Summit and tube amplifiers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

My old Music reference rm-9 makes lovely noise with my summits, and can be found quite cheap on audiogon from time to time. A very good amplifier by any standard, and it has 2 ohm taps. I also have a Kora galaxy 50 watt with 6AS7 tubes that did not work well with the summit. The top octaves vanished!

My CAT JL-2 is preferred, but the price is a "bit" higher :rolleyes:

Both of these amps sound better to me with the Zeros autoformers, but also very good without

Tiberium said:
All tube amps are like that not just the 275 and why change a flawless design?

wouldn't quite call the 275 flawless, it still has it's outdated speaker terminals, but then I guess that it gives it that "timeless" look !!

McIntosh MC275 IV...

The sound was what reached out and really grabbed me. ;) The pair of McIntosh MC 275's I auditioned were the newest version "Mark IV" the tubes plugged into a signal circuit board with gold and ceramic pin connections (instead of point to point connections of the older models), had gold balanced and unbalanced outlets. larger transformers etc. the newest model MC 275 IV is nicely appointed and improved from the older version according to Stereophile.

Most importantly for me the sound imaging, stage and timber was simply captivating to my ears. The sound was unlike anything I had ever heard, a smooth clear tone that was simply sweet to my ears. The sound had no hint of harshness, only beautifully sweet with punch and beautifully mellow bass and lovely highs (without any edge) at high volumes the sound only sounded better lacking nothing... What was more as low volume all registers were just as sweetly present in the music. I was really amazed, total Sonic Nirvana for me. :D
The MC 275 amp's were simply connected to the source a McIntosh MCD 201. I only wished, I could have heard this set-up with ML electrostatic speakers, instead of the B&W 800D's... :eek:

I can hardly wait to hear / read what edwinr has to say of his audition with Summits... :) This is an important step to see just how the MC 275 will perform with a pair of wonderful electrostatic speakers like the Summits or the Vantages...
I say - Thank you and Bravo to edwinr for taking on this audition project.

Last edited:
Robin said:
The sound was what reached out and really grabbed me. ;) The pair of McIntosh MC 275's I auditioned were the newest version "Mark IV" the tubes plugged into a signal circuit board with gold and ceramic pin connections (instead of point to point connections of the older models), had gold balanced and unbalanced outlets. larger transformers etc. the newest model MC 275 IV is nicely appointed and improved from the older version according to Stereophile.

Most importantly for me the sound imaging, stage and timber was simply captivating to my ears. The sound was unlike anything I had ever heard, a smooth clear tone that was simply sweet to my ears. The sound had no hint of harshness, only beautifully sweet with punch and beautifully mellow bass and lovely highs (without any edge) at high volumes the sound only sounded better lacking nothing... What was more as low volume all registers were just as sweetly present in the music. I was really amazed, total Sonic Nirvana for me. :D
The MC 275 amp's were simply connected to the source a McIntosh MCD 201. I only wished, I could have heard this set-up with ML electrostatic speakers, instead of the B&W 800D's... :eek:

I can hardly wait to hear / read what edwinr has to say of his audition with Summits... :) This is an important step to see just how the MC 275 will perform with a pair of wonderful electrostatic speakers like the Summits or the Vantages...
I say - Thank you and Bravo to edwinr for taking on this audition project.

Robin -

What you heard with those Macs was the sound of tubes in general. McIntosh does make a very good product and the 275s are fairly reasonably priced. However, if you're shelling out the big bucks for tube amplification, you might as well audition other contenders. Who knows, you might even be able to pick something up on Audiogon for a good price.

Good Point...

aliveatfive said:
Robin -

What you heard with those Macs was the sound of tubes in general. McIntosh does make a very good product and the 275s are fairly reasonably priced. However, if you're shelling out the big bucks for tube amplification, you might as well audition other contenders. Who knows, you might even be able to pick something up on Audiogon for a good price.
aliveatfive,

Yes, your point is well taken. I do plan on auditioning other tubed amplifiers as well. Unfortunately, I will have to travel very far afield to audition the amplifiers I want to hear, like the BAT,AES, Audio Research and other amplifiers I will be visiting Southern California in a few weeks, autions in the area of Santa Barbara and Ventura County. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

wouldn't quite call the 275 flawless, it still has it's outdated speaker terminals, but then I guess that it gives it that "timeless" look !!

So you are saying that a connection is not being made with these "old" terminals?

Ya like the MC2102.

connection is being made you are just limited as to what type you can use (large spades won't fit, forget about bannanas)

connection is being made you are just limited as to what type you can use (large spades won't fit, forget about bannanas)

Dave, here's one way to solve the barrier strip problem with the MC-275:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102809

I'm using one to drive my CLS IIz's and they've never sounded better! I have a Mk IV. The just out Mk V has regular binding posts ;)

Last edited:
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed listening to the MC-275's. I've had a couple of listens now and frankly, they just don't 'light my fire'. There's plenty of power there - no argument about that. But there's something missing with the Summits. Maybe some 'air' or 'sparkle'?

I thinks that's what I'm getting at... The MC-275's sound a little 'dark'.

Now that impression could all be solved by a little tube rolling. But I'm not sure that's the way to go. Now I'm more interested in an ARC tube power amplifier, either the VS55 or the more powerful VS110.

Hmmm...

Edwin, I think I can help. First a bit more info. Are you running rca or balanced? What model 275? Are you using one in stereo, or two in mono? Whatever you do, avoid ARC, been there done that. Waaay too dry.

Neil

Edwin, I think I can help. First a bit more info. Are you running rca or balanced? What model 275? Are you using one in stereo, or two in mono? Whatever you do, avoid ARC, been there done that. Waaay too dry.

Neil

The 275's were the most recent version (store demo) run in stereo - okay you're suggesting try these in mono?

At the moment I'm running an ARC LS26 MkII preamp and a Proceed BPA2 s/s power amp. I'm looking at improving this setup and was considering a tube power amp. Because I've already got an ARC preamp this is the reason I'm considering keeping to ARC. The LS26 is a good preamp tending towards the 'lean' side of neutral. So I'd like a richer sounding power amp.

The 275's were the most recent version (store demo) run in stereo - okay you're suggesting try these in mono?

At the moment I'm running an ARC LS26 MkII preamp and a Proceed BPA2 s/s power amp. I'm looking at improving this setup and was considering a tube power amp. Because I've already got an ARC preamp this is the reason I'm considering keeping to ARC. The LS26 is a good preamp tending towards the 'lean' side of neutral. So I'd like a richer sounding power amp.

No no. Stereo is fine. And I assume since it's a store demo, it has the stock McIntosh tubes? (Again, are you using balanced or RCA interconnects?) If RCA, turn the volume knobs all the way up (to take them out of the circuit.) If the amp has stock tubes and you are running with RCA interconnects, you should change all the McChina 12AX7's for Telefunken 12AX7's (V1, V2, V5) and you will be totally amazed! Like a whole different amp. Detailed, airy, beautiful mid-range, not dull or dark like with the stock 12AX7 tubes. (BTW, you don't really need to change the V1 tube if you're running balanced as it's not in the signal path.)

Now, as to why I think the MC275 MkIV (or Mk V) is the perfect amp for the stats, please read my (#6) post at:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3747

Last edited:
Only one mention of VTL so far? Not that I am saying they are the end-all of tube amps. I would assume anything above the ST150 would be a good option for MLs. Anyone with more experience than I? We have the ST150 powering the Vantage at the shop...I havent taken the time to seriously listen to the setup, but I sure will.

Also, one of the best sounds I have heard from Martin Logans was using a high end Project TT (cant remember the model) through a Musical Fidelity A308cr integrated driving the Prodigy. It was unreal. :)

(Again, are you using balanced or RCA interconnects?)

Forgot that question, yeah they were unbalanced but at home I use all balanced interconnects with Nordost Heimdal cables. The store demo has only stock tubes from what I remember - I haven't heard this amplifer at my home - only in store. Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think ARC would be a good match with Mac's, I would have to consider a tube preamp change.

My old Music reference rm-9 makes lovely noise with my summits, and can be found quite cheap on audiogon from time to time. A very good amplifier by any standard, and it has 2 ohm taps.

That's a good one! The RM-9 must be one of the best-kept secrets in the MLOC. Wonder why nobody talks much about them. The synergy they create with MLs is just wonderful. At "only" 100 wpc they can make MLs rock, loudly and cleanly, with solid bass, and that's not their only virtue either.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed listening to the MC-275's. I've had a couple of listens now and frankly, they just don't 'light my fire'. There's plenty of power there - no argument about that. But there's something missing with the Summits. Maybe some 'air' or 'sparkle'?

I thinks that's what I'm getting at... The MC-275's sound a little 'dark'.

Now that impression could all be solved by a little tube rolling. But I'm not sure that's the way to go. Now I'm more interested in an ARC tube power amplifier, either the VS55 or the more powerful VS110.

Don't be too quick to blame the amp or the speakers for the dark sound. I thought the same of my system until I swapped components and discovered that it was the preamp that was the prince of darkness.

Sleepysurf let me borrow his Modwright 9.0 SE for a couple of weeks and it was a perfect match for my system. It really brought back the sparkle I was looking for without sacrificing tight bass, transparency, soundstage, imaging and other audio grails we typically seek.

Latest posts

Back