Summit and compability!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking

Reaction score
Summit and compatability!

I`m contemplating to get Martin Logan Summits for my future dedicated 2-channel setup. As a front end I most likely will get EMMLABS CDSD and DCC2, my amp is my "old" Pass Labs X350.5. Do you think the Pass will cope with the Summits low impedance (0,7 ohm) in the treble? How do you think these components will match?
Another question is how small a room can a Summit play in? My room is only just under 7 feet tall, I can sit as close as I wasnt as it`s a dedicated soundroom :)
How close can they stand to a sidewall and rearwall? I have acoustic treatments that I can move to the reflectionpoints etc etc.
PS:From first time I heard Martin Logans I`ve loved the sound of their panels!

Last edited:
Viking said:
I`m contemplating to get Martin Logan Summits for my future dedicated 2-channel setup. As a front end I most likely will get EMMLABS CDSD and DCC2, my amp is my "old" Pass Labs X350.5. Do you think the Pass will cope with the Summits low impedance (0,7 ohm) in the treble? How do you think these components will match?
Another question is how small a room can a Summit play in? My room is only just under 7 feet tall, I can sit as close as I wasnt as it`s a dedicated soundroom :)
How close can they stand to a sidewall and rearwall? I have acoustic treatments that I can move to the reflectionpoints etc etc.
PS:From first time I heard Martin Logans I`ve loved the sound of their panels!
Hola Viking...it all depends of your liking. The Summits will show any component of your system chain. Also, they are easier to drive. If you look carefully at their specs, you will find out its sesitivity...first ML electrostatic to offer such high sensitivity. You amp will drive only the panles, because as you know, they have built in two power amplifiers to drive each woofer. Most hi-end amplifiers in now days will drive them with no problem. Also, I think that at the Show in Vegas, ML was using Pass Labs to demo the Summits. Pass Labs is one of the best brands on the market place today. As I said before, it is your liking. As an example, I like tube sound...the warmth of the tubes, my ears are gratefull, but also I do like SS. Regarding your room size, don't worry about it...they have to setted at least 2 feet away from the back wall, 3 feet is better. Al ML electrostatic need these. And with the standing waves, you have two controls to adjust the exact level match for your room or any room size. This feature is one of the most advisable of all.
Hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

I love the sound of the Pass, the system I currently own is a 5.1 setup with JMLAB Altoutopia BEs as fronts, Centerutopia Be, Subutopia Be and Miniutopias as rears. Here I use the Pass X350.5 for the fronts asn I`m going to use it for the Summits. If I decide I will order components tomorrow, and I probably will use 2x velodyne dd12 for that last ounce of bass as my room is hungry in the bass and tend to roll off steep around 40Hz.

That was a nice system, as I`ve read alot the last days many people obviously like the sound og Martin Logans paired with Pass Labs amps- NICE :)

I guess I`m ordering a pair of Summits and a pair of EMMlabs for some trying out :)

So the order is in: Summit in natural cherry with brushed aluminium trim, I get them in approx. 2-3 weeks :)

That's weird. I was quoted a 10 week delivery for speakers finished exactly like yours. This is in New york, btw.

:) The norwegian distributor had ordered these a long time ago and of the five pairs 1 was free :)

I must admit I`m looking forward to getting and tweaking the speakers placements, adjusting the active woofers, etc etc. :)

Viking!!

Congrats! I just got new Ascent i's so I figure I have another 5-10 years before I make another jump. Took me 20 to get MLs in the first place. I look forward to seeing your reviews of them as you get them broke in.

By the way, last night when I read this thread, there were some negative comments on here by someone who calls themselves "Tascam". This morning all of his comments are gone and he no longer shows up in the Member listing. I guess if you can afford to buy Summits, you can afford to make someone dissappear. I will keep this in mind if I ever do not agree with something that you say or do. LOL :)

MarkNewbie said:
Viking!!

Congrats! I just got new Ascent i's so I figure I have another 5-10 years before I make another jump. Took me 20 to get MLs in the first place. I look forward to seeing your reviews of them as you get them broke in.

By the way, last night when I read this thread, there were some negative comments on here by someone who calls themselves "Tascam". This morning all of his comments are gone and he no longer shows up in the Member listing. I guess if you can afford to buy Summits, you can afford to make someone dissappear. I will keep this in mind if I ever do not agree with something that you say or do. LOL :)
The comments you refer to wasn`t just negative, they were attacks on my person. I`m glad the moderator delete writings that will only do damage to this great forum :)

Viking said:
The comments you refer to wasn`t just negative, they were attacks on my person. I`m glad the moderator delete writings that will only do damage to this great forum :)

I too, am glad he is gone. What he was saying was not called for. I think your a fine person. Can I borrow your Summits sometime? Just kidding. It's that bad humor thing of mine. I hate it when it comes out. Seriously, if you want to send them though, I can provide you with my home address. Oops, did it again! :eek:

I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to hearing about those Summits as you get them broken in!

Mark
:D

Now they`ve arrived at the national distributor, my dealer is getting the Summits on monday and he`ll send em up to me ASAP :)

Congratulations, Viking. I'm still waiting for mine. Haven't heard anything yet. Let us know how you set them up and all other salient details. What are you replacing? IMHO, it's not necessary to post a picture. If I want to see 'em, I can look at ML's website!

FWIW - I originally wanted Prodigys, but they were too big also. I settled for Ascent is (which did not disappoint) but when I saw and heard the Summits, I wanted them.

aliveatfive said:
FWIW - I originally wanted Prodigys, but they were too big also. I settled for Ascent is (which did not disappoint) but when I saw and heard the Summits, I wanted them.

I feel the same as you do Aliveatfive, I fell in love with the prodigy’s (but the price and room size required stopped me) but I was able to swing the ascents, and now Martin Logan has replaced the prodigy with the summit. A speaker with a smaller footprint and big sound. I am jealous of the both of you, I wish I could place my order for a pair of summits but that will have to wait. Congrats to both of you.

Zip -
Thanks for the kind words, but I won't believe I actually have them until I have them!

aliveatfive said:
Zip -
Thanks for the kind words, but I won't believe I actually have them until I have them!

I like living vicariously through you and the others with Summits. I hope you post pics when you get them... kind of like a scrap book from box to final speaker toe-in positioning.

Remember!!! PICS!! Hehehehe... ;) .

Back