Summit Crossover

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have not yet heard the Summit, but am very intrigued by some of the figures. Specifically, what has got me thinking is the crossover frequency of 270Hz, coupled with the fact that the woofers are powered by a seperate built-in amplifier. Now, 270Hz is around C4 (middle C) - seemingly a little high to allow a seperate (different timbre, voicing, etc) amplifier to be driving them.

I am interested in anyone's opinion who has heard the summit, or owners too. Is it possible to by-pass this amplifier?

Of course, the drivers are going to sound different to the ES Panel anyway, and the crossover is way lower than on my Aerius, but I guess I am a bit of a purist!

amey01 said:
Hi all,

I have not yet heard the Summit, but am very intrigued by some of the figures. Specifically, what has got me thinking is the crossover frequency of 270Hz, coupled with the fact that the woofers are powered by a seperate built-in amplifier. Now, 270Hz is around C4 (middle C) - seemingly a little high to allow a seperate (different timbre, voicing, etc) amplifier to be driving them.

I am interested in anyone's opinion who has heard the summit, or owners too. Is it possible to by-pass this amplifier?

Of course, the drivers are going to sound different to the ES Panel anyway, and the crossover is way lower than on my Aerius, but I guess I am a bit of a purist!

Hello...well, all I can say is this: Summits are one of the best, if not the best from ML. I have being playing with them for over one month, and only have found little minor flaws, like I would like to have a volume control, not only the two knobs that controls the bass...one at 50 Hz and the other at 25 Hz. Yes, I know that both will add or take off 10 dBs and these will be enough to control the standing waves in any room...but to my liking, I would like to control the bass level also. Don´t worry about the bass...they provide enough and very clean...one of the best that I have ever listenend, and I´m with ML since 87...so I can assure you that these babes really sing!!!. Also, please, find a place where a dealer near you have them and listen to them...you will be in love as much as most of us had...they are breath-taking sound. The size of the instruments, the scenario, the image, the air between instruments, are just something that you must enjoy!!!...judging by your comments, I can see that you are a musician, and now I know why you are with ML...the truth in sound, right? Your Aerius are great in size, right timbre and also great in soundstage...their crossover is at 500 Hz and the Aerius i at 450 Hz...do you have any problem with the timbre with them? I think that your Aerius are one of the best also...they are just a fine product, very smooth with the piano notes and the guitar...the guitar!...they sing also. But the Summits are different in many ways than your Aerius...with the new panels are one of the most dynamic speaker, even if you compare them with cone speakers ...I have a friend that he is using only 30 W/ch tube amp (Margules U-280 tube in triode mode amp) and his room is big. If you are thinking regarding the timbre at 270 Hz, the harmonic content at that specific frequency, is not that important, what it is important is that the new panels are about 17% more effective, and these means that you don´t need big amps any more...we know that the best sounding amps are in the range of 25 to 100 W/ch if you want to be really purist. You don´t hear the woofers acting...no sir...just pleasant music...and you listen the musician(s) making the music for you...not just the music. With them, you can detect easily the musicans at the recording...you can tell who is playing, even if you don´t know the recording. When you play a note, at C4 (midle C) you need the panels to resolve what particular instrument is playing that C, they will, with the upper even harmonics, tell you what instrument is playing that note...if you take the harmonics off, you get only the frequency (270 Hz), but not the instruments...the upper harmonics are the ones that will tell which instrument is playing that note...right? Please, do you best and try to go where the Summits are, and enjoy their marvelous sound, the stage and right timbre that these babes give...happy listening,
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Back