Summit Question, Need Opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

Russb

Reaction score
I have had my Summits now for about 6 months. After purchasing them I decided to sell my Descent sub. Now I am woundering if I should have kept the sub to help fill in the bottom end, or did I make the right move?
My room is 14'x40' long with the system on the short wall.Don't get me wrong I have great bass with the Summits, but could it have been better with the Descent? I would like other Summits owners opinions in this matter and anyone else who can help.

Thank You for your time.

Russ

DrJRapp

Reaction score
Some people are born worriers....

Unless you need the sub for LFE the Summits deliver the goods. I even think they are cleaner than the Descent, although YMMV.

Joey_V

Reaction score
14x40 is a HUGE room. I wouldve kept the Descents.

Oh well.. now you can have the Descent-i!!

Matten Logan

Reaction score
you have no need for a sub, even with a room that large. maybe if you want sub bass you should get a sub. otherwise a sub will really only be applicable in a HT environment where you want really high excursion merely for the increased SPL of explosions and the like. From a music standpoint, I dont think a sub is neccesary.
have fun!

kach22i

Reaction score
You should keep it for HT, you already have a seperate HT system?

If you stick with two channel only, I'm thinking you may not need it.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
I agree with kach22. If you'll be listening to music only, you do not need a sub. I'd recommend one only for ht. I have a Depth with my Summits and it's not a factor for music listening.

Russb

Reaction score
Thanks everbody for the imput. I think you are all right. I will just stick with the summit's. For 2 channel thats realy all you need. Have a good weekend

Russ

Joey_V

Reaction score
I had my Summits in a 14x24 room and I felt that I had to compensate for the bass by turning up the eq a little. With a room that size, and depending on how much of a bass hound you are, a Descent would help out the Summits down low. However, it probably isnt a prerequisite.

edwinr

Reaction score
Adding a very good sub to any full range speaker isn't such a bad idea. The emphasis is on the quality of the sub. If it interferes with the bass the Summits pump out, then you'll have a mess. So go for it if you want that real low level stuff but be prepared to tweak.

In saying that, it's disappointing that a lot of CD's don't feature any genuine low bass. They kind of start rolling off around 50 hz. Some CD's surprise me though - I can hear bass on these albums that I never knew existed with my old speakers.