plug termination and DH labs has spade termination. I connect both left cable to power amp left terminal and both right cable to power amp right terminal.

Is this method of connecting for biwire right or correct?

Usually the thicker cable is used for the woofers. Take off the speakers jumpers and from the same + of the power amp binding post connect two wires connectors. Be sure to use the same color for + and - then the thicker for bass in the speaker connector. You can use spade termination connector or one spade and one banana on each power amp binding post. Look the same color used in the amp for + and - in the speaker. Respect the polarity.
Happy listening!

On bi-wired cable you have only two connector on one side. Is the same thing to have two cables with four connectors. In the amp, be careful to not touch with any connector next to it. You can make a short circuit and blow one channel. In other words, red (+) should not touch the black (-). You must address this carefully.

Latest posts

Back